Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Seven Days to Goodbye & Starting Over by Sheri S Levy @goddessfish @SheriSLevy




TENS LIST

MY FAVORITE THINGS TO DO

I have written my list of my most favorite things to do. This definitely gets personal and brings many fun memories to mind.

1.Reading- As a child, I looked forward to going to the library. I’d check out as many books as allowed, then choose during my car ride home which book I was going to be read first. I’d hide under my covers with a flashlight and read until I fell asleep.
There was nothing nicer than snuggling with my own children and reading picture books, and then chapter books. They’d memorize the words and read the books to me. One of my childrens favorites was Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible No Good Day Very Bad Day.
Reading was my favorite subject to teach. It has been rewarding to tutor children and adults who have Dyslexia and be able to explain how to read phonetically and help them break the code.

2.Dogs- While growing-up, I played with my loveable brown, Dachshund, Heidi. She went from bed to bed at night and crawled under the sheets to keep our feet warm. My children grew-up with two of our furry companions. The first was a rescue, a five-year-old German Shepherd. As each dog left us, we chose again. My son and daughter picked out an eight-week-old White Shepherd. Years later, my husband and I chose our first Australian shepherd pup, who friended a stray black Lab pup. And then we continued with three more Australian shepherds.
I can’t imagine being without a dog. The two we own now, sit next to my desk, one on each side and wait for their playtime. They keep me active by nudging me to go for walks, or to play catch the ball, or Frisbee.

3.Traveling- My husband and I enjoyed traveling with our children around the United States. After we retired, we took a month-long driving trip across the US with our first Aussie and Lab. They stayed in hotels, walked the streets with us, and sat under the table while we ate. Later, we had a dog sitter and traveled to China, Europe, United Kingdom and Ireland. After using every mode of transportation, we’ve discovered cruising.

4. Edisto Beach- Growing up in California, my favorite spot to hang out with friends was on the beach. The water was a beautiful shade of blue but always freezing. When my husband and I moved to South Carolina, we discovered a quiet and non-commercial beach. We rented an old house for long weekends, enjoyed the warm, brown-water, watched Pelicans dive for their dinner, and dolphins swim close to shore, feeding on fish. We ate boiled shrimp, and let our Aussie and Lab swim and run on the beach. Our time at Edisto has grown into two, relaxing weeks every October.

5.Kayaking- When our adult children and grandchildren share five days with us on Edisto Island, we rent Kayaks. During one session in the ocean, the dolphins swam up to our grand boys’ kayak. This activity has become a ritual, and created many fun memories. Now, we have moved to a place on a river and with tidal creeks and have enjoyed kayaking with the Paddlers Club. The breath-taking scenery is filled with Live Oak trees with Spanish Moss, herons, eagles, egrets, red-tailed hawks, pelicans, Eastern bluebirds, ospreys, and alligators.

6.Swimming&Water Aerobics- I have always loved being in the water. Now I am taking the time to swim laps and do water aerobics. I spend too much time sitting in front of my computer, writing. The exercise is relaxing and fun. Maybe one day we’ll have a boat and go exploring the coastal areas.

7.Music- I spent years dancing to music, but my husband has introduced me to listening to concerts. Since he played three instruments, he has tried to educate me on music. I love going to concerts, musicals, and small venues with new and up-coming singer-song writers.

8.Tequila- Once again, my California culture was filled with speaking Spanish, Mexican food, and after turning twenty-one, Margaritas. I traveled with my high school exchange students to their home in Los Mochas, Sinaloa. Now that I am gluten-free, I can only drink alcohol that is not made from grain. Tequila is made for an Agave plant and Is actually a probiotic. We have gone Tequila tasting in Mexico. It is similar to wine tasting. Every area that grows agave has a different flavor because of the amount of water, sunshine, the soil, etc. just like grapes grown on vines.

9.Chocolate- Because of my allergies, my favorite food in the world is dark chocolate. It is hard to eat pastries, unless I make my own. I carry small pieces of chocolate with me wherever I go. I treat myself when I need a burst of energy, or just a feel like I need a reward for- anything!

10.Five o’clock in the evening- I try very hard to turn off my computer by five o’clock. I may go back to work later, but this our time before dinner for conversation. The music comes on, we have a glass of wine, the dogs lay next to our feet, and we talk about our day. This has been a ritual for us for forty-eight years. When our children were little, they enjoyed this time with us, and our music. They stood in front of the fireplace and did karaoke.  

Now you know most of my favorite things.

ABOUT THE BOOK


Seven Days to Goodbye & Starting Over
by Sheri S Levy



GENRE:   Young Adult- coming of age


BLURB:

Thirteen year old, Trina has chosen to raise service dogs and have puppy after puppy. But during her seven day beach vacation, Trina struggles with having to return Sydney at the end of the week and worrying about her best friend changing into a stranger. To complicate the week, Sydney, meets a young boy with autism and the girls meet his two older brothers. Tension is raised over the guys, and Trina fears she’ll lose more than her service dog. Will Trina's lose her best friend, also?




EXCERPT

Uh, oh. The wind lifted the Frisbee into the air. It looked as if the disc had sprouted wings, and disappeared up and over the jetty. Sydney halted, staring at me. He was used to chasing his toy. His eyes asked for permission as his body quivered pent-up energy. Letting him struggle for a minute, I giggled and said, “Okay, Syd. Find Frisbee.”

I did a slow jog towards the rocks and seconds later, Sarah called, “Wait for me.” I did a slow jog towards the rocks and seconds later, Sarah called, “Wait for me.”

I turned around and stopped. “Wow, you're joining me! Come on. I’ve got to
find Syd’s Frisbee. It’s on the other side.”

We climbed over the jetty. The dogs used their four-legged drive and moved much faster than Sarah or me. When we reached the top of the mound, Sydney stood a distance away with his Frisbee at his feet, leaning close to a small boy. The boy continued to pat the sand in his bucket and turn it upside down, making a row of mounds.

My heart did a triple beat in quarter time. I started running. Sydney’s stub wiggled and jiggled as soon as the boy’s sandy hands rubbed his back.

“I’m sorry,” I said running ahead. I bent, face to face with the boy. “I hope he didn’t scare you.”

The boy never looked at me, only at Sydney and back to the sand. He said in a monotone voice, “Doggy, doggy.”

Sarah meandered up to us. I panted in fast spurts. Worried about the boy and Sydney, I never noticed the rest of the group. A little ways from the small boy, two guys around our age worked on a fort or it could have been a sand castle. The one who seemed to be the oldest, stood. He had long legs and was much taller than I expected. Using his hand, he shoved his longish brown bangs out of his eyes.

Oh, Sarah had definitely noticed. She smiled, pushed loose hair back into her braid and pulled her bathing suit in place.

I rolled my eyes. Okay. Here she goes.

   


AUTHOR Bio and Links:



Sheri, originally from California, moved to South Carolina with her husband, two children and a Siamese cat. Soon they adopted their first rescue dog who influenced their need to continue living with dogs. Sheri taught a multi-handicapped Special Ed class, and then a GED-parenting class, which included home visits. Because of her love of reading, Sheri found unusual ways to encourage children to read. After her rescue of a difficult dog, Sheri enrolled in dog classes to change his behavior. Her dream of writing, Seven Days to Goodbye, came from the culmination of her beach experiences, her understanding of behaviors, and from research with PAALS, a service dog organization.
Links:
ISBN: 978-1-935460-74-9   EBook- 978-1-935460-75-6
Facebook.com/Sherislevyauthor342003522553368
Twitter: @SheriSLevy




GIVEAWAY

Sheri S Levy will be awarding a $20 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

7 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thanks for hosting!

Lisa Brown said...

Congrats on the tour and thanks for the chance to win :)

sheri levy said...

Thanks, Lisa, Hope you win a prize. And thanks Goddessfish for hosting me on this tour!

Victoria Alexander said...

Awesome list, it could've definitely been my own :D

sheri levy said...

Oh, that's fun! Thank for reading, Victoria. What your favorite thing on my list?

Nikolina said...

I am really enjoying following this tour, thank you for all the great blog posts and excerpts!

sheri levy said...

Hi Nikolina, I am just seeing your post. I did answer this and the computer tossed out my reply! Thank you so much for your comments. It has been fun chatting. Hope you get to read Seven Days to Goodbye and Starting Over. Reviews are up on Goodreads.