Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Jane Austen Lied to Me by Jeanette Watts @goddessfish @JeanetteAWatts






CHARACTER INTERVIEW
With Lizzie


Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

I really want to go to a Spanish-speaking country, so that I can really practice what I'm learning in Spanish class.  I love speaking in Spanish. I think I'm learning more Latin American Spanish than Spain Spanish, so it does make me wonder. Can I get by in Spain? Or will my North American accent be too strong? Maybe I'd better start in Mexico or Guatemala or something, to make sure I'm doing it right. But I think someday I'd like to also go to Spain, just to really hear for myself how the language is different.

Is there a writer you idolize? If so who?

OMG, Jane Austen. I'm absolutely nuts about Jane Austen. Her characters are spunky, and smart, and the way Jane tells a story is so clever. No one else writes quite like Jane. She's sort of cynical, yet a romantic and an optimist all at the same time.


What do you think makes a good story?

I like happy endings. And believable characters. That's what I love about Jane Austen. She always has both.

Tell us about your family.

Well, my parents own a nursing home. It's not terribly exciting as family businesses go, but it's certainly a solid living. People are always going to be getting old and sick.

I have a younger sister, Wendy, and a younger-then-Wendy brother, David. Wendy is just a year behind me in school, and David is several years than us girls. Wendy and I mostly fight when we're together, because she can't seem to keep her hands off my stuff while I'm away at college. David's pretty alright. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else in the family, and likes to tell me what to do all the time. I mostly ignore him. But sometimes he actually has some good insight.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I don't think I ever got to have an opinion about that. Because my parents own a nursing home, they want me to become part of the family business. They expect me to become a pharmacist. I'm getting worried, though; all my prerequisite classes for being able to get into the School of Pharmacology aren't going so well. I think I'm failing Chemistry. Not doing so well in my math class, either. I don't know what I'm going to tell my parents if I can't get in. There's never been a Plan B.

What is your favorite meal?

Thai, or Vietnamese, or Chinese. Actually, I will happily take any cuisine on earth that makes egg rolls. And yes, I'm counting things like spring rolls as egg rolls.

What do you do to unwind and relax?

The two things I do to de-stress are on exact opposite ends of the spectrum. The first is to grab one of Jane's books, and read a passage. If I'm feeling like I will never get life figured out, I will feel reassured that things do get worked out if I read Captain Wentworth's love letter to Anne at the end of Persuasion. It's breathtaking. If I'm feeling stupid, I might read a section from Northanger Abbey. I love Catherine, she's my age, and she can be kind of stupid, too. If I'm feeling lonely and I wish I had a confidante I could trust, I read Pride and Prejudice and pretend I'm that Lizzie, and I have a sister Jane to talk to.

On the other hand, playing a video game with my brother or friends, and blowing things up can be the most awesome way to clear my mind. I always sleep really well after I've been playing a video game and blowing things up.



What would we find under your bed?

OMG, what wouldn't you find under my bed... The thing about college dorm rooms, you've got a twin bed, so it limits how much ends up under there. I've got my duffle bag under there, got to have someplace to put your laundry when you go home for Thanksgiving. My kleenex box is under there, because it's easier to reach than the top of my dresser when I'm laying in bed. I usually have a couple pairs of shoes and my boots under there, because there isn't much room in the closet for shoes. There's a box my Mom put togther for me of useful stuff: super glue, extra shoelaces, 4 different kinds of tape, scissors, a little sewing kit with all different kinds of colored threads in case I lose a button or something, spare phone charging cables, I don't know what all is in there. It's a lot of stuff. But the box was too tall to fit in my desk drawer, and I didn't want it taking up space in my dresser, so it's under the bed.

Under my bed at home there's a flat box for off season clothes, so there's sweaters in it during the summer, and shorts and t-shirts in it during the winter. There's also a bag full of stuffed animals that I was planning on bringing with me to college, but David and Wendy insisted that it just wouldn't be cool to bring them. So at the last minute, I just shoved the bag under the bed. I've seen plenty of girls with stuffed animals in their rooms, so next time I go home I'm thinking of maybe bringing at least a couple of them.

Tell us about your favorite restaurant.

My favorite restaurant is going to depend on what day of the week it is, and what sort of mood I'm in. There's this Chinese place on campus that has a special deal on Thursdays, egg roll and won ton soup and either General Tso's Chicken or Kung Pao Chicken for $6.99. The Vietnamese place has certain flavors of pho on special on Tuesdays. There's a Mexican place off campus that requires having a car, so when I get to have an off-campus experience, it's high on the list. And there's a new Thai place that I've been wanting to try, from the sound of it, once I go there it will be my new favorite restaurant.

Is there a piece of advice that you have received that has really stuck with you? If so, what was it?

Well, my Calculus professor said that every person we know is like a math problem. If you have a boyfriend that you want to cheer up, you know the formula for doing that. But if you broke up with him and got a different boyfriend, you're going to need a whole new set of equations. The formulas for pleasing my Mom, or my sister, or my teachers, are all very different, because they all want different things from me.

ABOUT THE BOOK

Jane Austen Lied to Me
by Jeanette Watts



GENRE: Humor


BLURB:

What college girl doesn’t dream of meeting Mr. Darcy? Lizzie was certainly no exception. But when Darcy Fitzwilliam comes into her life, he turns out to be every bit as aggravating as Elizabeth Bennett’s Fitzwilliam Darcy. So what’s a modern girl to do?

Jeanette Watts’ satire pokes loving fun at Jane and all of us who worship the characters who shall forever be our romantic ideals.

Amazon  https://zurl.co/KvLWp

Read FREE with Kindle Unlimited!



EXCERPT


Well!  That was interesting.  My roommate invited me along to this frat party she was going to.  She went through something called rush week, and she is now pledged to a sorority.  She said the frats are less formal than the sororities, and even though I wasn’t a pledge I could go with her.  I figured, why not, it should be fun, right?

I got to meet the guy she’s chasing.  I couldn’t blame her for being interested.  He’s cute, and sweet, and considerate, and a total people-pleaser.  One of his parents must be the demanding sort who is never happy. 

He introduced us to his friend… whose name is Darcy Fitzwilliam!  I wasn’t sure at first that the guy wasn’t just pulling our legs.

“Your mother obviously loves Jane Austen,” I laughed.

“Obviously,” he answered.  Not much to go by.

“I love Pride and Prejudice,” I continued.

“I hate Pride and Prejudice.” I can only describe the look he was giving me as hostile.

“I think you will find yourself very much in a minority,” I answered, returning his look with one of my own.

We didn’t talk any more that night.  Talk about getting off on the wrong foot! 


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Jeanette Watts had been writing historic fiction when the inspiration for Jane Austen Lied to Me hit her on the drive home from the Jane Austen Festival. The idea was simply irresistible, and she put aside other writing projects in order to focus on writing a satire, thinking it would be a "mental vacation." It turned out to take every bit as much research to write a modern story as it does to write a historical one.

She has written television commercials, marketing newspapers, stage melodramas, four screenplays, three novels, and a textbook on waltzing.  When she isn’t writing, she teaches social ballroom dances, refinishes various parts of her house, and sews historical costumes and dance costumes for her Cancan troupe.

Links:

Webpage
www.JeanetteWatts.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/jeanette.watts.94

https://www.facebook.com/Jane-Austen-Lied-to-Me-342613389485243/

Twitter
@JeanetteAWatts



GIVEAWAY

Jeanette Watts will be awarding a doll dressed in Regency clothing, handcrafted by the author (International Giveaway) to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.





a Rafflecopter giveaway

5 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thanks for hosting!

Jeanette Watts said...

Hi, Laurie! Thank you so much for having me!

Rita Wray said...

I enjoyed the post, thank you.

pailofpearls said...

Nice interview.
Your writing history sounds fun. What kind of commercials did you write?

Jeanette Watts said...

Hi, Pearls!

I did TV commercials for the local Pittsburgh market. Car dealerships, furniture stores, and colleges were probably the majority of my clients. I adored doing it. I was the producer as well as the writer. It was like being in film school, but getting paid for it!