Sunday, August 27, 2017

Jane of Manchester by J.G. Dow







Interview 


 How did you start your writing career?

 I basically began by writing poetry and entered a few competitions and things like that but never won anything and then I decided to try and write a novel. My first book was a science fiction type thing and since that, I've done a few others in differing genres. Jane of Manchester is my first in the chick lit category so was a departure from my normal style but I enjoyed writing it and hope a few folk will like reading it!


Tell us about a favourite character from a book.

 I liked the character Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye as he was very amusing but also quite troubled and lost and I think that you relate to that sort of person when you're younger especially but even now in my thirties, there is still that connection to that type of person and he made for a really good protagonist. I do like Salinger as a writer generally as well.


Who is your favourite author? 

Very difficult to have just one as there are so many I like but someone I keep buying books by is Richard Brautigan. His novels are very slim and don't take long to read but are so original and inventive and each one is brilliant in it's own individual way and can be revisited and enjoyed again. I still have a few by him to get and will be sad when I've read them all as he's dead now unfortunately and so won't be doing any more.


What do you think makes a good story? 

A good story is anything that can keep your interest and make you care about the characters. I like a good strong main character and a decent plot can help also. Twists and turns and cliff hangers can be fun as well if done right and humour is always welcome in my opinion although sad and serious are just as good come to think of it.


What are your favourite TV shows?

I like Seinfeld and Curb your Enthusiasm and enjoy Match of the Day for football highlights as well as snooker when it's on the BBC a few times a year. I watch mainly comedies but like documentaries as well particularly Louis Theroux ones as I think he has a great interviewing technique and makes great programs. The Simpsons as well of course!


What do you do to unwind and relax?

Reading and listening to music are good as well as the aforementioned TV shows I like. Going for the odd walk is good for unwinding as well and for thinking up plots for novels. I go to pubs and bars once a week for a few beers as well with friends and enjoy a good curry- plenty of good curry to be had in Huddersfield!




Blurb-  Jane is a thirty year old woman living in the city and working as a florist for her boss Will. She has a good circle of friends and enjoys the bar and restaurant scene but wishes that maybe she could start to settle down a bit as her pals are slowly getting married and having kids and she is worried about being left behind. Fun and easy reading chick lit with a few laughs as well!












J.G. Dow was born in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire a good while ago now and went over to Manchester for a few years to do a social science degree that ended up being not that useful. The author enjoys writing and also reading a wide variety of books and listening to music ranging from progressive rock to singer-song writers and also enjoys walking and watching sport.

           Facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/homeofJane/


No comments: