Friday, July 28, 2017

The End of Ordinary by Edward Ashton @goddessfish @edashtonwriting



TENS LIST
Top Ten Classic Science Fiction Novels

10.  The Sirens of Titan, by Kurt Vonnegut
Is Vonnegut really a science fiction writer? I do not care. This book has a guy named Malachi Constant, a really stupid interplanetary war, a faithful dog, an infundibulum, and an alien who looks like a toilet plunger. What more could you possibly ask?

9.  Spaceling, by Doris Piserchia
This is more YA than adult sci-fi, but it’s the book that first pulled me into the genre, so it makes the list. Spaceling provides exactly the mix of funny and heart-wrenching that I try to achieve in my own work. I read it for the first time when I was twelve, and it's stuck with me ever since.

8.  Shakespeare’s Planet, by Clifford D. Simak
This book has a lot of plot points that you could pick apart if you had the inclination, but it also has a sort of eerie wistfulness to it that I find irresistible. The heroes, if you can call them that, are a tentacled, fanged monster named Carnivore and a bumbling, block-headed robot. It also, like many of the books on this list, has the great virtue of being short enough to read in one long afternoon.

7. Dying of the Light, by George R. R. Martin
Long before he got into writing the interminable Song of Fire and Ice, Mr. Martin put out a series of short novels and long stories set in a future universe on the far side of a devastating interstellar war between humanity and a mostly unseen alien race. This book is the best of the bunch.

6.  Up the Walls of the World, by James Tiptree Junior
Tiptree, whose real name was Alice B. Sheldon, was an acknowledged master of the genre, and this is one of her finest books. Up the Walls of the World addresses gender roles, the ethics of self-preservation vs. avoiding harm to others, and female genital mutilation, all while telling a gut-clinchingly heartbreaking story.

5.  The Forge of God, by Greg Bear
I’m throwing this one on the list because (1) it’s a truly great book; (2) I’m extremely partial to end-of-the-world scenarios; and (3) most importantly, one of the final scenes is set at Taft Point in Yosemite National Park, which is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. That scene was most likely the subconscious genesis of my Hikepocalypse series of short stories, which continues to spawn new entries to this day.

4.  City, by Clifford D. Simak
Hate to double up on Simak, but this is another of those books that grabbed me when I was very young and never really let go. It includes talking dogs, which is good, the extinction of humanity, which is okay, and some really obviously stupid Lysenkoism, which is bad. Mix them all together, though, and you wind up with something very special.

3. The Uplift War, by David Brin
This is the third book in Brin’s Uplift series (the first two being Sundiver and Startide Rising) but the way these books are written, you really don’t need to read them in order if you don't care to. The Uplift War includes some fantastic galaxy-spanning world building, talking chimps and dolphins, a hopeless battle against insurmountable odds, and super scary praying mantis dudes. What’s not to like?

2.  Cat’s Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
I don’t hate doubling up on Vonnegut at all, because he’s without question my all-time favorite writer. Cat’s Cradle is an incredibly dark but also hilarious examination of free will, religion, and man’s inevitable urge to self-destruction. It also contains one of the most haunting sentences I’ve ever read: “She laughed, and touched her finger to her lips, and died.” Can’t beat that.

1.  Definitely not Foundation, Dune, Starship Troopers, or The Man who Fell to Earth
I read all of those books at one time, and ugh, I hated them all. Classics? Meh.
I guess I have to pick an actual number one, though, huh? Okay. Let’s go with… A Deepness in the Sky, by Vernor Vinge. Possibly not old enough to be a classic, but it’s got spaceships, some interesting stellar physics, and a whole planet full of extremely sympathetic giant spiders. Tough to pull that one off. Well done, Mr. Vinge.


ABOUT THE BOOK

The End of Ordinary
by Edward Ashton



GENRE: Science Fiction


BLURB:

Drew Bergen is an Engineer. He builds living things, one gene at a time. He's also kind of a doofus. Six years after the Stupid War -- a bloody, inconclusive clash between the Engineered and the UnAltered -- that's a dangerous combination. Hannah is Drew's greatest project, modified in utero to be just a bit better at running than most humans. She’s also his daughter. Her plan for high school is simple: lay low and run fast. Unfortunately for Hannah, her cross-country team has other plans.

Jordan is just an ordinary Homo-Sap. But don’t let that fool you -- he’s also one of the richest kids at Briarwood, and even though there isn’t a single part of him that’s been engineered, someone has it out for him.

Drew thinks he’s working to develop a spiffy new strain of corn, but Hannah and her classmates disagree. They think he's cooking up the end of the world. When one of Drew's team members disappears, he begins to suspect that they might be right. Soon they're all in far over their heads, with corporate goons and government operatives hunting them, and millions of lives in the balance.



EXCERPT

“So,” I said when I’d picked the last bit of rind out of my teeth. “What now?”

Nathan shrugged.

“Wait for death, I guess.”

“Huh,” I said. “I see where you’re going with that, but I was actually hoping you’d have some kind of last-minute escape plan to present now.”

“Escape plan?”

“Yeah. If this were a vid, this is where you’d suggest a super-complicated scheme to get out of here. I’d say ‘that’s crazy!’ and you’d say ‘do we have a choice?’ and then we’d do it and it would work somehow and you would totally be my hero.”

He stared at me, downed the last of his bathtub water, and stared at me some more.

“So,” I said finally. “Do you, uh… have a plan?”

“No,” he said. “Unless ‘wait for death’ counts as a plan, I do not have one.”

“Huh.”

I looked down at the lantern, and found myself wondering if the battery would give out before we did. A shiver ran from the base of my spine to the back of my neck and down again.

“Hannah?” Nathan said. “Are you, uh…”

I groaned.

“Am I what, Nathan?”

“Are you really gonna eat me?”

I stared at him.

“Seriously?”

He looked away.

“Well, yeah. I don’t mean now. Just… you know… eventually?”

I dropped my head into my hands.

“No, Nathan. I am not going to eat you.”

“Are you sure? I mean, you might have to, right?”

I stood up, and picked up the lantern.

“You are an odd duck, Nathan. I’m going for a run.”




AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Edward Ashton lives with his adorably mopey dog, his inordinately patient wife, and a steadily diminishing number of daughters in Rochester, New York, where he studies new cancer therapies by day, and writes about the awful things his research may lead to by night. He is the author of Three Days in April, as well as several dozen short stories which have appeared in venues ranging from the newsletter of an Italian sausage company to Louisiana Literature and Escape Pod.

You can find him online at edwardashton.com.
Twitter: @edashtonwriting
Facebook: Edward Ashton Writing
Tumblr: Smart-as-as-bee



GIVEAWAY



Edward will be awarding a 14 Ounce Nalgene—filled with candy corn! & 1 VeryFit Smart Band (US only) to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.



: a Rafflecopter giveaway


4 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thanks for hosting!

Ed Ashton said...

Thanks so much for having me over today.

Joseph Wallace said...

What is your favorite book villain of all time? Thanks for the giveaway. I hope that I win. Bernie W BWallace1980(at)hotmail(d0t)com

Ed Ashton said...

Honestly, I'm not a fan of books with actual villains. I much prefer antagonists who are doing the right thing by their own lights, even when what they're doing is wrong in a conventional sense. Garth Janicek in Dying of the Light is a perfect example.