Thursday, May 4, 2017

Lake Of Sins: Hangman's Army by by L.S. O’Dea @goddessfish @lsodea

Trinity and her friends have no hope of winning the war unless they can unite the classes. In order to do that, they need someone everyone will follow. They need the one person all the classes trust and believe in. They need Hugh.

That means they have to break him out of a maximum security prison and convince him to lead their army, but that won’t be easy because Hugh wants revenge and he’s not going to let anything get in his way especially mouthy, attractive, know-it-all Trinity.





INTERVIEW


Welcome!!   Thanks for taking time out for this short Q&A.  I am so pleased you have stopped in!  What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

Hi, Laurie.  Thank you for hosting me today. 
Currently, I don’t have a boyfriend but my family (most of them) really like my books and are quite proud of me for writing them.  I never realized how nice it was to hear the words, “I’m proud of you.”  I knew my parents were proud of me and didn’t think I needed to hear it (and I didn’t NEED to hear it, but it was nice).  I make sure I say it to my niece and nephew a lot now.
But, back to my writing.  My family knew that I’d always wanted to write, but they probably forgot since I never did anything with my English Creative Writing degree.  Then, one day I got angry at some coworkers and decided – “I don’t need this place.”  (of course, I do and my boss is actually great and so is my work environment -  it was just a bad day). Anyway, I signed up for an online writing course with Writer’s Digest.  I needed a refresher on fiction writing since I hadn’t done any for over twenty years.
When I finished the course, I continued one-on-one with the instructor until my book was done.  I learned a lot. 
After editing and breaking my one large book into two smaller books (Escape and Secrets In Blood), I published Lake of Sins: Escape.  Up to this point only my niece and one of my sisters even knew I was seriously writing.  As a gift, I sent all my siblings a copy of the first book.  I was absolutely dumbfounded when they all read it (well, all but one of my sisters – she tried but she just can’t get into stories that aren’t “real”.  No paranormal, fantasy kind of stuff for her).  More surprising was that they all liked it and I don’t think they liked it just because I wrote it.  I’m sure that helped, but they wouldn’t have continued to read the series if they didn’t truly like the stories and they all have.  A few of them are even beta readers for me now.
My father had passed away right before I published Escape, but I think he would’ve been proud.  My mother is, although, she hasn’t read the books.  She also isn’t into books that aren’t “real.”


Do you have critique partners or beta readers?

Some of my family members beta read for me.  I have different tiers of beta readers. 
The first tier gets one chapter at a time and they must talk to me about each chapter.  A lot of times, it’s a simple, “It read well”, but reading this way—chapter by chapter—makes them focus on the little things.  I’ve had to change a lot due to this – and it may be annoying but it always, always makes the story better.  I really have to give a lot of credit to this group because I’m not the most gracious when they tell me something isn’t working.  I apologize later, but I can get quite snippy.
The second tier reads the book as a whole and then reports back to me.  There are a lot of typos found and some re-writing but this is more a “tweaking” phase.
The third tier reads for typos and grammatical mistakes.
The fourth tier is outside of my family and they are my Advanced Readers.  They give input and help locate typos and such that were missed.
I can’t express enough how much I appreciate everyone who helps me with this.  It really makes my books a lot better.


What do you think makes a good story?

A good story is a funny thing.  There are rules out there for what not to do and yet, there are always stories that do it and do it well.  The key is, I think, do what works.  That’s vague and annoying as heck to writers starting out, but if something works, it works.
For me, the most important part of any story is the characters.  If I don’t like them or find them fascinating then the story is done.  I don’t care how much action a book has, if I don’t care about the characters then there will be no suspense – no fear and joy, no emotion.
Now, I also like an interesting premise.  Take the Sooki Sackhouse stories (True Blood).  I loved the premise of “True Blood”.  It was new and different and very cool.  I didn’t really care for the books but I did read a few because I loved the premise of a blood substitute.


What is the hardest part of writing your books?

Hmm.  I have a love-hate relationship with most aspects of writing.
The initial dump of the story – where I write it all down, summarizing the parts that won’t come—and not worrying about if the dialogue or plot is clean, is absolutely exhausting.  It’s also a lot of fun.
The next phase, where I form this lump of words into structure is also a lot of work.  Sometimes, I look at the rough draft and think, “How is this ever going to be any good?”  But then I chip away and make changes and pretty soon, it’s not only good, some parts are great.
The next phase where I read through tightening it up and sometimes reorganizing is fun at first because the story now flows and pulls me inside taking me along for the ride, but after five or ten read-throughs–it gets boring.  There are still some parts that pull me in, but I dread reading it AGAIN and I will read it over and over again until I’m not changing anything.
Then, I hand it off and start the entire process all over again.


What group did you hang out with in high school?

Our high school was very small – graduating class of 96 people—so we really didn’t have groups.  I mean we did, but they intermingled a lot.  I hung around the jocks even though I wasn’t one.  I also partied with the partiers (so did the jocks).  I was also friends with the brains (I got very good grades).


What are your favorite TV shows?

I love—absolutely LOVE—Game of Thrones.  After watching the first season I was so depressed because I was like – “My book sucks.”  (they don’t but they also aren’t as good as Game of Thrones) That series (at least the television show—I’m waiting until the TV show is over to start the books) is so well written, I’m envious and in awe.  Hats off to George R. R. Martin.
I also enjoy Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, and Major Crimes, but my favorite shows (after Game of Thrones) are reality TV.  (Yes, I admit it – embarrassing as it is).  I love Survivor, The Amazing Race and (cringe) Big Brother.  I’m not really sure what’s wrong with me, but I do love these shows.


Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?


First, write.  Don’t worry about – will it sell, or making it perfect—just write it down.  I was at a convention last year and a young high school student was talking to me about his book.  The kid wanted my advice.  I ask him if he was done with the book yet but he hadn’t even started writing it.  Everything was in his head.  I told him – write it down and then worry about editing and if it’s too similar to other things out there.  You can’t do anything until you do the work and write!  After that, email me and I’ll be happy to tell you everything I’ve learned on my publishing journey – but until you have a finished product  (or at least a rough draft) in your hand, the rest of the work and worries are pointless.


ABOUT THE BOOK

Lake Of Sins: Hangman's Army
by L.S. O’Dea


GENRE: YA, Dystopian Fantasy


BLURB:

A rebellion is brewing in the world of the Lake of Sins while Hugh Truent sits in prison days away from his execution.

After taking his findings about the genetic similarities between the classes to the Supreme Almighty and the Council, Hugh had been arrested for treason and all his evidence had vanished as if made from smoke.

To protect his family, he cut off all contact with the outside world while he sat in prison for over four years waiting for his execution. He has no idea that some of his reports were leaked to the other classes and that civil war looms on the horizon.

Trinity and her friends have no hope of winning the war unless they can unite the classes. In order to do that, they need someone everyone will follow. They need the one person all the classes trust and believe in. They need Hugh.

That means they have to break him out of a maximum security prison and convince him to lead their army, but that won’t be easy because Hugh wants revenge and he’s not going to let anything get in his way especially mouthy, attractive, know-it-all Trinity.



EXCERPT

Trinity

As soon as they were all together, she headed toward the Mile of Fire.  It grew hotter with every step and the air became acrid, burning her nose and throat.  Sweat no longer trickled down her back; it was a full-blown downpour. 

“Are you sure the rocks are cold?” asked Jackson.

“I never said cold.  I said they shouldn’t burn us to crisps.”

“I’m pretty sure you said they wouldn’t burn us at all,” said Hugh.  “I don’t recall the clarification of to a crisp.”

“Stop whining.  You’re out of jail.  You should be happy.”  He was going to drive her crazy.  The sooner he and Dad separated from them the better.

“I’ve been beaten, accused of treason and sentenced to execution without complaint but I’m whining because I don’t want to be burnt to something just a little less than crispy?”

“Yeah.  You don’t hear anyone else complaining.  Do you?”  Good thing she had her back to him because she couldn’t keep the half-smile off her face.  He had the irritating gift of being funny and annoying at the same time.  She slowed down.  She wasn’t ready for this, but here it was. 

The Mile of Fire loomed ahead.  Its shimmering waves of heat almost unbearable.  The five of them were drenched in sweat, although the closer they got to the rocks the quicker the sweat was drying.  Small puffs of steam were coming off her clothes.  It was the same for the others.  If they didn’t stop sweating they were going to be basted in their own juices.  Of course, if they did stop sweating they’d be dried like old fruit left in the sun.  They had to move fast. 



AUTHOR Bio and Links:

L. S. O’Dea grew up the youngest of seven in a family that uses teasing and tricks as an indication of love (or at least that’s what she tells herself).  Being five years younger than her closest sibling often made her the unwilling entertainment for her brothers and sisters.
Before she started kindergarten her brothers taught her how to spell her first and middle name—Linda Sue.  She was so proud she ran into the kitchen to tell her mother.  She stood tall and recited the letters of her name:  L-E-M-O-N   H-E-A-D.
She’s pretty sure she has her siblings to thank for the demons that lurk in her mind, whispering dark and demented stories.






Website:

Facebook

twitter

email:
lsodea7@gmail.com

Join Readers’ Group and Get the First Two Books in the Lake of Sins Series for FREE

Buy Links: 

This book is the third in the series--and the series should be read in order.  The first two books is the series are FREE.

links to Amazon to purchase

draft2digital


GIVEAWAY
The author will be awarding a Kindle Paperwhite to a randomly drawn winner (International winner) during the tour.