Monday, January 23, 2017

Behind Pickett Fences by Hend Hegazi @goddessfish






AUTHOR INTERVIEW

Welcome!   I am so pleased to host you as you tour your book with Goddess Fish Promotions.  Thank you for this chance to find out a little about you and your work.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?
I’m a stay-at-home mom of four, so I get my writing in while they’re all at school. I put in about two hours per day, although I really crave another writing session in the evening…but my monkeys won’t allow it.


What is the hardest part of writing your books?
Currently I’m working on a story which incorporates so many aspects of life that I am simply clueless about, which means the research is really taking up so much time. But generally, the hardest part of writing my books is imparting a bit of information about my culture and religion in a way which is not preachy. I believe that fiction is a great educational tool, but if the language is harsh or judgmental, this will only turn away readers and the goal of imparting knowledge will be defeated. I hope that I am able to maintain that balance of enlightening and breaking down stereotypes without appearing to give a sermon.


Does your significant other read your stuff?
My husband isn’t fluent in English, so unfortunately he has yet to read either of my books. He keeps encouraging me to have them translated so that he can read them, which is an extremely supportive sentiment.


What do you think makes a good story?
A good story is one that captures my attention and my emotions. If the author can make me sympathize with the characters, if she can make me despise the antagonist and root for the well-being of the protagonist, then that is a good story.


Plotter or Pantser? Why?
Definitely pantser. I feel creative energy is more successful if it is not confined by a set outline. I have notes and comments all over my works in progress, but I prefer that technique to anything more organized.


Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?
I considered using a pen name, but decided against it for two simple reasons: First, I have nothing to hide. I understand that some authors who produce books in completely different genres (erotica and children’s books, for example) may need that anonymity for the sake of their readers, but I don’t foresee myself falling into such a situation. Second, I would like credit for my writing. I want my family and friends, high-school teachers, former work colleagues, to know that I’m the author of those books.


Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?
No, I need quiet to write. I would get too distracted singing along with the tunes if I were to do that.


What is your favorite meal?
Surf ‘n turf, with a lobster tail and a petite sirloin. It gives you the best of land and sea! Of course, one doesn’t indulge in that too often, but it is my number one choice.


Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?
My advice for beginning writers is: own it! You don’t need anyone to tell you that you’re a writer. You don’t need to be published to be a writer. You only need to own it. Once you own it, once you call yourself a writer, you will start to take your career more seriously. You will work to write every day, and you’ll work to improve your writing. Owning it is the first step to a successful career. 


ABOUT THE BOOK

Behind Picket Fences
by Hend Hegazi


GENRE:    Fiction - contemporary



BLURB:

Behind Picket Fences exposes four families from behind their comfortable lifestyles and smiling faces. Sharing the same neighborhood, even spending time together, no family knows the truth about the difficulties the others face. 

On the outside, Sidra and Farris have the biggest house and the most expensive cars. What no one sees is their struggle to accept an unfulfilled dream. If they do not adapt to the blows of fate, their malcontent may give birth to deception.  

Mariam and Morgan’s modest home exudes the rich scent of family. With children playing in the yard, they seem picture perfect. But financial struggle is their continuous battle, and their only solution may produce an envy which is more destructive than hunger.

Summer and Porter enjoy youth and the freedom of self-employment. But discontentment and mental instability linger between them. If they are not able to bridge the gap, their search for happiness may have a fatal end.

May and Hasan enjoy peace and true happiness. Illness cares not, however, of letting them relish in their blessings. Only patience and time will prove if this unwelcome visitor is simply passing by, or if it will tear their world apart.

An honest portrayal of love and family, Behind Picket Fences opens our eyes to the difficult truths hidden behind each happy facade.




EXCERPT

“Actually,” Farris interrupted, “I’m just going to call it a night.” Farris began to walk away without saying goodbye or even recognizing the women. Faruq stood there for a second, jaw open, utterly embarrassed by his brother’s anti-social behavior. “I’ll be right back, ladies. Don’t go anywhere.”

He ran after his brother and quickly caught up with him. “Man, what are you doing?! This is the best thing for you right now.”

“I don’t want this. This has never been my scene, Faruq, and you know that. I’m just going to…”

But the sight of something beyond Farris made his brother interrupt, grabbing him by the shoulder. “That’s him! Farris, man, that’s him!” Faruq shouted, pointing in the direction he was looking.

Turning around so he could see what Faruq was pointing to, Farris narrowed his eyes. “What are you talking about, Faruq? That’s who?”

“That’s him!” Faruq repeated, excitedly grabbing Farris’ shirt at the shoulder. “That’s the man I saw with Sidra!”

The words forced Farris’ eyes into focus. He saw the tall, brown haired white man so vividly, as if he were the only one in the parking lot. He didn’t hesitate for even a split second; Faruq barely blinked, and suddenly Farris was sprinting toward James. He lunged at him, punching him square in the face. The man fell to the ground as the woman who was with him let out a gasp and crouched to the floor beside him.

Looking up at the attacker she screamed, “What the hell is wrong with you?! Why did you punch my husband?!”

Farris hovered over the couple, breathing heavily, rubbing his throbbing knuckles. Faruq, now standing beside his brother, held Farris’ arm back and spoke out, “Your husband is having an affair with his wife. Isn’t that right, James?”

“James?!” the woman yelled. “He’s not James!”

   

~

AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Hend Hegazi was born and raised in Southeastern Massachusetts. Despite her desire to pursue writing as a profession, she graduated from Smith College with a degree in biology and a minor in religion. Shortly thereafter, the winds of life and love blew her to Egypt where she has been living for the past 14 years. She is a full time mother of four as well as a freelance writer and editor. Some of her work has been featured in SISTERS Magazine. Her fiction and poetry focus on the human condition, often shedding light on the Muslim American experience. Hend strives to be God-conscious and aims to raise that awareness in her readers. As a common theme in her pieces, the intimate relationship between God-consciousness and love is often explored. Hend’s debut novel, Normal Calm, was published in January 2014.

You can read her poetry and blog posts on her website, www.hendhegazi.com, and follow her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AuthorHendHegazi. For updates on giveaways and special offers, kindly opt-in to her free newsletter at this link http://eepurl.com/bZa7fH.

Both of her novels are available through most major book distributors, or click here to purchase through Amazon: Normal Calm, Behind Picket Fences.



GIVEAWAY

Hend Hegazi will be awarding one copy of Normal Calm and a copy of Behind Picket Fences (U.S. and International) to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments: