Thursday, October 6, 2016

The General's Wife by Sara R. Turnquis @goddessfish @sarat1701







GUEST POST

ONE OF MY WRITING QUIRKS


Is anyone out there a recovering perfectionist/borderline OCD like me? Didn't think so :-) Well, I am. And sometimes that can cause havoc for a girl trying to get some writing done. I'm all over the place, all the time. My mind is filled with the things on my to-do list (which grows by the minute, especially if my environment is cluttered). I find it difficult to concentrate on anything, much less my characters and plot lines, if my environment is out of sorts. I found that I needed to take time preparing to write. Therein lies my writing quirk – I cannot write in a cluttered environment.

Take time to set up my space. I need a space that is all mine for writing. A place I feel comfortable and inspired. Or at least where I’m able to work. Then I need to get to work setting it up with the things I’ll need. Like my research, my notebooks, paper, pens, notes, character sketches, outlines, basically any supplies I think I might need. Taking the time to have it all there when I start writing cuts down on the stress…and the perspiration.

Make out my to-do list. This may seem silly, and to a lot of you it really might, but if I don't do this, I will think about it the entire time I sit there. If I take a few moments, to write out what needs to be done that day and put it to the side, my mind is clearer for writing.

De-clutter. It may just be me, but who can write with a ton of clutter around them? If I see something out of place in my periphery, it bothers me and distracts me until I get up and put it away. So, my writing suffers. It would be better to ensure my writing space is as it should be before I get started. Again, this may just be for the borderline OCD-ers out there.

Eliminate distractions. You know what I'm talking about - social media, the internet, e-mail, your phone.... the list goes on. There are apps out there (which you can search google for) that will block your access to the internet for a given timeframe (determined by you). And apps that silence/block your phone likewise. These can be super handy if you find yourself intending to sit down and work, but end up an hour later deep into social media. It happens.


All in all, when I sit down to write, I want to be producing quality work. That means I need to take the time to set the stage for said work. Please tell me I’m not alone in this!!



ABOUT THE BOOK


The General's Wife
by Sara R. Turnquist


GENRE: Historical Romance


BLURB:

“Go home!” Ismene is speechless as she reads those words written in blood on the walls of her new home. The young, raven-haired Grecian beauty had traveled all the way from her homeland to marry the Pharaoh’s top general. But she never expected this. The hatred of the Alexandrian mob for their Greek rulers is right in front of her. It is the first of many threats she will receive.

Things are escalating out of control. Damaged crops and horses turned loose at night are one thing. But when Ismene receives a death threat, it becomes clear that there is a spy within her own household. She would turn to her husband to deal with this issue, except he left for battle by order of the Pharaoh. Not knowing whom to trust, she fears for her safety as well as the entire ruling class of Egypt.


EXCERPT

“Can you please take this blindfold off?” Ismene loved surprises, but couldn't stand the waiting. Alistair had risen early to prepare a special breakfast for them and served her in bed. Then he had told her that he had something special planned for them today—a special place for them to visit.

“Not yet,” Alistair said as he gripped her waist. Their chariot went over a bump which caused him to pull her to him even more tightly. She smiled at the feel of his secure embrace; even after this short time it still caused butterflies in her stomach.

She felt the chariot continue to move down the smooth path with a little rocking here and there as the wheels found imperfections in the road.

“We're almost there, I promise,” he assured her. His voice was close to her ear and it gave her warm chills. She thought of the feel of those lips on her neck. There wasn't much time to daydream, though, because, true to his word, it wasn't much longer before she felt him slow the horses and still the chariot.

“Ready for your surprise?” he asked.

“Yes!” She feigned exasperation.

Only then did he reach up, untie her blindfold, and let it fall. “The great Library of Alexandria.”


   


AUTHOR Bio and Links:



Sara is originally from middle TN. After a short stint in Memphis, where she earned a degree in Biology and began a career as both a Zoo Educator and a Sleep Technician, she then followed a dream to work for a large zoo in Orlando, FL as an Educator. Once she and her husband started their family, they moved back to Tennessee. Sara and her husband now enjoy a full life with their three beautiful and very active children. Sara enjoys many creative outlets – singing, piano, drawing, drama, and organizing anything. And even though she has enjoyed her career as a Zoo Educator, Sara's great love of the written word continued to draw her to write. She has always been an avid reader and, for many years, has been what she terms a “closet writer”. Her travels and love of history have served to inspire her to write Historical Fiction. Sara has made several trips overseas to the Czech Republic. Her time among the Czech people and the landscapes of the country inspired her and greatly influenced her work on her debut novel, The Lady Bornekova, set in Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic. Sara is also a member of the ACFW.


How to reach me:

Website/URL: saraturnquist.com
Twitter: @sarat1701
Facebook: Sara R. Turnquist, Author - www.facebook.com/authorsararturnquist

Buy Links:

Amazon:

Barnes & Noble:

Kobo:

Smashwords:

iTunes:



GIVEAWAY

Sara R. Turnquist will be awarding a $50 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Post a Comment