Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Murder at Morningside by Sandra Bretting @goddessfish






Character interview with Missy DuBois, 
the star of the Missy DuBois Murder Series


First of all, I do wish she wouldn’t call me a “star.” Around here we call that “goin’ above your raisin’,”not to mention being downright biggity. Maybe “belle of the ball” would be better.

Welcome Missy.  I'm pleased to get this opportunity to find out more about you.  Who is your favorite author?

This one’s a no-brainer. Nobody writes about the South like Bill Faulkner. Have you visited his home in Oxford, Mississippi? It’s about five hours from my place in Bleu Bayou, Louisiana, but it’s to-die for. They kept his study just the way he left it…complete with handwritten notes on the wall. Just imagine!

Tell us about your family.

It’s taken me awhile to be able to talk about it, since I lost both parents in a car accident when I was just a little thing. But, my granddaddy (we call him paw-paw) and my grandmom (mee-maw, of course), did the best they could, and for that I’ll always be grateful.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I’ve always loved fashion, and my poor Barbie dolls spent their days half-naked, what with me changing them every hour or so. For me, becoming a hat designer was as natural as the kudzu vines that sprawl along the fence lines down here in Louisiana.

What are your favorite TV shows?

I still love reruns of “Will & Grace.” Remember them? People tell me I look like Debra Messing, since we both have red hair and a sassy attitude. Right now I’m taken with “Modern Family,” though, since Cam makes me laugh out loud.
 

What songs are most played on your Ipod?

I stream Harry Connick, Jr. on my computer when I’m feeling jazzy…does that count? No one gets me in the mood for Mardi Gras like that boy does. Not to mention I could look at him all day long. (But please don’t tell Ambrose that. My new beau might not understand.)

What is your favorite meal?

I’d have to say nothing beats a good old-fashioned crawfish boil come February with friends and neighbors. Just don’t wear anything white…those things are as messy as anything.

Do you play any sports?

I was a champion lacrosse player back at my Catholic high school. The coach made me an attack wing, since I could run like the dickens all day long.

Who should play you in a film? 


My first thought is Debra Messing, since no one can pull off sassy and sweet like she does. Then again, Amy Adams would do nicely. *bites bottom lip.* That’s it…I’ll go with Amy Adams, and I hope she says “yes” if they ever ask her!

ABOUT THE BOOK

Murder at Morningside
by Sandra Bretting


GENRE: Cozy Mystery


BLURB:

Heads turn when milliner Missy Dubois waltzes into town to set up shop on the Great River Road in Louisiana. Heaven only knows the brides who get married in the grand old mansions there could use a bit of help.

But then Missy discovers a murder among the magnolias, and even the worst “bridezilla” seems suddenly tame. 


EXCERPT

Before Beatrice could say more, the front door flew open and in stomped an elderly gentleman. He was on the verge of a good old-fashioned hissy fit.

“Y’all don’t deserve a say in this wedding!” he said to a young woman who’d slunk in behind him.

The girl looked to be the right age for his daughter. She wore flip-flops and a wrinkled peasant blouse, and she buried her head in her hands. Well, that lifted the blouse an inch or two and exposed her bare stomach.

Lorda mercy. It seemed the girl and her fiancĂ© must have eaten supper before they said grace, as we said here in the South, because an unmistakable bump appeared under her top. She looked to be about four months along, give or take a few weeks, and I could see why her daddy wasn’t too happy with her right about now.

After a piece, she lifted her chin and glared at him. “I hate you!” Her voice rippled as cold as the river water that ran nearby. “I wish you were dead.” She stalked away.

I fully expected the man to cringe, or at least follow her. Instead, he merely glanced our way and shrugged. After a minute, he pivoted on the spectacle he’d caused and casually strolled away, leaving a bit of frost in the air.

“Oh my. Why don’t we continue,” Beatrice said.

Poor Beatrice. She obviously wanted to divert our attention elsewhere. It couldn’t have been every day one of her hotel guests wished another guest was dead. She hustled us farther into the ballroom, as if nothing had happened, all the while explaining the history of Morningside Plantation.

AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Sandra Bretting works as a freelance feature writer under contract to the Houston Chronicle. She received a journalism degree from the University of Missouri School of Journalism and wrote for other publications (including the Los Angeles Times and Orange Coast Magazine) before moving to Texas.

Her Missy DuBois Mysteries series debuts from Kensington/Lyrical Underground in May 2016. Bretting’s previous mysteries include Unholy Lies (2012) and Bless the Dying (2014). Readers can reach her online at www.sandrabretting.com and through Facebook at www.facebook.com/sandra.bretting.







GIVEAWAY

Sandra Bretting will be awarding a $20 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.



a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments: