Monday, April 25, 2016

Nighthawks by Jeremy Flagg @goddessfish @writeremyflagg




INTERVIEW


Welcome!!  Thanks for agreeing to this short Q&A.  What are your favorite TV shows?

I’m about to show my geek flag. Syfy’s Battlestar Galactica is by far one of the most impressive pieces of science fiction I’ve watched. The drama, the religious undertones, the mystery, I was sucked into it and when it was done I ran out to buy the box set so I could watch it again.  However, the most recent show that sucked me in was Sense8 by the Wachoski brothers. The subtle use of telepathy throughout the show made me watch it, but the fluid way the show transitions from eight points of view was so beautifully elegant I found myself losing sleep to watch it. I also watch just about anything with superheroes in it.


Why do you write series instead of stand alone novels?

Writing series has never been my goal, it’s just a byproduct of wanting more from my characters. In Children of Nostradamus, there is no one character I value above the others. As I wrote the last pages, I realized there was more story I wanted to uncover. I rewrote the last chapter to leave it open for more. As I edited the book, I found there were so many threads left dangling that I would need to write another book to explore them. As I wrote the sequel, I found it would have been a doorstopper to write the entire story. Eventually, I found I reached the end of the plot and I wasn’t done. Characters who only get mentioned in name had stories that needed telling. I found during my world building that it ultimately would have to be a world. Will I stay with the same characters? Who knows? For the time, though, they have stories that need to be told and I’m not stopping until I’m satisfied.


Is there a writer you idolize? If so who?

Right now, after coming down off of a book with a large ensemble, I’m pretty impressed with Laurel K. Hamilton. I’ve read her books for years, but I’ve never truly appreciated how difficult it is to craft a scene where there are ten people in a room without either neglecting a cast member or overusing another. She has a way of controlling the room so you’re constantly aware of who is with you, and using them at key moments that it utilizes their personality and voice. I will always be impressed with authors who can do what she’s managed to do and make it seem effortless.


How did you come up for the title of this book?

The series, Children of Nostradamus, is grounded in the idea that Nostradamus was the first psychic. One of my characters as an insult says, “They think they’re the offspring of Nostradamus.” I had tried to figure out a way to create people with abilities and powers in my world, and ultimately decided to leave it as an unknown event called the Nostradamus Effect. The title of this individual book, “Nighthawks” was the name of the comic book as a kid. Later I would discover my favorite work of art, “Nighthawks” by Edward Hopper. I couldn’t ignore this coincidence and I made my protagonist an art major and linked the two. He makes a connection to his newly discovered friends sitting in a bar and it reminds him of the painting. From then on they call themselves Nighthawks almost in jest. It did, however, help me create a rich backstory to one of my characters that I felt was necessary to give him lifelike qualities.



ABOUT THE BOOK

Nighthawks
by Jeremy Flagg


GENRE: Sci-Fi (Dystopian)


BLURB:

Twenty-six-year-old painter Conthan Cowan takes art to a shocking frontier…

His debut exhibit features the transformation of his high school friend, Sarah, as she went from a shy, soft-spoken girl to a Child of Nostradamus—an individual gifted with extraordinary abilities. Living in a society where the Children of Nostradamus are captured by the government, Conthan’s exhibit draws attention from officials and protesters alike.

A government psychic may be dead, but that doesn’t stop her from manipulating the future…

The deceased White House aide is only remembered for her failed assassination attempt on the president decades before Conthan was born. Foreseeing her own death, she scribed letters to bring together specific Children of Nostradamus on a mission that will change the world.

On the night of the gallery exhibition, Conthan receives one of those letters…

Whispers from the past direct him to visit Sarah, the subject of his paintings, who like many Children of Nostradamus, is being detained in a government research facility. It’s there he finds himself aligned with a rogue group of Children on a mission to prevent a dark future.

As a dark future unfolds, there's only one hope to stop the destruction of the world...

The Children of Nostradamus.



EXCERPT

“Class I identified,” said the Corps soldier. “Immediate termination.”

Conthan looked up, confused, and realized that the gun was pointing directly at his face. He watched as the soldier pulled the trigger and the pain surged through his brain.

“Not today.” It was his voice, but he wasn’t speaking.

He realized he wasn’t in control of his actions as he held up his hand and pushed the pain through his body to his palms. The black spot returned and he watched as the laser emerged from the gun and vanished into another dark hole. He could see a similar spot appear just to the side of the soldier. The laser projected outward from the darkness, searing through the soldier’s head.

Conthan felt the pain release his body. He fell to the ground. He lay next to a gasping Jed Zappens. Conthan turned his head to see the man. “I’m sorry,” he muttered.

Jed sucked in a ragged breath and blinked several times, tears beginning to stream down his face. He reached into his breast pocket and dragged out an old folded envelope. “For you,” he said through clenched teeth.

Conthan voice had left him. He wanted to scream for a medic but he couldn’t find air enough to fill his lungs. He started to reach for the envelope but hesitated before snatching it from the dead man’s hands. He crushed it in his grasp as he watched the light vanish from the artist’s eyes.

“Run,” said a voice.

Conthan rolled his head to see that there was nobody left standing in the alley. He sucked in air and tried to sit upright. “Hello?”

“Run!”

He had killed a Corps soldier. He was now marked for death. As he ran, he could hear the echo of the soldier’s words. “Class I,” he had said. Conthan couldn’t shake the feeling that life as he knew it was over.







AUTHOR Bio and Links:

I’m high school graphic design and marketing teacher, at a large suburban high school in Massachusetts. Working as a high school educator and observing the outlandish world of adolescence was the inspiration for my first young adult novel, “Suburban Zombie High.”

My inspiration for writing stems from being a youth who struggled with reading in school. While I found school assigned novels incredibly difficult to digest, I devoured comics and later fantasy novels. Their influences can be seen in the tall tales I spin.

I took the long route to becoming a writer. For a brief time, I majored in Creative Writing but exchanged one passion for another as I switched to  Art and Design. My passion for reading about superheroes, fantastical worlds, and panic-stricken situations would become the foundation of my writing career.

I participated in my first NaNoWriMo in 2006 and continue to write an entire novel every November. Now I am the NaNoWriMo Municipal Liaison to the Massachusetts Metrowest Region. I also belong the New England Horror Writer’s Association and to a weekly writing group, the Metrowest Writers.

LINKS:










GIVEAWAY


One randomly chosen winner via rafflecopter will win a $50 Amazon/BN.com gift card.



a Rafflecopter giveaway



No comments: