Friday, March 4, 2016

Horizon by Tabitha Lord @goddessfish @tlordauthor



TENS LIST

10 Random Things…

With the debut of my first novel, I’ve been answering a ton of interview questions like, “How did I get the idea for my story? How long did it take to write? What’s my process like?” It’s great fun. I love to talk about my stories and my writing. But today I have the opportunity to do something a little different – to share some random things about me that my readers may not know. So here goes…

1. When we renovated our house, I turned my dining room into a library. It just seemed like the thing to do.
2. I’m a medical school dropout. Med school with small children was, for me, an impossible task. I always thought I’d return when the kids were older, but it never seemed to be the right time. It wasn’t until I started writing that I was able to let that particular aspiration go.
3. For my 40th birthday I summited Mt. Kilimanjaro. It was very, very hard. Not Everest hard, but an intense physical and emotional challenge nonetheless. 
4. Tattoos are awesome. I’m not crazy about cartoon characters, but I love really artistic ink. 
5. I’ve been married for 22 years. My husband and I were young and broke, but four kids and a lot of work later and we have a pretty awesome life.
6. My children are some of the finest people I know. I’ll take a little credit. In our house there aren’t many rules, but the important ones – respect, good manners, and personal accountability – are non-negotiable. Honestly, though, they are their own people and just came into the world full of awesomeness.
7. I’m a cat person. I will probably always have a cat. But, recently we adopted a black lab mix and she is an absolute love!
8. Zombie apocalypse or alien invasion? This is a serious debate in our house and we discuss contingency plans for both.
9. Dirk Benedict, the original Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica, was my first childhood crush. A few years ago I got to meet him at a ComicCon. That was a great day.
10. I taught middle school Latin for a decade. I know, I’m a dinosaur!


ABOUT THE BOOK

Horizon
by Tabitha Lord




GENRE: Science Fiction/Fantasy


BLURB:

Caeli Crys isn’t living—she’s surviving. On the run after the genocide of her empathic people, she witnesses a spaceship crash near her hidden camp. When she feels the injured pilot suffering from miles away, she can’t help but risk discovery to save his life.

Commander Derek Markham awakens stranded on an uncharted planet. His co-pilot is dead, his ship is in ruins, and he’s only alive because a beautiful young woman is healing him with her mind.

As Derek recovers, Caeli shares the horror of her past and her fear for the future. When Derek’s command ship, Horizon, sends rescue, Derek convinces Caeli to leave with him. But his world is as treacherous as hers—full of spies, interplanetary terrorist plots, and political intrigue. Soon the Horizon team is racing to defend an outlying planet from a deadly enemy, and Caeli’s unique skills may just give them the edge they need to save it.


EXCERPT

“Caeli, is everything okay?” he asked while they sat by the fire and she prepared their food.

She didn’t look at him but nodded. “It was a small group of Amathi soldiers. They were on the other side of the river coming through a pass, but heading in the opposite direction.”

“Do you think they might be looking for my ship?” Derek asked, a knot of dread forming.

“It’s possible,” Caeli acknowledged hesitantly.

“Shit,” he cursed under his breath.

“Or they could just be looking for ore deposits. Anyway, it would take some effort for them to get to this side of the river. It’s why I chose to make camp here. We’re okay. At least for a while.”

I don’t want to run anymore. Caeli didn’t speak out loud, but Derek heard her as clearly as if she did. Her face held a haunted look he hadn’t seen before, and despite her reassuring words, he knew she was more worried than she was letting on.

She passed him a bowl but didn’t take one for herself. Anxiety poured off her, and he didn’t have to be empathic to feel it.

Carefully, he put his bowl aside and turned to face her. “Caeli, how did you escape from Novalis?”

She looked in his eyes and then dropped her gaze to the ground. “I didn’t.”


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Tabitha currently lives in Rhode Island, a few towns away from where she grew up. She is married, has four great kids, a spoiled Ragdoll cat, and lovable black lab. The house is noisy and the dinner table full! She holds a degree in Classics from College of the Holy Cross and taught Latin for years at a small, independent Waldorf school. She also worked in the admissions office there before turning her attention to full-time writing.

You can visit her blog at www.tabithalordauthor.com where she posts author interviews, hosts guest bloggers, and discusses some favorite topics including parenting and her writing journey. Horizon is her first novel.





GIVEAWAY

Tabitha Lord will be awarding a $10 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.

a Rafflecopter giveaway
Post a Comment