Thursday, December 10, 2015

Shatterproof by by K.K. Weil @goddessfish @KK_Weil





TENS LIST

My Ten Favorite Scents (Plus one weird one)

1. A newborn baby’s head - The rest of the items on this list are not in any particular order, but this one is, by far, my favorite smell in the world. There is nothing that even resembles the sweet, pure, unique scent of an infant’s head. Every baby I’ve ever held has had the same smell, too. I was so sad when each of my children lost that smell. Fortunately for me, my sister still has babies, so I don’t have to accost strangers to get my fix.

2. A barbecue somewhere off in the distance - Yum. That’s the word that comes to mind whenever barbecue is cooking. Barbeque means summer and warmth and fun food. It means sunshine and pool parties. And tans! I actually enjoy the smell of a barbecue even more than eating it.

3. The ocean – As soon as you pull up to a beach community, the air changes and the ocean is all around you. I grew up on the beach, so maybe the smell reminds me of home. I love sitting on the sand or doing anything in or by the water. If I could, I’d live on a houseboat.

4. Coffee – I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t enjoy the smell of coffee. Even before I was a coffee drinker, walking into a room where it was brewing brought me to my happy place. Now, the smell almost makes me salivate, like Pavlov’s dog.

5. Rain – Not just any rain. The first few seconds of rain, when the sky turns grey and you breathe in, look up and ask, “Is it supposed to rain today?” Or, the air just after a sun shower. That one’s great, too.

6. Cinnamon – Just the word reminds me of fall, apple pie and warmth. Cinnamon tells me it’s time to snuggle up under a blanket. The weather is cool enough for a cozy sweater, but not yet cold. Cinnamon is my comfort spice.

7. Frying garlic – Need I say more?

8. Leather – You know the smell that wafts out when you open a box with a new pair of boots? Or when you walk into a store to buy a leather jacket and you want to bury your face in the sleeve that’s as soft as butter? Yeah, that’s the one I mean.

9. Vanilla – I don’t love perfume. And I definitely don’t love it when people swim in their perfume. It gives me a headache and kind of makes me nauseous. However, I find vanilla soft, subtle and beautiful. I always find myself complimenting people who are wearing it and it’s my go-to hand lotion scent.

10. Pine trees – The quintessential smell of Christmas and everything that goes along with it.

And the weird one, which will hopefully sound less weird after I explain it…

11. My skin after I’ve been outside all day – No, not a sweaty, body-odor type of smell. Just that, I’ve been outside, taking advantage of the beautiful weather, kind of smell. It means today was a really good day.

Thank you so much for having me here today!


ABOUT THE BOOK

Shatterproof
by K.K. Weil


GENRE: New Adult Contemporary Romance


BLURB:

Griffin Stone knows the stats. Sons of abusers become abusers. This is his single fear.

After witnessing firsthand his parents’ tumultuous marriage, Griffin worries that he, too, harbors an explosive dark side. Can he escape from his father’s rage-fueled ways or is he destined to become part of the cycle?

Unable to persuade his mother to leave and wrestling with his resentment towards her for staying, Griffin volunteers at Holly’s House, a safe haven for abused women. Through sculpture, Griffin gives these women pieces of themselves they’ve long forgotten. Holly’s House is the only place where Griffin finds peace and purpose.

Until he meets Frankie Moore.

Frankie is an aspiring photographer, finding beauty in things most people miss, including Griffin. Griffin is attracted to her free-spirited, sassy attitude but fears Frankie will trigger the most intense part of him, the one he must keep buried.

Frankie’s got to get her act together. Her anything-goes behavior is leading nowhere fast. She’s hopeful that her latest hobby will be a building block for the future. But when a stranger appears on the other end of her camera, looking as complex as he is handsome, Frankie thinks this might be just the change she needs.



EXCERPT

“Do you remember all the things people say?” Frankie asks with a lazy grin.

“Only certain people.” I smile back. I stroke her long hair. It’s wild against my skin, with unpredictable waves. Just like Frankie. My hands never tire of feeling every single surface and texture of her.

She rests her head back on my bare chest and begins tracing each of my tattoos. “I can’t believe you do this for all those women.” Her fingers follow the lines of a cherry blossom on my ribcage. “Do you have any idea how incredible you are?”

I don’t answer. She sighs.

“You don’t, do you?” She stops midtrace. “Can I see mine?”

I laugh at how blatant she is about it, when I specifically told her she was only part of the inspiration for the moon. I give her my back. A single fingernail follows the lines of the moon and the sky around it. I suppress a shudder. How does just one of her nails have such a blistering effect on my body? Then the same nail traces the tattoo parallel to hers. A faded sketch of a small, mustached man rescuing a child from drowning.

“I never noticed this one before. Is it for someone or is it just something you liked?” she asks.

“It’s for someone. It’s for Roth.”

She finds the symbolism right away. “It’s very powerful.” Her voice flutters in my ear. “It’s in the same exact spot as mine, on the other shoulder blade. You never struck me as the kind of guy who needs symmetry,” she jokes.

“They’re there for a reason.”

“What significance are shoulder blades?”

I chuckle. “They’re not on my shoulder blades, Frankie. They’re on my lungs. Mr. Rothman taught me how to breathe years ago. You’re the reason I keep doing it.”


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

K.K. Weil grew up in Queens, but eventually moved to New York City, the inspiration for many of her stories. Weil, who attended SUNY Albany as an undergrad and NYU as a graduate student, is a former teacher. She now enjoys writing her own dramas and lives near the beach in New Jersey, where she is at work on her next novel.



GIVEAWAY

K.K. Weil will be awarding a $20 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

23 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thanks for hosting!

Wild N Mild $$$ said...

Griffin sounds like a great character. Look forward to reading more about him.
Jennifer Rote

K.K. Weil said...

Thanks for having me, Laurie! I'm excited to be here!

K.K. Weil said...

I'd love to hear if anyone else has a favorite smell.

nurmawati djuhawan said...

thx u for hosting :)

Rita said...

I liked the list. You have some of my favorite smells on it. I love the smell of freshly cut lumber. lol When my husband and I had a shed built it smelled so good I wanted to move in.

Eva Millien said...

I liked the list and enjoyed the excerpt, sounds like a terrific read, thanks for sharing!

K.K. Weil said...

Thanks for stopping by, Nurmawati.

K.K. Weil said...

Ooh, cut lumber is a great one, Rita. I like that, too.

K.K. Weil said...

Thanks, Eva! So glad you liked them :)

Ally Swanson said...

I enjoyed reading the excerpt and the Tens Interview. This book sounds like a very interesting and intriguing read! Looking forward to reading this book!

Victoria Alexander said...

Great list... I'm with you on the baby scent...there's definitely nothing else in the world like it :). Thanks for sharing!!

K.K. Weil said...

Thanks so much, Ally! I'm so happy you liked them!

K.K. Weil said...

Absolutely, Victoria! Last time I saw my sister, she bathed my newborn niece right before I got there...I was so disappointed that my niece smelled like shampoo instead of baby, I complained all day. Her husband said to her, "I told you not to do it!" My whole family knows about my obsession. Haha :)

Betty Woodrum said...

I really like your list and we share some favorites! I love the beach and if I could I would just live there, a little cottage within walking distance, my toes in the sand, the ocean breeze in my face... I can almost feel it, smell it! I really enjoyed the excerpt, thank you for sharing!

K.K. Weil said...

That sounds beautiful, Betty. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

K.K. Weil said...

Thanks very much, Jennifer! He's become very close to my heart.

Angie D said...

Thanks for sharing a new book that I can add to my TBR list!

K.K. Weil said...

Thanks Angie! I'd love that!

Berkeley Hapa said...

That was a fascinating excerpt, and I really enjoyed the list of scents! I can't stand perfume myself, but I also have a few organic scents I enjoy, for example, rosemary!

K.K. Weil said...

Thank you, Berkeley. I'm so glad you enjoyed the excerpt and the list. I agree, rosemary has a beautiful smell.

Ree Dee said...

I really enjoyed the excerpt. Thank you.

K.K. Weil said...

Thanks very much, Ree Dee!