Friday, November 13, 2015

The Evans Trilogy by Jennifer Collin @goddessfish @CollinJennifer



TENS LIST

What are your 10 least favorite foods?


Like my characters in the Evans Trilogy, I am a woman who is not afraid of food. I have a very healthy relationship with it. I LOVE it. All of it. At any time of the day.

Well, maybe not all of it. If pushed, I could think of 10 foods I don’t like so much …

10. Ridiculously over-the-top pizza.
It started with the stuffed crust – a simple enough idea to squeeze some processed cheese into the base of the pizza. Because you know, there wasn’t enough cheese on top. That sounded disgusting enough for me, but it was nothing compared to what the pizza chains had in store for us. In Australia, you can order the Chillidog Hotdog Stuffed Crust pizza. The what? I hear you say. This masterpiece involves cheese infused hotdogs, plus don’t forget the chilli sauce, built into the crust. And you can order this special base with any topping.
I can’t even….
Hey, here’s a novel idea. How about you just leave out the hot dogs?
It gets worse. I’ve also heard there’s a meat pie pizza, which involves little mini meat pies built into the crust. And someone else said something about corn chips …
Just what the? People, you do not need to eat this stuff!

9. Fast food in general.
All the major chains. All of them. I just don’t like it. It tastes like the fast train to hell. Much like I suspect the aforementioned pizzas do.

8. Gourmet hamburgers.
You know the ones. They taunt you from the menu when your boss takes you for lunch. “You know I’m delicious,” they say, flaunting their pan-fried halloumi, rocket and garlic aioli. “You know you want me…” And I do. Oh, how I do.

But I know better.

Remember when you were a kid and someone dared you to try to wedge your whole fist in your mouth? This is what the gourmet burger is doing. You open your mouth so wide you stretch the corners until they bleed. But no matter how wide you go, you can’t fit it in and the insides of the burger squelch out the back, landing with a wet thunk on your plate. Your boss looks up at the sound and quickly looks away while you cover your aioli-smeared face with a napkin and gnaw away at the mouthful of bread you managed to snag.

There goes that promotion.

7. Candy apples (or toffee apples, as we called them in Australia).
Another memory from childhood, when candy was so much simpler. And we pretended the apple made it healthy. What on earth were our mothers thinking? Did the broken teeth not provide cause for concern?

6. Spam.
Ham in a can. Why?

5. Liver.
I grew up on a farm, where we butchered our own animals. (Perhaps that’s why I can’t get my head around ham in a can.) On the farm, we’d find a use for every part of the animal, letting very little go to waste. My mother would cook up liver as a delicacy and tell my brother and sister and I how special it was. When I eventually worked up the courage to sample some, I spat it back out immediately. Of course it tasted horrendous. The liver detoxifies chemicals and secretes bile. Why would you eat that?

4. Papaya (ripe).
If liver was my mother’s favorite delicacy, papaya, or paw-paw as we called it growing up, was my father’s. Especially when it was so ripe it would melt in your mouth. To me, it just smelled like vomit.

Interestingly though, when I was in Thailand in my twenties, I tasted a green-papaya salad and it instantly became one of my favorites. I discovered that’s the way papaya is meant to be eaten.
On that same trip, while riding on the back of an elephant, our elephant handler pulled an unripe mango off a tree as we walked past, and crunched into it like an apple. That is not the way to eat a mango. Mangos are the fruit of the gods and should be ripe and juicy.  

3. Asparagus.
Also in my twenties, I got food poisoning one night from a can of asparagus my flat-mate had left in the fridge too long. I was so sick I ended up in emergency and I haven’t been able to even sniff asparagus since.

2. Oysters.  
It’s the texture and the process. How do you not chew? My throat closes up at the mere thought of it.

1. Turkish delight (Lokum).
I have the sweetest of sweet tooths, but this is one sweet I cannot take. Perhaps it’s the texture again? I’m not sure, but I just can’t. And you know how you’ll often find Turkish delight in a variety box of chocolates? It’s like there’s a magnet between them and my fingers. I always, always end up biting into one.

The Evans Trilogy
by Jennifer Collin



GENRE:  Chick Lit



BLURB:

Book 1: Set me Free

Disastrous love life aside, Charlotte Evans is rather content with her life. Her quaint little art gallery is plodding along nicely, and her sister Emily’s artistic career is about to take off, thanks to her tireless promotion. She even gets to see her best friend every day and drink his delicious coffee in the cafĂ© next door.
But when dastardly property developer Craig Carmichael comes along, threatening to demolish her gallery and take everything away, Charlotte has an unexpected fight on her hands. Not only is she battling to stop Craig’s development, she’s also struggling against the mysterious magnetic pull that has her on a collision course with Craig himself.
Craig Carmichael is fighting the Battle for Boundary Street on more than one front. The tenants of the building he wants to knock down are mounting a strong case against him and in a hot-headed moment he put his career on the line for a project that is threatening to fail. If the project doesn’t succeed he will lose everything, but for some reason he’s having trouble maintaining his focus.
As their worlds begin to unravel around them, anyone could win. It’s what they might lose that has Charlotte and Craig wondering what it is they really want.


EXCERPT

Book 1 Set Me Free

‘You know I’m going to fight you in this development, don’t you?’
‘I do.’ 

They walked in silence until they rounded the corner into her street and crossed the road in front of her building.

Charlotte stopped. ‘You lied to me,’ she accused, finally seeking out his eyes.

‘No I didn’t. Not technically. I failed to tell you something, but I didn’t lie.’ Was he teasing her?

‘Same thing,’ she snapped. ‘I don’t like liars. And I’m not very fond of people who are out to ruin my life,’ she added.

‘I’m not going to ruin your life,’ he said, not looking away, holding her with his dark brown gaze.

‘Well that means that you are because you’re a liar.’

He chuckled softly and gently. ‘Your argument is not sound.’

Charlotte withheld a grin. He was right. She sounded like a petulant child. She decided not to bite back.

‘I’m going in now,’ she said. ‘Thanks for seeing me home, I guess.’

He shrugged. She paused, and her gaze fell on his lips. When the corners of his mouth started to turn, so did she, on her heel, to stomp up the stairs to her apartment.

‘Goodnight, Charlotte,’ he called.

Throwing him one final glare, she closed her door on him and made a beeline for the shower to wash away the sinful desire threatening her good judgment.  





Book 2: Open My Eyes

Everything happens for a reason, they say. And sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions. Sleeping with her sister's best friend is one of the dumbest things soon-to-be divorcee Emily Evans has ever done. But she's determined to put it behind her and move on. She's walked away from her cheating husband, managed to make a new friend, and found herself a real job and somewhere to live so she doesn't have to couch-surf any more. Everything should be falling into place but for one problem – there are some mistakes from which you can't move on.
Meanwhile, Ben Cameron is getting on with his life. After all, it's the only thing to do once your heart has been stomped on by the woman of your dreams. Expanding his business and getting cosy with the girl next door are proving welcome distractions. He's even happy to babysit his nephew, as long as he can to hand him back when he's done! And thankfully, Emily Evans, the woman with the heavy boots, is avoiding him like the plague.

But Emily can't avoid him forever, and when she drops a bombshell that turns Ben's world upside-down, suddenly, getting on with his life takes on a whole new meaning.



Book 3: Bring Me Back
Andy Evans is on the move. For six long, lonely years, he’s been running from his past, leaving his family and his life as a drug-addicted rock star far behind. His latest move takes him to the sleepy seaside town of Oamaru, New Zealand, to sell cigar-box guitars to tourists. The only running he’ll need to do will be training for the half-marathon in nearby Dunedin. But when Andy sets eyes on Steampunk HQ, Oamaru's main tourist attraction, he realises his days of running might not be over, especially if a certain Steampunk fan from his past catches up with him.
Annie Martin is on the cusp of great success. Her career as a Steampunk academic is about to take off, as long as she can convince one disagreeable, New Zealand-based Professor to sign up to the anthology she’s putting together. Thankfully, Annie is a master at maintaining her poise and few people, no matter how nasty, can rattle her. Not any more. In fact, it’d been a good six years since anyone had gotten under her skin, after her best friend’s brother had vanished into thin air.
When Annie finds her future career on a collision course with her secret past, Andy Evans is the last person she expects to find tangled up in the mess. With a vengeful drug-dealer or two hot on his heels, and a vindictive academic determined to ruin her credibility, can Annie bring Andy back to his family before it’s too late? Annie and Andy are used to being alone, but if they don’t work together, there’ll be much more at stake than her livelihood and his sobriety.




  
AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Jennifer Collin writes quirky, and sometimes gritty, love stories about ordinary people dealing with what life throws at them.

She lives in Brisbane, Australia, with her husband, two noisy children and a cantankerous cat.

She used to party, but now her idea of a good time is an uninterrupted sleep. These days, her characters do her partying for her, and she doesn't necessarily let them sleep.

Links
myBook.to/setmefree  (Amazon buy links)



GIVEAWAY

Jennifer Collin will be awarding a $25 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour, and a $25 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn host.



a Rafflecopter giveaway



9 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting today.

Jennifer Collin said...

Thanks for having me Laurie xx

Victoria Alexander said...

Great post! Loved your list of least favorite foods.. I LOL'd quite a few times :).. thanks for sharing!

Laurie Bergh said...

Fun interview. Tha books sound good. I love series.

Eva Millien said...

Sounds like great reads, thanks for sharing!

Betty Woodrum said...

Love your "ten list"!

Becky Richardson said...

Loved the interview and thanks for the chance to win.

Angie D said...

Enjoyed the excerpt! Thanks for sharing!!!

Ree Dee said...

Your Lst of 10 least favorite foods just had me laughing out loud! Thank you for the injection of humor.