Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Story She Had to Tell by Sarah Tauber @goddessfish





Interview

Welcome!!  Thanks for stopping by and doing with Q&A with me.  It’s great to meet you!  How did you start your writing career?   I fell into it. I was having lunch with an old friend who had been telling me for almost a year about the memoir she was writing.  It never occurred to me to write my own. One day in January of 2013 as she was talking to me about it again, it hit me. I’m going to write a memoir! At her suggestion, I signed up for an online memoir writing class and started my book about half way through. It was exhilarating.
 
Does travel play in the writing of your books?  Not for me, but for my readers. My first book, “For Dear Life”, is a memoir covering two years I lived in Tehran, Iran in the 1970s where I created for myself a most traumatic and life-altering experience. My second book, “The Story She Had to Tell”, takes place in Havana, Cuba in the early 1950s.

Tell us about your current release.  “The Story She Had to Tell” is about an old woman who wants to share her secret past before she dies. She hires an old friend, who happens to be a writer, to come live with her, interview her and create a book. The story she tells is what happened to her when she travelled to Havana, Cuba as a young woman with a girlfriend, never having been out of her state, let alone the U.S. What happens to her there changes her life forever.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?  I write in the mornings, before life stuff has cluttered my mind. But I don’t write every day. When I was writing my books, I would write 2-3 times per week, when I felt most inspired. Then I would write between 2-3,000 words in one sitting. With this method, I rarely experience writer’s block.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?   The writing part is not hard at all. The hard part comes after you finish. It is the promotion and marketing of your work. It is time consuming, challenging, and in general takes many writers, like myself, out of our comfort zones.  It can also be expensive.

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?  They are my biggest fans. My husband and my sister, especially. It has inspired both of my sons to write and they are both good at it!

Do you have critique partners or beta readers?  For my first book, I did not. To be honest, I was afraid to put my work out there. It felt like walking down the street naked. When I was writing my second book, I befriended a woman who was the leader of a writer’s group. She convinced me to come and share scenes with them. It was a little scary at first but then I loved it. They gave me insight and suggestions I never would have thought of on my own. I would highly recommend it.

How do you describe your writing style?  Personal. I try to write as if my reader is sitting across the table from me. I share not only my character’s thoughts but also their feelings. It is quite intimate. By the time you have finished reading my book, you feel like you know my characters. My style is simple, easy to read, without flowery prose.


Thank you so much for this opportunity! I enjoyed it thoroughly!



ABOUT THE BOOK

The Story She Had to Tell
by Sarah Tauber


GENRE: Romance


BLURB:

Madeleine had a secret, a story that happened over fifty years ago in Havana, Cuba. Before she died, she wanted to share her story with the world.

After growing up on a farm in Maine and graduating college, this intelligent but naive young woman traveled to Havana with a girlfriend, looking for adventure. What happened there changed Madeleine’s life forever. From the moment she laid eyes on Carlos, she was turning over her fate to a man she barely knew.

This is a heart-wrenching love story that promises to stay with you long after the book is finished.



EXCERPT

I remember thinking to myself as I walked through his home, Mina, you really don’t know this man. But strangely enough, I was not frightened. There was a quality about him that made him familiar. He no longer felt like an exotic stranger, more like a new friend. I was beginning to really like him, and it felt reciprocated. I was smiling on the outside and on the inside.

“Are you hungry? My chef has prepared a wonderful Cuban dinner for us, which we can eat out on the patio. It’s such a beautiful night I thought it would be nice to dine outside.”

“Yes, that’s a lovely idea.”

There was music playing inside the house that we could hear while we were eating. The dining experience left nothing to be desired, nothing. After dinner, he invited me back inside to listen to the lovely Cuban music. “Care to dance?” I gave him my hand, and we started moving to the rhythm. It was all so perfect, so romantic. “My house feels like a home again for the first time in a long while. Thank you for agreeing to stay after you learned it was not a restaurant. I think you are an extraordinary woman, Madeleine, with style, intelligence and grace. I am privileged to have you here.”

And then he kissed me. This time it was not on the cheek. He kissed me firmly on the mouth. Tender at first and then with passion. It both thrilled and scared me a little. What have I gotten myself into?


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Sarah Tauber is a world traveler who retired three years ago from a corporate job to pursue her passions of dressage riding and writing. Her first book, “For Dear Life”, is a memoir covering two years she lived in Tehran, Iran in the 1970’s. It is available on Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com and Xlibris.com.    “The Story She had to Tell” is her first novel. Sarah lives in San Diego County with her husband of ten years.
Her blog and website can be found at sarahtauber.com. She can also be reached on Facebook and LinkedIn.

LINKS:







GIVEAWAY

Sarah Tauber will be awarding a $40 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour, and a copy of The Story She Had to Tell plus a $25 gift card to Target to a randomly drawn host.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

6 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thanks for hosting!

Juana said...

I have added this book to my book wishlist, and I can't wait to read this story.

Eva Millien said...

I enjoyed the posts! Sounds like a really good book, thanks for sharing!

Betty Woodrum said...

I enjoyed the excerpt, thank you!

Victoria Alexander said...

Great interview - thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading it :)

Angie D said...

Thanks for the interview!