Friday, October 30, 2015

The Heart's Journey Home by Nikki Jackson @goddessfish @journey4home




Interview with Tori Logan 
Main character in The Heart's Journey Home


Tell us about your family.
My name is Tori Logan, I’m seventeen and I live in an exclusive gated community in Napa Valley California.  I live there with my father Fletcher Logan and his girlfriend of almost nine years, Rachael Cleary.  My mother died of breast cancer when I was seven.  My dad, who’s an archeologist, met Rachael when we were out of the country on an archeological dig.  They had this whirl-wind romance and when the dig was over and we came home, she came with us.  Nobody asked me about this, I was just told she would be living with us.  My mom had only been gone about a year and now this stranger shows up and moves in?  Well I hate her.  I love my best friends though – AJ and Kalea.  They live just up the block.  AJ is seventeen too and he’s been my best friend since we were eight.  He had cancer when he was young and had to have his leg amputated but he’s okay now.  Kalea is just fourteen but she’s cool.  She’s got this near genius IQ and started attending our high school.  She was so geeky and cute that we let her hang out with us.  Now we love her like a little sister.    

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I’m from the Lakota tribe on the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota.  I was born there in the old way of my people.  My family’s clan name is Eaglewolf and we are the tribe’s trackers.  I was trained at an early age to follow in the footsteps of my clan so I’ve always wanted to be a tracker when I grew up – I want to work for the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit tracking serial killers.

What are your favorite TV shows?
American Idol, Jonas, The Middle,  American Ninja Warrior, Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader, House and Glee.  My total favorite is NCIS, I love Gibbs and crew.

What group do you hang out with in high school?
AJ and Kalea are my intimates.  I’m cool with various other kids on other levels but AJ, Kalea and I are tight.  I don’t have this type of relationship with anyone else. 

What are you passionate about these days?
Working for the FBI as a serial profiler.  I’m attending the Junior FBI Training Camp for a week over the summer and I can’t wait.  I attended last year’s camp and it was great!  It was held at their base in Quantico Virginia and our instructors were real live FBI agents.  They had classes in every aspect of FBI agent training and we shot guns so that was super cool.  I love working out at the neighborhood dojo gym and I especially love full contact mixed martial arts.  I’m real passionate about getting in the ring and fighting!

What one word best describes you?
Mystery.  That’s the first word that came to mind.  I think there’s more to me than what people see.  Sure, I’ve been told that I’m pretty, my body’s pretty toned cause I seriously work out, my dad’s a millionaire so I have access to things and places most kids my age don’t.  But all these trappings are not the real me.  I’m not brainless or a jockette, or snooty cause my dad has millions.  I’m a Sioux kid who wears moccasins and wants to be as normal as possible.  Sometimes I’m not quite sure what normal is.  Sometimes I’m a mystery to myself. 

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
I hate my dad being a millionaire.  I wish I could live in a normal neighborhood and have normal things and have a normal family with my mom and dad.  I’d give up this exclusive neighborhood and the ridiculous allowance that loaded to my card every two weeks and the new BMW I got this year for my birthday and I’d be satisfied living back on the reservation with my mom being alive and my dad working a regular job that didn’t take him out of the country all the time.  I’d happily give all this up to live normal with my mama.

Do you have a favorite quote, quip, or saying? What is it?
It’s kinda long but – “Scars are like memories, and tattoos.  When you fall, when your heart breaks, and when your best friend turns her back on you, it leaves a scar that can hurt every time you think about it.  It’s a memory that is stuck in your head.  It’s in the past, but it comes back and bites.  It’s a tattoo because it’s a memory that hurts, but doesn’t disappear.  It never does.  When you see it so vividly, you sometimes regret what led to the scar that is a memory that leaves an imprint in your life’s history.”  I saw it on the internet, from somebody name Nataly and it struck me so hard.  I started blubbering because it made me think of my mom dying.  I was there when she took her last breath and it left a scar. 

What is the next big thing?

Graduating from high school next year and starting college in the fall.  I’ve already taken my SATs, did super well and I’ve applied to the University of California Berkeley.  They have a great Psychology program.  I’m interested in Behavioral Sciences. That’s the first step towards me working my dream job of being a part of the FBI’s Behavior Analysis Unit.  That’s the long-term story, short term?  The dress-up ball and prom.  I feel like I’ve waited my whole entire life to be a senior and now it’s right around the corner.  Next year is going to be the premiere best year of my life.  I love that AJ and I are both seniors and will be graduating together.  Next year is just going to be cool.  I can’t wait.  

ABOUT THE BOOK

The Heart's Journey Home
by Nikki Jackson



GENRE: Young Adult


BLURB:

It’s summer vacation, and all seventeen-year-old Tori Logan wants to do is hang out with her two best friends, practice her mixed martial arts and go to FBI spy camp. Summer means freedom (mostly from adults) and Tori plans to fill every spare moment of her last summer before graduating from High School with all the fun things she and her best pals can come up with.

Tori, whose mom died of breast cancer when she was young, has always relied on her own strength to get by - especially because her Archeologist father tends to leave her behind with his live-in girlfriend while he gallivants around the world on digs.  Thankfully, Tori can take care of herself. She knows exactly who she is and what she wants to do with her life. Her Lakota Sioux grandfather, a former Navy SEAL, trained Tori in self-defense from a young age. Now, as a teenager, Tori excels at mixed martial arts and the use of various weapons.  During the summer she will be attending an FBI sponsored Summer Camp which she hopes will lead to her dream job – becoming an FBI serial killer profiler.

With her two best friends at her side, Tori believes she can handle anything. And with summer vacation stretching before them, the trio plans to find plenty of adventure.

But while Tori is determined to be independent, life has other plans for this fierce young woman, and they include coming to grips with some hard - and surprising - truths about both her past and her future.

EXCERPT

Tori was on Mitchell’s back, her right arm around his neck.  As he flailed about trying to get loose, they rolled over which allowed Tori to cinch her choking arm under Mitchell’s chin.  She clasped her left hand in her right and applied more pressure to his neck.

While he fruitlessly struggled she moved her left leg over his chest, then moved her right over the left shin locking her legs in place.   Mitchell rocked helpless back and forth, but he couldn’t get loose.

The crowd was yelling instructions to Mitchell and to Tori.  She bent her mouth close to his ear.

“Your choice Mickey.” she whispered loud enough for only him to hear.  “I’m not gonna make you tap out in front of everybody, just blink your eyes.” she said.  “Blink’em quick, outside of that you’re going to sleep.”

Mitchell felt his head getting foggy and he started seeing stars.  He was grabbing madly with his hands but he couldn’t get himself free.  He was starting to lose consciousness and he knew it.  He would never be able to live down being choked out by a skinny girl.  His life would be ruined!

While he still could he blinked his eyes with everything in him and he felt the hold loosening.  With his last ounce of strength he rolled over shoving Tori hard, as far away as he could, gasping for breath as he came to his feet.


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Ever since she was young, Nikki Jackson has loved reading and the way that books allow you to journey on wonderful adventures without ever leaving the comfort of home. She decided at a young age that she wanted to become a writer to enable others to experience the magic of books—and The Heart’s Journey Home is the result.
In addition to writing, Nikki Jackson is a contract worker for General Motors. She and her husband currently live in the Detroit metropolitan area.

Links
The Heart’s Journey Home Blog is currently under construction and will be online soon.


GIVEAWAY

Nikki Jackson will be awarding a $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour, and a $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn host.


a Rafflecopter giveaway


Post a Comment