Thursday, October 29, 2015

Cradle by Joshua Skye






Interview with Joshua Skye author of Cradle 

Use no more than two sentences. Why should we read your book?
Cradle is a very dark and twisted horror story written with a fairy-tale-like flair. Its unique, disturbing, and a hell of a good time.

Tell us about your current release.
Cradle is a pseudo-sequel to The Angels of Autumn, but is a stand-alone story. I continue to explore themes that were integral to Angels, loss, heartbreak, addiction, abuse, and neglect, but in the context of a new twisted tale. It’s not merely a rehash of the first one, like so many sequels seem to be. Cradle is its own man, so to speak, with its own unique personality and style.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?
The writing itself is the hardest part, though I enjoy it immensely. It’s not always easy to convey my thoughts in words, to interpret the images I see in my head. It can be challenging to say the least, but one I happily accept. The ultimate reward is having something you’re proud of. I’m very proud of The Angels of Autumn and Cradle. I am particularly proud of the imagery I evoke in these books.

What do you think makes a good story?
First and foremost, the imagination of the author. Character development is paramount. I think the reader should, in at least some small way, identify with and/or sympathize for the protagonists. The writing itself is important. And a good horror story should always, ALWAYS have a truly horrifying villain. Cradle has a very nasty baddie.

Describe what it’s like to be an author in three words.
Rewarding. Frustrating. Enjoyable.

How did you start your writing career?
I’ve been writing my whole life, but it was relatively recently that my work has been getting published. I recall my first story was written when I was in third grade and it was Star Wars fan fiction of a sort. I still have it around here somewhere. It was in junior high that I really started writing original stories, all horror. I’ve written comedies, but my sense of humor is so dark that they’re only amusing to me. My first book Xerxes Canyon was published in 2011 and I’ve been steadily publishing since. Cradle is my latest release, a pseudo-sequel to The Angels of Autumn. I have several projects in the works.

Who is your favorite author?
I have two, Shirley MacLaine and Stephen King. I read everything they come out with. I started reading King when I was a kid. I actually got into trouble for bringing Night Shift to school. It was the Children of the Corn movie release with the poster as the cover art. Apparently it scared my classmates. Shirley MacLaine’s Out on a Limb is the book I’ve read the most, about 20 times or so. I also read Party Monster by James St. James a lot.





Cradle
Joshua Skye

In the deepest vale of Crepuscule’s Cradle, in the cul-de-sac at the end of Direful Hollow Road, is a once grand Folk-Victorian home known as The Habersham House. It’s a place haunted by far more than rot and neglect - evil dwells here, an evil that craves children.
Eight-year-old Scott Michaels-Greene has a fascination for tales of the strange and unusual, especially local folklore. His favorite story is the one about Habersham House; a ruined old place where many curious children have disappeared.
Hours away from Crepuscule’s Cradle, in Philadelphia, author Radley Barrette has just lost the love of his life to a random act of violence. Amongst his endowments from Danny’s estate is an old house in the backwoods of Pennsylvania, Habersham House. Though grief stricken at leaving behind the only home he and Danny had ever known, he knows he cannot remain in the city. Besides, the isolation may be just what he needs to clear his mind of the writer’s block he’s suffering from.
Crepuscule’s Cradle is not as he imagined. The locals are inhospitable. The skeletal forest surrounding it is as unwelcoming as the town. And the house itself – there is something menacing, something angry inhabiting it with him, and it’s hungry. Radley’s world slowly begins to unravel; the fringes of his reality begin to fray. In the midst of his breakdown, a local boy with an unhealthy fascination for Habersham House begins sneaking around and the evil residing within has taken notice.
Blending fantasy with horror, Crepuscule’s Cradle is the darkest of fairy tales. The morbidity of classic folklore and contemporary style weaves a web of slowly encroaching unease. Radley Barrette’ winter bound home is more than a haunted house, and Crepuscule’s Cradle is more than a mere horror tale. It’s a bedtime story that will pull you into its icy embrace, lull you into a disquiet state, and leave you shivering in the dark.

Cradle is available online at:


Amazon Print: US | UK | Canada | Germany | Italy | France | Spain | Japan | Mexico | Brazil | India

Barnes & Noble (Print & eBook)







 About the Author - Award winning, bestselling author Joshua Skye was born in Jamestown, New York. Growing up, he split his time between Pennsylvania and Texas. Ultimately he settled in the DFW area with his partner, Ray - of nearly two decades, and their son Syrian. They share their lives with two dogs, Gizmo and Gypsy, and a chinchilla named Bella. Skye’s short fiction has appeared in numerous anthologies including Childhood Nightmares: Under the Bed, and periodicals such as The Sirens Call. He is the author of over ten critically acclaimed novels, among them The Angels of Autumn that takes place in the same nightmarish universe as Cradle.

No comments: