Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Convenient Wedding by Susie Warren: Character Interview with Excerpt








CHARACTER INTERVIEW

Laurie:  Hi Lucia and Anderson.  Welcome to Laurie’s Thoughts and Reviews.  I was delighted when you both agreed to stop by for a question and answer session.
Lucia:  Hi Laurie. It’s a pleasure to be able to hang out on your blog today.
Anderson:  Thank you for having us. It’s not often that we get interviewed by the founder of such a marvelous blog. Please ask away.
Laurie:  I think readers may want to know something about your background. Can you tell us about your family? 
Lucia: I’m an only child but my mother has two sisters who each have an only daughter about my age. I grew up with my cousins, Isabel and Emilia, and we all went to the same boarding school outside Boston.  In fact, in many ways we are like siblings.
My parents moved from Connecticut to California when I was a less than a year old, leaving behind my father’s political ambitions. But we visited often and remained close to my grandparents and Aunt Francine.
Anderson: Sadly, I lost my mother to a long bout of breast cancer just before the campaign began. I’m close to father, Arthur, and he has been a source of inspiration and encouragement. 
Laurie:  The public knows what your ambitions are in terms of the political realm. Can you share with your readers, what you most fear in this world?
Lucia: It’s a difficult question. We are in the spotlight each day and I guess I worry about making a mistake or giving the public the wrong impression about something.
Anderson: Not making a difference. I want my time in this world to count for something. In a small way, getting into politics will allow me to serve a greater good - the lives of those in our society who are the most at risk.
Laurie: Have you always known that you were destined to go into politics?  
Lucia: Not really. My grandfather is a former governor of Connecticut so to a certain extent I took the political world for granted. But now I’m seeing a much different side of politics.  I’m helping Anderson run as the underdog. There is nothing certain about the race and it is too close for us to know the outcome until Election Day.
Anderson: Growing up, I was only interested in building things and architecture. It wasn’t until recently that I had a first-hand look at how red tape and bureaucracy can get in the way of homeless shelters, while at the same time losing my mother, did I begin to think about the larger world.

Laurie:  On a lighter note, are either of you competitive or do you play any sports?
Lucia: Anderson is rather competitive. When we go running together, he has to win.
Anderson: It’s true. I play many different sports and I prefer to win. With campaigning, there isn’t much time for organized sports but I work out each day.

Laurie:   Besides each other, what are you passionate about these days?
Lucia: I’m surprised to say this but solitude. There is so much opportunity when campaigning to meet new people and learn about issues that people face that I need time to re-energize. If I don’t take that time, I’ll lose focus.
Anderson: Spending time with my family and close friends. Campaigning is tough and literally I could work 24 hours a day. But I make sure to find quiet moments to spend with Lucia and my father.

Laurie:  I have another tough question. If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?
Lucia:  I’m known to be a little impulsive at times so I’ve had a tremendous amount of experience apologizing to my family and friends. I can’t imagine anyone that is waiting for an apology from me.
Anderson: I’ll take the fifth on that. I’m in the middle of a close campaign.
Laurie:   Are you planning on living at your loft apartment in Greenwich after the campaign? Lucia, do you find the loft to be more Anderson’s style or have you settled in?

Lucia: I love the architecture. But it depends on the election. If Anderson wins, then we would split our time between Greenwich and D.C. If not, the loft is a beautiful space and I think we will be happy there for a long time.
Anderson: I’ve been distracted lately. But I can’t imagine not embarking on another building project in the future. Lucia and I will have to collaborate.
Laurie:  I hate to ask this, but what if you don’t win the election?
Lucia: Our focus right now is winning so it is hard to imagine a different outcome.
Anderson: I plan on winning but there are many other opportunities to explore if ultimately I’m not elected. My architectural firm would welcome me back for starters.
Laurie:   What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
Lucia: I’m a competitive swimmer. I won many competitions in college and I particularly love ocean challenges.
Anderson: That I fell in love at first sight.

Laurie:   Is there a piece of advice that you have received that has really stuck with you? If so, what was it?
Lucia: Listen closely and people will tell you all sorts of things. I got this advice from an early mentor in my public relations career and I think it is very true. If you are a good listener then people will share their story.
Anderson: Never apologize for being the best at something. The world can be a tough place and sometimes you need to put yourself fully out there.


ABOUT THE BOOK


The Convenient Wedding
by Susie Warren


BLURB:


A reluctant socialite is pulled into a scandal and must choose between her families’ reputation and her future happiness.

Lucia Montgomery is from an old and powerful political family in Connecticut and desperately wants to shed her reputation as a superficial socialite. Against her family’s wishes, she seeks a position working for a fiercely contested political campaign and the dark horse in the race, Anderson Adams. She is thrown into the middle of a scandal of her own making when she is tricked into going to his hotel room. Anderson persuades her to play along with a pretend engagement then an actual wedding to save her reputation and his campaign. The media falls in love with the charismatic couple and they must figure out how to reconcile their public image with their private life.



EXCERPT

Anderson Adams watched the graceful, blond girl across the room spin seductively in an effort to show off her gown. She was strikingly beautiful and seemed to spread cheer to those gathered around her. He decided in that moment that he needed a break from the endless political chatter surrounding him.

He politely excused himself from the discussion and asked his campaign manager, Brian Gallagher, “Who is the beauty across the room?”

Brian followed his gaze and said, “Ah, Bella Montgomery. William Montgomery’s granddaughter. I’ve heard that she has relocated to Connecticut and is interested in launching a PR firm. I think she goes by Lucia Montgomery now.”

“Have you spoken with her this evening?” Anderson kept his voice disinterested. He needed a diversion for the evening but had to be careful of his reputation. It wouldn’t help his cause to irritate the former governor. While this campaign may not end in success, he had other political aspirations for the future.

“Not yet. But her grandfather asked that I interview her for a position in the campaign. Apparently, he would like to see her heading up the PR elements. The campaign needs experience and talent not a bored socialite but having a connection to the former governor wouldn’t hurt us.”

Anderson avoided making eye contact with anyone, taking a moment to contemplate his approach. “Connections are important. William Montgomery has the influence and positive record to energize older voters. An association with Ms. Montgomery could prove to be helpful.”

His campaign manager put a hand on his shoulder and guided his view away from Lucia Montgomery. “I wouldn’t seek her out. She is exactly what you don’t need. Young, blond and receptive. You need to be seen having a mature relationship, not chasing a young socialite who may end up having a position in the campaign.”

There was no way he would allow his campaign manager to dictate his choice of companion. Cultivating a veneer of respectability was necessary, but he wouldn’t allow it to command how he lived his life.

Taking a large swallow of whiskey, he handed the empty glass to Brian. “I’ll see what she has to offer the campaign.”

Making his way across the room, he noted her companion abandoned her when she saw him coming towards them.

He stopped within a few feet of her and was captivated by her intense and open stare. He had the sense that she had been waiting for him. The crossover V-neckline in front and back exposed sun-kissed, flawless skin. He had to push away thoughts of her undressing for him. How could she tempt him so easily? He had given up on women in the last few months, instead deciding to slide into a forced celibacy after his last nightmare of a relationship had ended with bitter regrets.

He said, “I don’t think we have met. I’m Anderson Adams.”


AUTHOR Bio and Links:



Susie Warren writes contemporary romance. Besides being an avid reader, she spends much of her free time crafting intense and complex stories about falling in love. When she is not writing, Susie works as an administrator in a small, independent school while caring for three teenagers and keeping tabs on her inventor husband. With the launching of her first book, The Forgotten Heiress, she has slowly begun to navigate the social media realm.
Susie loves to hear from readers and responds to each email and Facebook post. Please reach out to her via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Warren/647556668647832 or Twitter @susiecwarren

For more information on her upcoming releases, new excerpts and other related postings, or to sign up for free promotions, please visit www.susiewarren.com


The Rosa Legacy Series

The first novel in The Rosa Legacy series, Ruthless Perfection, started with the idea of a traditional Italian mother who wanted her only daughter happily married. The mother, Carla Rosa Neri, along with her two sisters, Francesca and Marie, had emigrated from Italy as young girls and each went off to create a dynamic and successful family.
Each of the sisters had an only daughter and they made sure the girls spent time together. They attended the same boarding school in the northeast and visited each other’s homes in the summer.

Ruthless Perfection

Carla Rosa married into the Neri family with a long history in the Carrara marble industry. Her daughter, Isabel Neri, being a filmmaker and wanting to honor her grandfather’s legacy, approaches a reclusive billionaire, Marc Santoro, to ask permission to produce a documentary about the life of a quarry worker. Ruthless Perfection is the story of how they fall in love.

The Exiled Jeweler

Francesca Rosa married into the Berceto family with a long history in the jewelry making business. The Second novel in The Rosa Legacy series, The Exiled Jeweler, is about her daughter, Emelia, who went into seclusion after a scandal tore the family apart. Emelia is a talented jewelry designer who lived a sheltered life and was drawn into a passionate encounter with her family’s rival, Alexander Armati at a gala. Outside in the garden, photographs were taken on them and sold to the tabloid press. Her family was shocked and embarrassed and sent Emelia off to Florida. Four years later, she returns when her grandfather has a heart attack and her parents are deciding to sell the family business.

The Convenient Wedding

Marie Rosa married into the prominent Montgomery family, with a successful background in politics. Her only daughter, Lucia, is fascinated by politics and becomes a campaign aide. The opportunity to work on a senate campaign in Connecticut draws her into the middle of a scandal. Anderson Adams is a dark horse in the senate race yet convinces Lucia to play along with a strategy to save his campaign. The third novel in The Rosa Legacy series, The Convenient Wedding, is the story about how they reconcile their public image with their private life.



GIVEAWAY

Susie will be awarding $50 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour, and a $25 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn host.



a Rafflecopter giveaway


11 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting

Susie Warren said...

Thanks for welcoming me to your site today!

168d7130-34d4-11e2-91ad-000bcdcb5194 said...

It's a fun character interview!

--Trix

MomJane said...

I really love the sound of this story. I enjoyed the excerpt a lot.

Rita said...

I liked the character interview.

Betty Woodrum said...

I enjoyed the interview!

Victoria Alexander said...

Great post! I always love reading character interviews, they're so fun to read :).. thanks for sharing.

Angie D said...

I enjoyed the excerpt! Thanks!

Ree Dee said...

I loved the character interviews! Thank you.

Nikolina said...

Really enjoyed reading the excerpt, thank you!

Karen H said...

Love those character interviews. Great fun to read and one can learn so much about the characters of the book.