Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Stardust Dreams by S. B. Redstone: Interview with Excerpt




INTERVIEW


Welcome!  I am so pleased to host you and your new book today on my blog.  Thanks so much for agreeing to a short Q&A!! It’s great to have you back! Tell us about a favorite character from a book.

Let me change the question slightly, if you wouldn’t mind. In Stardust Dreams, I cannot honestly say I have a favorite. I adore and admire each of the three main characters I created. Lance Forrester is a scientist, astronaut, dreamer who hopes to fall madly in love with his adolescent dream girl and explore the galaxy like Captain Kirk of Star Trek. Sage Saint Charles is an actress with only sad and bitter memories in her lonely world. But, there is a child within her desperate for a happier life. And Medora of Pirodinos is equally desperate to regain her passion for life and to love deeply again. She hopes Lance becomes her savior. Now you can see my dilemma. 

Does travel play in the writing of your books?

It does in Stardust Dreams. Travel is the heart of the book. And Lance Forrester and Sage Saint Charles, two elderly people near death, aren’t traveling to Chicago, Paris, or even to the moon. They are traveling thousands of light years into our Milky Way Galaxy with the hope of being found by an advanced and friendly alien civilization that will hopefully offer them immortality, adventure, love and happiness. He is an incredible optimist. That’s how stardust dreams are realized!

How do you describe your writing style?

The style I’ve chosen is based on Shakespeare’s plays. Like a canon blast, I present the crisis, crime, or conflict and let it evolve for the rest of the story. I’m not in the boring readers business. I hate boring story openings, so does my wife, and we’re quick to dump a book. It might become interesting at page 200, but by that time, you’re so annoyed, who cares. Furthermore, I like to be succinct, a style I developed from writing short stories. My dialogue can be tense, witty, or warm, or biting. I keep the action intense and moving. The last is mystery. I always keep my readers guessing and on the edge of their seat. 

What group did you hang out with in high school?

My group didn’t hang out. That would have been a waste of our time. We created, built, played, imagined, and were passionate about our “hobby of the week”. We shot rockets at the moon, built scooters to race down the hills, flew kites over the tallest trees, body surfed in the ocean, played every sport including golf, and saw every new movie in the theaters. Of the friends I had retained contact with over the years, all chose creative fields. It is all boyhood passions that have fueled my imagination and my obsession to never let them go. 

What hobbies do you actively pursue?

Since childhood, through adolescence, along with my career as a school psychologist and clinical social worker, and now in retirement, nothing has changed except I stopped building furniture, doing large home improvement projects, and mowing lawns. With greater free time, I still play many sports: golf, tennis, bowling, fish, hike, and softball. By the way, golf is always in my stories. More pursuits, I am a trained artist and photographer.  Is shopping a hobby? I love to shop. If there’s an outlet mall you’ll find me there. How many shirts and shoes can a man own?     

Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?

I do not live life through my imagination. Although I’d love to be as famous a writer as James Paterson, and devote my entire life to the craft, I would never sit at a computer, and let life pass me by. Introvert would never, ever cross the minds of my friends. If anything they know me as the life of the party. I brighten up the life of introverts. I rarely shut up, but I’m not a compete know-it-all. If it’s not a joke I’m telling or a story, or expressing my rage at an obnoxious news event, bragging about my kids and grandkids, then I’ll be helping friends come out of their shells. For me, if I hadn’t fulfilled my dreams, none of my characters would have either. And I seriously doubt any of them would have been worth reading about.     

Is there one passage in your book that you feel gets to the heart of your book and would encourage people to read it? If so, can you share it?

Let me just speak about Stardust Dreams, which is my first romance novel. As I’ve said, Lance Forrester is a dreamer. After a celebrated career as an astronaut and engineer, he and a friend built a secret spacecraft to seek their destinies in the stars. But, his friend died. Now that Lance is elderly and has terminal cancer, he hopes to convince a high school acquaintance, Sage Saint Charles, who is in hospice care, to join him on his quest for immortality and adventure in the galaxy. Only days from death, this dialogue expresses Lance’s passion to achieve his dream and his hope that Sage will want the same. “Sure, we can die here on Earth.” Lance says. “We can die in space. Or—we can awaken on a remote and caring world that saves us! We are the captains of our fate—not the Grim Reaper—yet!”

Do you have anything specific that  you want to say to your readers?

Stardust Dreams is my second novel. A Sinister Obsession was my first. It is an epic love story, but far from the usual or mundane and certainly not one you’re ever read before. There are more than enough mysteries to the very last page of the final chapter to keep you up all night until you finish. As a therapist, human nature and relationships are my areas of expertise, allowing me to make very real and dynamic characters. For Lance and Sage to achieve their happiness, like all of us, they’ll have to overcome their emotional baggage. I’ve made this story so realistic and heartfelt, you’ll probably imagine you’ve gone along with Lance and Sage on their grand adventure, but bring a box of tissues with you. You’ll need it. Just to mention, it’s a story that both men and women would enjoy. I’m a guy. I’m prejudiced, but I love it. And to be truthful, I’ve read it at least fifty time in its edits and I cry every time. 





ABOUT THE BOOK 

Stardust Dreams
by S. B. Redstone


BLURB:

Lance Forrester is a dreamer. After a celebrated career as an astronaut and engineer, he and a friend build a secret spacecraft to seek their destinies in the stars. But his friend dies and Lance is diagnosed with terminal cancer. Desperate not to succumb to his fate, he convinces an acquaintance, ailing actress Sage Saint Claire, whom he hasn’t seen since high school, to join him on his quest to reach an advanced alien civilization which can heal them both.

Unfortunately, true life is not a Hollywood movie, as much as Sage might want it to be, and problems abound. Mistakes in the past have turned Sage into a bitter old woman, and she turns out to be a less-than-perfect traveling companion which no amount of optimism, youth, or good health can cure. Can these two intrepid octogenarians-turned-immortals overcome the emotional scars of their pasts and achieve true happiness, or are they doomed to suffer for their mistakes, no matter how far from Earth they go?



EXCERPT

I knew that the truth in my heart reflected in my old, weary eyes. “Yes, I do. Look, I’m no slick-talking salesman, as you can see. I’m just a scientist and engineer, but I truly believe there is a statistical probability of success. But even if I’m wrong, and our voyage ends up to be pointless, so what? Think of the fun you’ll have. Imagine the excitement and wonders of space travel that come before our long sleep.”

 I paused to dramatize my resolve and let a burst of quixotic energy erupt from me. “Cherish the adventure!”

It wasn’t her fears that I was battling against, but a lifetime of distrust. My confidence in a successful mission collapsed.

“Of course, you have no reason to believe a word of what I’ve told you. You don’t really know me, except through my noted accomplishments. But I can’t disappoint you because I’m only offering friendship and hope.” I pushed my point harder.

“Sure, we can die here on Earth. We can die in space. Or we can awaken on a remote and caring world that saves us! We are the captains of our fate, not the Grim Reaper—yet!”


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Steven Rosenstein, penname S. B. Redstone, had a career as a school psychologist and private practice Licensed Clinical Social Worker on Long Island. Always seeking the truths of human nature, he wrote a personal improvement book, Taming Your Inner & Outer Bullies: Confronting Life’s Stressors And Winning, published by New Horizon Press Books. He has written articles on human nature and relationships, given lectures, and appeared on radio shows. Always having a vivid imagination, he first became a successful writer of short stories. His mystery thriller, A Sinister Obsession, was published by Black Opal Books. As an expert in the field of human psychology, he has an exceptional ability to develop realistic and exciting characters in his novels. Many of my characters have been taken from his clinical experiences. Stardust Dreams is his first romance novel, although romantic relationships stand out in his other works. He is a member of the International Thriller Writers Org and Romance Writers of America. He resides with his wife in New York and Florida.



Social Media Sites



Buy Sites



GIVEAWAY

S. B. Redstone will be awarding a $25 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.



a Rafflecopter giveaway


10 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting

inkblot19 said...

Good morning Lauri,

Thanks for having me as a guest today. I will be checking in during the day and will respond to comments and questions by your guests.

Steve

sbredstoneauthor said...

Thank you for having me as a guest today. I will be checking in tomorrow and follow up on comments. I really appreciated opportunity.

Best,

S. B. Redstone

Betty Woodrum said...

Great interview! I really enjoyed learning more about you and your book!

Victoria Alexander said...

Thanks for sharing both the interview and excerpt - I really enjoyed reading your post:)

Angie D said...

Enjoyed the excerpt! Thanks!!

sbredstoneauthor said...

Thank you Betty, Victoria, and Angie for your kind thoughts. I am so happy you enjoyed the interview and the excerpt.

S. B. Redstone

Rita said...

I liked the interview.

sbredstoneauthor said...

Hi Rita,

I very happy you enjoyed the interview. If you have any questions just write and I'll get back to you.

S. B Redstone

Ree Dee said...

Good interview! Thank you for the post and the giveaway!