Thursday, August 20, 2015

Trispero by Sean Adelman: Interview with Excerpt


INTERVIEW

Welcome!  Thanks so much for stopping by and agreeing to answer a few questions.  J

How did you start your writing career?
I often ask myself, how did an orthopedic surgeon in the middle of his career decide he wanted to start writing?  For that to make sense you need to know that the most important thing to me is my family.  I have a beautiful wife and three children two girls twenty and eighteen and my youngest is a boy who just turned thirteen.  My kids are all amazing in their own ways, one of the things that makes my middle daughter, Devon, special is that she has Down syndrome.  My wife and I always treated Devon like our other children, she went to the same school, same sports, and same activities.  This was just the norm for us, but as Devon got older people around us began to doubt and assume there were things she couldn't do, when we knew she could.  As Devon started medical school this frustration became more intense so that I needed to let everyone know what she was capable of.  There were lots of book about what to expect and factual nonfiction.  I wanted to write something that was fun to read, but inspirational. I knew that writing could be my tool to get my message about raising expectations and inclusion out to people.


Tell us about a favorite character from a book.
The obvious choice for me would be Jason, the dad in the story.  When I wrote Trispero I put much of myself in Jason.  The truth is that I truly admire Debbie, she has strength beyond reason and a tenacity that I can't help but admire

Tell us about your current release.
At its heart Trispero is a book about a dad, his daughter, there relationship and what he would do for her.  The subtext is a medical thriller with some science fiction dealing with genetics and how understanding ourselves can impact our future.  Trispero is a journey of a dad and his daughter through loss, discovery and redemption.  We find that a brighter future for us all is hidden as a gift within some of our most disenfranchised.  Will our world snuff out this gift before we discover its possibilities? 

Who is your favorite author?
It's hard to pick a favorite authors because they mean different things to me at different times in my life.  The easiest author that comes to mine is J.K. Rowling.  Harry Potter is the book that got my oldest daughter interested in reading when nothing else we did worked.  I will always have a fond spot in my heart for J.K. Rowling, I loved them as well.

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?
My writing career is a family effort.  My daughter, as I mentioned, is a big inspiration for the novels, but my entire family plays a role.  We actually formed our own company to publish my books and promote advocacy for persons with intellectual disabilities called RaiseExpecations.  My wife is basically the CEO of that company and thus helps hire the people who help with the books such as the editors and artists.  In addition, RaiseExpecations is our conduit to support our community through various charities as well.  My youngest, Ian, helps by reading my books and gives me plot and character ideas.  My oldest, Brenna, loves reading and is the inspirations for some of my characters. 

What was the scariest moment of your life?
The scariest moment in my life was right after Devon was born.  I was a second year orthopedic surgery resident working on very little sleep and Devon decided to come to us a little early.  Her birth went quickly without complication, but had no idea she had Down syndrome.  The nurse and the doctor were quiet because they suspected she had Down syndrome but didn't want to say anything.  Devon was having a little trouble so they decided to move her to the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) instead of the regular nursery for closer monitoring.  Devon first day of life outside of mom was in the NICU where some of her labs showed some concerning data.  There was a concern that she may be developing a condition called necrotizing enterocolitis which means a bad infection is causing some of your intestines to die.  So for the next week my wife (Sue) and I took turns sitting in the NICU with Devon and watching our oldest, Brenna while I got people to cover my surgical job.  I was early in my career so a little knowledge was a terrifying thing.  Spending a week in the NICU was the most terrifying time of my life, but also was the begging of the relationship with my second daughter.

Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

The best advice I was ever given was "keep writing".  Don't worry about what other people say or think.  Every day just write a little, a sentence, a page, whatever, just keep writing.  Write for yourself, the more you do it the easier it will come.  There were many days when I wouldn't know what to write, but after a sentence of, "the light came in through the trees......." I would find myself pages down the road with new idea for the next chapter.

ABOUT THE BOOK

Trispero
by Sean Adelman



BLURB:

Our intellect directs us. Our humanity defines us.

What if the key to unlocking our genetic code and our future lay within some of our most disenfranchised individuals? Would we still shun them?

Seattle in the year 2330: centuries of conflict have led to this precipice. If the world is to move forward, Olivay has the difficult task of teaching Alucia her history. Olivay knows that without understanding where she came from Alucia will never be able to help humanity explore the universe.

In present day Seattle, Jason Roy is a scientist whose life revolves around his daughter, Lily. Within her genome lies a secret that Jason has dedicated himself to uncovering. The mundane life of a scientist and his family takes a turn when a multinational corporation decides Jason Roy's research is a danger to them.

Jason and Lily are now running away from an unforeseen enemy and toward a discovery that will change mankind. Altering the world may come too late for Jason to save what matters most in his own world.

The great irony of unlocking our genetic potential was finding that our greatness was found in our love for one another.
-Trispero almanac


EXCERPT

“Ms. Sydney, you have five minutes left.”

I don’t have time. Debbie made a split decision. She moved the files directly into her drive before her program finished. “Thirty seconds, twenty seconds, five seconds. Download complete.”

“Ms. Sydney, what are you doing?”

The alarm had notified him. Debbie carefully watched as the security guard moved toward her. He was the only other person here. The young guard at the window was not in her direct line of sight. Debbie quickly removed her drive. The guard moved in closer.

“Ms. Sydney, I will need you to give me that drive and come with me!”

Debbie bowed her head as she turned with her hand held out gesturing toward the guard as if she was going to give him the drive. The guard reached to take it when Debbie seized his hand pulling him forward and allowing his momentum to increase the force as her opposite elbow collided with his temple. The guard was dazed but not out, so before he could alert anyone, she put him in a sleeper hold until he was out completely. Debbie quickly slid him under the table and moved toward the door. The guard in the window must not have heard anything as indicated by his curt nod. She returned his gesture and took great care not to run as she went toward the stairs. Patience. Don’t attract attention. 

Debbie left the stairwell carefully walking past the administration building security. The lines from the morning were gone so the guards acknowledged her. She turned and smiled while pushing on the door just as the alarm went off. Debbie ran with all her might away from the security gate at the road entrance. Running behind the building as the alarm got louder and louder, Debbie pulled out her phone.

“Agent Davis, come get me.”



AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Sean Adelman is a practicing orthopedic surgeon in Seattle. When he isn't working hard to put people back together he enjoys writing, running, and attempting to play his electric guitar without frightening his two dogs, Chestnut and Orion. Sean has three children Brenna, Devon, and Ian with his wife of 25 years Susan.

Advocating for people with developmental disabilities is his life's passion and his inspiration for the middle grade book series, Sam's Top Secret Journal, and now his first adult novel, Trispero.
Join Sean on Facebook for book giveaways, events, and news on Sam’s Secret Journal and Trispero at https://www.facebook.com/SamsTopSecretJournal or visit his website at http://www.raiseexpectations.com/.



GIVEAWAY

Sean Adelman will be awarding a paperback copy of Trispero to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour, and a paperback copy of Trispero to a randomly drawn host.




a Rafflecopter giveaway

Post a Comment