Thursday, July 23, 2015

Chicken Soup and a Shot of Jack by Clarence ‘Poet 402’ Barbee: Interview






INTERVIEW


Welcome!  Thanks for taking time to answer a few questions.  Tell us about your current release
The current release Chicken Soup and a Shot of Jack is what most might consider a work of literary fiction.  It is filled with essays concerning life; the ebbs the flow, and different ways of working through them.  It also contains some pretty epic poetry that provides commentary on today’s hot topics.


Has someone been instrumental in inspiring you as a writer?
The most instrumental person who inspired me was my 8th grade English teacher Ms. Mobley.  She challenged me to write a poem, and as an 8th grader who was unsure of himself, I didn’t think poetry was a good platform.  However, I took the challenge because I was a boy, and sure wasn’t going to back down on a challenge.  I ended up winning first prize in a contest and I continued writing.


What is the hardest part of writing your books?
The hardest part of writing my books is developing the stories.  I love writing short stories, and love coming up with the topics and rough outline.  However when I have to think through how the plot is going to develop, or that special moment when one character says something to another to shift the plot, get difficult sometimes.  But like I said, I do love rising to meet a challenge.


Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?
In college I received the nickname “Nabraska” because I was one of two people from the state—and I was black.  (And of course there are no black people in Nebraska! lol)  Well the name stuck, so when I started performing poetry on stage, I took the moniker and ran with it.  Years later, still doing spoken word I’ve adjusted the nickname and turned it to poet402.  So now I stick it in between my first and last name—Clarence ‘poet402’ Barbee


If you were to write a series of novels, what would it be about?
The series of novels would be something like the movie Crash.  I love how there were these group of characters who were going through their life, and they intertwined with other characters.  I am obsessed with human interaction, and not necessarily the huge life changing stuff, but the small happenings that end up turning into something big.  I just think the building on all these seemingly small things would be great to build on and have a great series.


Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?
The suggestion I have for beginning writers are two things.  One write all the time, no matter if you think its crap, or no good, just keep doing it.  The second piece of advice is to not listen to other writers.  Writers are who they are, they write, they’re not advice givers or therapist.  If you want to find out if your stuff is good, it is, you just have to find your audience.


When's the last time you played that musical instrument?

I actually play a little bit of saxophone and a little bit of piano.  I’ve recently finished building a very small in-home studio where I write, play, and record some spoken word poetry tracks.  It’s a bit of a guilty pleasure because it allows me to access all of my creative outlets, and recording is almost as fun as good sex with an ex!




Chicken Soup and a Shot of Jack
by Clarence ‘Poet 402’ Barbee


BLURB:

Chicken Soup, and a Shot of Jack is a strikingly impressive work of literary fiction from new author Clarence Barbee.  The writer weaves his form of prose, delighting readers with thought provoking lessons on how to balance the good and bad in life.  The book offers common sense values filled with humorous stories and tales. 

Amazon 



EXCERPT

So why now, are we all not outraged, are we all not asking questions, and fighting, together?  Is racism still that strong, is the white supremacist structure still firmly in place, has the economic development of the African-American community risen so high there are too many economic elitist to give a damn?  It must be Facebook and Twitter, because I do not see the liberal white college students there in Missouri and New York, on the front-lines like they were in Mississippi, and we were during the 99% protest.  Why were the 99% protest called protest, and the protest in Missouri called riots?

--From the essay Black Lives Matter







AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Clarence Barbee has been writing and performing poetry for over a decade.  He has produced 9 spoken word albums, under the pseudonyms Nabraska and Poet402.  Clarence is now working on self-publishing books of essays and short stories.

In his professional life he has worked with, educated, and supported many children.  Clarence believes in keeping an eye on political planes and social occurrences such as changes in world leadership, and social inequalities.  These actions of men are a huge curiosity to the author; he believes in writing about them, and discussing them, so solutions can be made.

Clarence has taken these experiences and written about them extensively. He asks, “Who doesn’t want to be happy,” then goes about the business of finding the answer.  Please take some time to join him on this journey as they are set through words, sometimes with music, and always taken with a grain of salt.

Links

Website: iwritebooks.yolasite.com

Twitter:  @former402poet












GIVEAWAY


Clarence will be awarding $10 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour, and a $10 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn host. 


a Rafflecopter giveaway

Post a Comment