Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Beacon by Angela Brown: Character Interview with Excerpt







Character Interview with Macie Breen, Age17
Citizen status: Registered, ward of The Colony

Number of blood donations: 0, just broke first blood so schedule to make first donation.
Thanks, Laurie, for convincing The Colony to let me do this interview. They scrubbed a lot of your questions but here are some that I think I can get away with J


Hi Macie! Welcome!  It's great that you were able to stop in.  Tell us about your family. // What was the scariest moment of your life?
So I put these two questions together because the scariest moment of my life was the day I found out my mom and dad, the only family I had, were missing. I was barely nine-years-old when it happened. Worst. Day. Ever.

Some in New Festus presume they’re dead. I’ve even overheard a few citizens say they think mom and dad abandoned me, like they decided being selected for Jubilee was their ticket to a new life… without me. The things people say when they don’t know who’s eavesdropping.

What book are you reading now?
So I’m re-reading Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. Best. Book. EVER! But don’t tell anybody. It was scrubbed from the Net a while back and I just got the recent upload to my holo-rod. The Colony keeps censoring the best stuff. Thank heaven for Net pirates. Without them, I’d be stuck reading stuff like the Benefits of Joint Human and Vampeer Relations.

What is your favorite meal?
My BFF, Thane, is an unregistered and he hunts the nearby forest for his meals. Thomas, my fave chef, usually receives Thane’s kills and prepares half for the registered living in our housing facility and gives the rest back to Thane. My fave meal of all is the elk. I don’t know what Thomas does to that meat, but the ribs taste like heaven. They’re so good you want to eat the bone! Then he does these loaded mashed potatoes that are so wicked good they make me want to slap Whitney, our home’s resident advisor, although I wouldn’t mind slapping her for general purposes the way she’s always nagging me and trying to get me in trouble.

What would you consider to be the best book you have ever read?
Ender’s Game. Hands down. Who saw that ending coming? Who? I didn't. Even when I read it again and again, the ending is still as twisted and fantastic every time.

What would we find under your bed?
Okay, so I wish you could find something under my bed. But that’s not possible. We have inspections because we are “wards of The Colony” living in Colony provided property. So the inspections happen so often that I don’t get a chance to stash anything under there. You might find dust bunnies, though, since I won’t get a demerit for those.

Tell us about your favorite restaurant.
Because I am a ward of The Colony, we don’t get to go to restaurants. Our meals are provided morning, noon, and night by the chef assigned to our kitchen for the month. I can’t even recall going to a restaurant with my parents. Or maybe I just don’t want to remember…


What makes you happy?
I've heard a few people mention that happiness shouldn't depend on a person, but they don’t have a BFF like Thane. He’s been there for me since my parents died, disappeared… whatever. He’s been the one steady thing in my life that I can depend on. And, well, when he’s near me, I feel alive inside, excited. Thane makes me happy.



BOOK INFORMATION


Beacon
by Angela Brown


BLURB:

Tsunamis reduced the USA into a shell of itself, called The Fold. Surviving humans and vampires joined forces to form The Colony, where registered citizens do as they're told.

They donate blood quarterly and dream of being chosen as Attendees for the Jubilee celebrations, that is, everyone except Macie Breen. With high school graduation near, she’s anxious to ditch the rules in hopes of starting a new life with Thane, an unregistered and also her best friend.

Her hopes fizzle when Macie is selected as an Attendee, forever registered. Any future with Thane…impossible. Being chosen comes with another unexpected price.

Truths about The Colony blaze into ashes and lies when she discovers the vampires haven't kept their part of the bargain. Worst still, Macie’s life unravels as her stint in the city of Bliss forces her to face daunting truths about who, and what, she really is.

Buy Links:   Evernight    Amazon 


EXCERPT


Thane tapped the door. “Would it help if I said I didn’t see anything?”

“No!”

He snickered some more. I cringed. Embarrassment coursed through me, heating every inch of my skin.

“Would it help if I told you what I did see looked beautiful?”

I hesitated half a heartbeat. “Don’t lie to me!”

“It’s not a lie.” He didn’t laugh. His voice, his tone, quiet, honest.

I stared at the door and wanted to giggle myself. Flutters erupted in my belly.





AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Born and raised in Little Rock, AR, Angela now calls Central Texas home. She's a lover of Wild Cherry Pepsi and chocolate/chocolate covered delicious-ness. Steampunk, fantasy and paranormal to contemporary - mostly young adult - fill her growing library of books. Mother to a rambunctious darling girl aptly nicknamed Chipmunk, life stays busy. Her favorite quote keeps her moving: "You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result." ~ Mahatma Gandhi



Angela Brown in the Pursuit of Publishness blog: http://publishness.blogspot.com/








Buy Links:   Evernight    Amazon 





GIVEAWAY

Angela will be awarding a $75 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour, and a $25 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn host.


a Rafflecopter giveaway


Post a Comment