Thursday, March 26, 2015

OP-DEC: Operation Deceit by K. Williams:Interview with Excerpt






INTERVIEW


Welcome!   Thanks for stopping by!  Tell us about your current release.

OP-DEC: Operation Deceit is my second novel. It takes place during the spring of 1942; the US has been involved for over a year. The story is mostly about Claire Healey, a wealthy heir to a manufacturer in Boston and his terrible secret. Her father has been supporting the Nazi movement since she was a girl. To keep it under wraps, he put her mother in an institution for the insane in Switzerland. When Claire returns home, a graduate of a girl’s school, her father is set to make his final move—transferring his wealth to Germany and setting up shop there to aid the enemy war effort.  At his side is an enemy agent. Her discovery of their plans forces the men to kidnap her, so that their trail isn’t picked up by American or Allied forces.  Throughout the journey, she comes to rely more and more on the enemy agent, finding him strangely kind and not at all her father’s man. With his help, she plots to escape, but it may be the end of one or both of their lives in pulling it off.

At what point in your life did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

I read a lot when I was a kid. I liked movies and books more than anything.  For a time I got into gaming, but through all, it was story that interested me. Telling tales, so to speak. Men like Spielberg and Lucas, Jim Henson, were my heroes—screenwriters, directors, actors…all people who liked to dream up stories and then play them out. The moment it became apparent to me was when I saw a film called Memphis Belle (1990). I drove my friends crazy with my obsession over this film (hey, Billy Zane was seriously hot as the Bombadier—Eric Stolz—Harry Connick Jr—I was fourteen).  They probably remember this, it was so bad! Somewhere in that time of fangirldom…I woke to the idea that I could write something of my own that touched me and other readers in the same way. It all made perfect sense with my history of classic film, classic books, documentaries… It all makes perfect sense now that I write historical fiction preoccupied with war. My background was always geared that way. The only other outcome might have been actor…director?

Plotter or Pantser? Why?

I am a pantser. I write notes on scrap bits of paper to help commit them to memory. If I forget about them, they will tend not to make it into the final work. The reason is, most ideas sound fantastic in the moment they hatch. They’re not always so. Give them a little time to sit and breathe the air. The ones that are forgotten should be forgotten. The ones I continue with, that I go back to grab my notes for…those are the good ones. But, in the end, because I write from page one to the final page, It depends on where the story goes if they’ll be considered. Letting an idea fully form in my head like a mini-movie is the best way I can see if it will work or not, and it has to be there in the moment. Plotting is too binding for me. It makes me miss ideas and opportunities that I find in just writing by the seat of my pants. I like the organic format of just tucking in.

Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

I’m definitely a night person. If I didn’t have to work a day job to support my art and pay rent, I’d never get up before 10 AM. Around 7-8 o’clock in the evening, I wake up—the old brain comes fully online. You’ll find me sitting in bed with the laptop tapping away at something, or, if there is no book project, chatting up friends online and looking for blogging ideas. I literally get sick if I get up too early, and I can be a crab before 10 AM—as I say, don’t wake the sleeping lioness in her cave unless you want teeth and claws.

What hobbies do you actively pursue?

I do various visual arts. I’m most adept at photography. My work can be seen online. The college that I work for uses me often to take images; my pictures have been used on their calendars and publications. I also sketch/draw a cartoon called Zo Duck. I’ve done some painting (oil, acrylic). I really enjoy doing graphics and digital painting. I haven’t produced much digital work but I have a ‘cafĂ© chalk board’ series, and some other quirky/whimsical works.

Do you hear from your readers? What kinds of questions do they ask?

I hear from my readers a lot! I love interacting with them on social media. The questions that they most often ask me are similar to the above. They want to know how I do what I do. They ask for background on the work, how long it took to write, what my goals are with writing, what I’m doing next. How do come up with this stuff? In a lot of cases, they’re also writers at various stages of the game. Answering them is important to me, because I had no mentor and no resource to reach out to. I hope that I can be that for someone who wouldn’t otherwise have the opportunity.

What is the next big thing?

I have a couple in the pike. Books: Blue Honor, my first novel, will be reissued by Booktrope this spring. In addition, the first in my fantasy/science fiction series: The Trailokya Trilogy, Book 1: The Shadow Soul will be released in spring. I’m finishing up the sequel to OP-DEC, OP-GHO: Operation Ghost. Other items: OP-DEC is being considered as a film. I wrote the adaptation for my final project in my master’s program and was lucky enough to find managers to try and place it with a studio. So, hopefully readers will like it well enough he studios could be moved to take on the adaptation. It would be very exciting to get to do this, as it’s the focus of my graduate studies and something I’ve been aiming for since Memphis Belle came out.

Say your publisher has offered to fly you anywhere in the world to do research on an upcoming book, where would you most likely want to go?

The United Kingdom (Wales, Scotland and England) and France to research the time of Edward Longshanks and his conquering of Wales and focus on Scotland. Let’s just say I have another historical work in mind using spies and war, which I simply call Maredudd (Meredith). They will have to make room for my dog to fly with me, not in cargo. I won’t be parted from her for more than a few hours at a time. She’s more important to me than anything. She makes an excellent research assistant, reminding me when it’s time for breaks and food.


ABOUT THE BOOK


OP-DEC: Operation Deceit
by K. Williams


BLURB:

A shadowy past becomes a sinister future… It's 1933 and the height of Boston's social season. Claire Healey overhears a terrible argument between her industrial-tycoon father and her socialite mother. Claire's father sends her mother away, declaring she is hysterical with fatigue. Displaced by this disastrous outcome, Claire is brought to New York by her spirited aunt, to be raised beyond the reach of the damaging turn of events.

Nine years later, Claire returns to her childhood home to face her past once more. The world has long since exploded in war. A mysterious stranger named Carsten Reiniger has infiltrated the scene, placing his commanding presence among the old familiar faces of Boston's elite. Intrigued by the newcomer, Claire struggles to piece together his identity and finds a dangerous connection to her troubling past. When Claire's prying comes to light, she and her aunt are whisked away in the middle of the night to ensure their silence. Can Carsten Reiniger be trusted or is he implacably loyal to duty alone?


EXCERPT

Claire was relieved her father had not taken up with a Nazi. Rumors of Americans sending their money overseas to the fascists had spread wildly back in New York. She blushed at having dared to think it of her father. Ever since that horrible day so long ago, Claire found fault and suspected everything her father did. She no longer wanted to do that, as it must have been routed in lingering blame for her mother’s displacement.

Clasping her hands in her lap, Claire still felt Carsten’s touch on her skin. She lowered her eyes to the floor, thinking of how silly she’d acted despite being a graduate of a prestigious girls’ school and certainly no longer a girl.

“I have a fabulous idea!” Claire’s father sat up again. “Why don’t you show Carsten a little of Boston for an evening? He’s been working so hard at the factory—I’m liable to burn him out. It would do him good to get out for once. I’ve given him no time to see anything but machinery. What do you say, Claire?”

Claire’s mouth went dry. She knew nothing about the young man her father was pushing at her. Regardless of his resemblance to the god Apollo, he spoke with a unsettling foreign accent. Besides that, he might as well prove to be a deity for all they had in common. Her eyes darted to Carsten. She crossed her legs and clasped her hands on her knee. She struggled for a response, but Carsten silenced her with a smile.


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Born in Saratoga Springs, New York, where she continues to reside, K.Williams embarked on a now twenty year career in writing. After a childhood, which consisted of voracious reading and hours of film watching, it was a natural progression to study and work in the arts.

K attended the State University of New York at Morrisville, majoring in the Biological Sciences, and then continued with English and Historical studies at the University at Albany (home of the New York State Writer’s Institute) gaining her Bachelor’s Degree. While attending UA, K interned with the 13th Moon Feminist Literary Magazine, bridging her interests in social movements and art.

Currently, K has completed the MALS program for Film Studies and Screenwriting at Empire State College (SUNY), and is the 2013-2014 recipient of the Foner Fellowship in Arts and Social Justice. K continues to write and is working on the novels of the Trailokya Trilogy, a work that deals with topics in Domestic Violence and crosses the controversial waters of organized religion and secularism. A sequel to OP-DEC is in the research phase, while the adaptation is being shopped to interested film companies. Excerpts of these and more writings can be found at: www.bluehonor.com.




GIVEAWAY

K. Williams will be awarding a grand prize of a paperback of OP-DEC: Operation Deceit (US only) to one randomly drawn winner and a digital copy of the book to 10 randomly drawn winners via rafflecopter during the tour.

a Rafflecopter giveaway
Post a Comment