Friday, December 12, 2014

Out in the Open by J.B. Glazer: Interview with Excerpt


 


INTERVIEW


Welcome!   Thanks for agreeing to answer a few questions.  Tell us about your current release.
My book is a contemporary romance about two coworkers who struggle to suppress their intense attraction in their pursuit of climbing the corporate ladder. My protagonist, Lexi Winters, always has played by the rules to get what she wants, but when she meets coworker Jake Hartman, she realizes the thing she wants most is off-limits. As their innocent flirtation escalates into something more, Lexi realizes she is in deep and must play by a new set of rules—if only she knew the game they were playing.

 

The story idea came to me while I was lying in bed one night and couldn’t fall asleep. It was important to me that the book feel authentic, so that meant writing about what I know best. I’ve worked at an advertising agency for fifteen years, so I channeled those experiences. It’s a fun and fashionable industry that served as the perfect backdrop for my story. While it’s a workplace romance, it’s really more about the character development and the struggles they face in balancing love while trying to advance their careers.

 


Does your significant other read your stuff?

My husband is not a big reader, but when he finds the time he prefers memoirs or mysteries. So it took a while for him to come to terms with reading a romance novel. I recognize he’s biased, but he’s now one of my biggest fans. He will shamelessly promote my book whenever he has the chance, which at times can be embarrassing. But I know he’s doing it because he’s proud of me and the fact that I embraced my dream. The only drawback was that he started comparing himself to Lexi’s love interest, Jake, and was worried that he didn’t measure up. I had to remind him that the book is a work of fiction, but it doesn’t hurt that he’s since stepped things up a bit. J

 
How do you describe your writing style?

I would describe my style as real. While there are no vampires or millionaire CEOs, I think readers will resonate with the strong, independent characters and the story’s inherent realism. So often I read books and walk away thinking, “Yeah, that’s great but it could never happen.” I wanted to create a plotline that readers will view as aspirational but attainable, with women being able to find a piece of themselves in the story’s heroine, Lexi.

 

Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?

Yes, I decided to use my initials. I liked the idea of being more anonymous and I think it creates a bit of intrigue. Plus, J.K. Rowling and E.L. James have had a lot of success, so perhaps they’re on to something!

 

Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

Definitely a night owl. I hate waking up early and resent my alarm clock going off at 5:43 each morning. I prefer to wake up at odd times! Having young kids definitely has been an adjustment because there’s no sleeping in on the weekends—or ever!


What one word best describes you?

Loyal

 

Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?

My friends would say I’m an extravert because I come off as very sociable and outgoing. But I’m actually quite shy and prefer to let others be in the spotlight. I’d rather listen than speak, which has been a great tool as a writer because I’ve drawn a lot of inspiration from others’ experiences.

 

Use no more than two sentences. Why should we read your book?
In the words of Lauren, who rated the book five stars, “I loved every aspect of the book - the writing was top-notch, the character development was stellar and the storyline was extremely well-crafted. I devoured the book, eager to find out what was going to happen between Lexi and Jake, and the ending definitely did not disappoint (boy did I not see that one coming).”




Out in the Open

by J.B. Glazer

 


 

BLURB:

 

 

Advertising executive Lexi Winters had a plan, but leaving her cheating fianc√©, her beloved New York, and a successful career weren’t on her agenda. At twenty-seven she faces the harsh reality of starting over again. She returns to her hometown of Chicago and lands a new job, where she meets Jake Hartman, the agency founder’s captivating nephew. Their chemistry is undeniable, but Lexi is protective of her fragile heart and isn’t ready to date again. Jake is on the fast track to leading the company and has vowed to his uncle never to let anything—or anyone—get in his way. What begins as harmless flirtation soon crosses a line that threatens to destroy Lexi and Jake’s promising careers. In a relationship plagued by secrets, will they risk everything to be out in the open?

 

Buy Links:   Amazon   B&N

 

 

EXCERPT

 

“I like your dress,” Jake says, lightly touching the fabric on my shoulder. He slides his hand down the length of my dress, grazing my breast, and rests it on my knee. I raise my eyebrows at him.

           

“You don’t mind, do you?” he asks in a low voice.

          

“No,” I say, meeting his gaze.

           

He stands up, and I stand up too, thinking we’re leaving. “Wait here,” he says, then closes the curtains to our seating area, giving us complete privacy. He makes his way back toward me wearing a determined expression that makes my heart beat wildly in my chest. Is he going to kiss me here, in the middle of the bar? He looms over me and takes the drink out of my hand. I feel the color rise in my face, and my breathing becomes ragged. Jake tilts my chin so I meet his gaze and leans in close when suddenly the curtains part and Brad walks in. “Sorry, dude,” he says to Jake, “but Maurice just informed me there’s a girl here looking for you. She says you work together, and she’s on her way down.”

 

Jake’s demeanor immediately changes. He fully opens the curtains and moves to the other side of the couch, putting some distance between us. I look at him questioningly, but his flirty smile is gone, replaced with a cool stare. Then I see a brunette talking to the bouncer, and I’m guessing she’s looking for Jake. She makes eye contact, and he motions her over.

 

 

 

AUTHOR Bio and Links:

 


J B Glazer developed a love of writing at a young age. She followed that passion to the University of Illinois, where she graduated with a degree from the College of Communications. She pursued a career in advertising, a field that provided an outlet to express her creativity. She has fifteen years of experience at the renowned Leo Burnett advertising agency in Chicago, which served as inspiration for her novel. She’s also a wife, mom, marketer, referee, short-order cook, maid, chocoholic, shopaholic, and multitasker extraordinaire. Visit her website at www.jbglazer.com, follow her on Twitter @JBGlazer, or connect with her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/jbglazer

 

Out in the Open is available at national retailers including Amazon and Barnesandnoble.com.

 

Buy Links:   Amazon   B&N

 


 

GIVEAWAY

The author will be awarding a $25 Amazon GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour, and a PDF copy of Out in the Open will be given to every host. 

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Post a Comment