Monday, December 8, 2014

Keep by Karyn Lawrence: Tens List with Excerpt

 


TENS LIST



What are 10 weird things about you?

 

1)     Baking powder often has an aluminum additive in it, and I can taste it and nothing else when it's used. My best friend tested me once by slipped a ½ teaspoon of it into pancake batter and I knew on the first bite. It makes everything taste metallic and I can't eat it. For years I thought I was a freak, but the internet proves that this is a real thing, and they even manufacture baking powder especially for people with this sensitivity.(I have a can in my pantry.)

2)     I spent 15+ years in marching band performing and coaching, where you always step off with your left foot, and I still have a hard time between left and right. It's embarrassing but I make the L's with my hands.

3)     For two months I was a professional ballroom dance instructor.

4)     I had a massive crush on Bruce Willis during the 1990s. He's only a few years younger than my father. I still think Bruce is sexy as hell.

5)     I used to mispronounce the word “frustrated.” I left out the first R and said “fustrated” like my Chicago-accented parents taught me.

6)     I'm sure I'm going to fall out of the car if I don't have a seatbelt on.

7)     I've never seen “It's A Wonderful Life.” I'm not opposed to it, but nobody ever wants to watch it with me.

8)     I met my husband while we were both on family vacations in Jamaica. (My sister met her husband this same way while we were in Belize.) So there was a sign-up sheet at my wedding for the single ladies to go on vacation with my parents.

9)     I wasn't allowed to own or play with Barbie dolls when I was little. I was blonde and blue-eyed, and my feminist mother worried it would give me body-type issues when I didn't grow up to look like that.

10)  In the last year I've typed 500,000 words (5+ books), and done it all with my index fingers. Well, sometimes I use my thumb for the spacebar. I'm fast though for chicken-pecking – usually 40 wpm.



Keep

by Karyn Lawrence

 

 

BLURB:

 

Billionaire CEO Shawn Dunn has plenty of sex, power, and money. A woman turning down his advances? Unfathomable. Yet that’s what she does, again and again.

 

Kara Hayward is supposed to be off limits. Her sister is hiding from the dangerous assassin she escaped from, and it’s best for everyone if Shawn keeps his distance. Certainly as far as Kara is concerned. Shawn’s only after one thing and then he’ll walk away, just like her ex-husband.

 

But Shawn has larger desires and he’s used to getting what he wants. He doesn’t care if being together is dangerous. He doesn’t believe that threat to him, or his empire, is real. Right up to the night he has everything taken away.

 

 

 

 

EXCERPT

 

This man moved with an elegance that was off-putting, as if everything was calculated, and then the gun disappeared into his suit coat.

 

“Does that make you feel safer?” he asked.

 

“No. It doesn't.”

 

He gave her a pleasant smile. “Why do you think that is?”

 

Maybe she could stall him. Maybe the police weren't far behind and any moment they'd burst through the door.

 

“I'm not naïve,” she said, for her benefit more than his. “Plus I know what kind of man you are.”

 

“Really?” He looked, for lack of a better word, delighted. “What kind of man am I?”

 

“You'll do anything to get what you want.”

 

“How do you know that?” His tone mocked her.

 

“I used to be married to a man like you.”

 

He gave her a look, his pure eyes shinning, one that said he highly doubted Paul was anything like him. That he was so, so much worse than her ex-husband.

 

“We're going to have fun together, you and me.”

 

A chill ran down her spine.

 

 

 

AUTHOR Bio and Links:

 

Karyn Lawrence is an author, graphic designer, and screenwriter. She published a nonfiction book about color guard after an editor discovered her blog, way back in the infancy of the Internet and long before blogging was really a thing.

 

She has been a screenwriter for more than fifteen years, with rather mild success, and grew tired of her stories only reaching a handful of readers. The decision was made to try fiction in early 2013 and once she figured out how to write internal dialogue again, the prose came fast and furious. She most enjoys writing smexy (smart-sexy) books featuring a lovable SOB hero and a tough-as-nails heroine.

 

Karyn is a Chicago native who lives in Kentucky with her epic husband and two adorable sons.

 


Twitter: @karynsloan 


 


 

 

GIVEAWAY

 

Karyn will be awarding a $25 gift card to Amazon, a signed paperback copy of both "Keep" and the first book in the stand-alone series, "Stay", bookmarks from "Stay" and a can kozie with the logo from the fictional beer company that the hero owns in "Keep" (Swag and print book are US only) to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.

 


a Rafflecopter giveaway


Post a Comment