Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Found, Near Water by by Katherine Hayton: Spotlight with Excerpt

 






Found, Near Water

by Katherine Hayton

 

 

BLURB:

 

Rena Sutherland wakes from a coma into a mother’s nightmare. Her daughter’s is missing – lost for four days – but no one has noticed; no one has complained; no one has been searching.

 

 As the victim support officer assigned to her case, Christine Emmett puts aside her own problems as she tries to guide Rena through the maelstrom of her daughter’s disappearance.

 

 A task made harder by an ex-husband desperate for control; a paedophile on early-release in the community; and a psychic who knows more than seems possible.

 

 And intertwined throughout, the stories of six women; six daughters lost.


 

 

EXCERPT

 

On the fifteenth of March 2007 I came home after a short day’s work, and Emma wasn’t there. Jacob was, but he was unconscious on the bed and from the smell of him he hadn’t got to that state accidentally.

 

There were the police asking endless questions. There was the media attention and my daughter’s photo pasted across the front page of a lot of newspapers. She didn’t look anything like those photos. She was living, breathing, full of motion and life and energy. She would snuggle in next to me on a weekend morning and run a length of my hair through her pudgy wee hands and exclaim in admiration ‘Mummy. You’re so pretty.’

 

I thought that not knowing was the worst thing I could ever endure. Not knowing if she was in trouble or needing my help or in pain. I worried that she’d been taken by someone that would hurt her, then I worried that she’d been taken by someone who would love her and care for her and in a year or two she’d have forgotten I ever existed. Not knowing was killing me.

 

But it turned out that knowing was far worse. When I went to the hospital to identify my beautiful girl’s broken body - that was worse than not knowing. When I buried her in the cemetery and compared the size of the gravesite to the other freshly buried bodies - that was worse than not knowing. When I drank myself to sleep on the anniversary of her sixth birthday, and realised that I would likely be doing that until my life ended - that was worse than not knowing.

 

 

AUTHOR Bio and Links:

 


 

Katherine Hayton is a 41 year old woman who works in insurance, doesn't have children or pets, can't drive, has lived in Christchurch her entire life, and currently resides two minutes’ walk from where she was born.

 

 For some reason she's developed a rich fantasy life.

 

 Buy her book and she'll be able to retire in luxury. Or in comfort. Or in just-scraping-by-but-at-least-I'm-not-in-the-office-24-7-ness.

 

Go on. 

Amazon Links:

Author Page: amazon.com/author/katherinehayton


 Paperback: http://amzn.com/0473279932  





 
GIVEAWAY

 
 
 
Commenter: $50 Amazon/BN GC
Host: $25 Amazon/BN GC


a Rafflecopter giveaway

6 comments:

Katherine Hayton said...

Hi Laurie, thanks very much for hosting me and my book today. I look forward to any questions and comments from your readers, and will drop by throughout the day. Cheers.

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thanks for hosting!

Kezia Shugrue said...

As a mother, this is my worst fear. I can't even imagine such an event. But I was unclear on the genre. I assume it's mystery? I read in pretty much every genre - I've even been know to read cereal boxes when nothing else presents itself!

Thanks for the giveaway, and best of luck with the new release.

168d7130-34d4-11e2-91ad-000bcdcb5194 said...

It's an intense excerpt!

Trix, vitajex(at)Aol(dot)com

Angie D said...

Loved the excerpt! I want to read this!

Katherine Hayton said...

Hi Kezia, thanks for your comments. Yes it is a mystery story. Cheers.