Tuesday, November 11, 2014

What Casts a Shadow by Seth Mullins: Interview with Excerpt

 


INTERVIEW

 Welcome!  Thanks for  agreeing to answer a few questions.  What part of the writing process do you dread?

Research of the more mundane variety – like to ensure that I haven’t accidentally used names of real and well-known people/establishments in my fiction – can get tedious.

What is your favorite Joke?

A couple of cannibals are sitting by a fire eating a clown. One turns to the other and asks, “Does this taste funny to you?”

Where do you get your best ideas?

They tend to ‘visit’ me when I’m out and about, being active rather than staring at a blank page or at the computer screen. Being surrounded by nature also helps, as does music.

What do you do to relax?

I have playlists of songs – ambient music; slow, extended psychedelic jams, etc. – that I’ve picked specifically for their ability to transport me to ‘other worlds’. Oftentimes I’ll ‘come back’ feeling rejuvenated. And I always have books that I’m in the midst of reading: Usually three at any given time, because my mood flits about.

Do you write about what turns you on?

Yes. I’d never be able to finish a book if I wasn’t passionate about the themes that ran through it. I have to be in love with the characters too.

 






What Casts a Shadow?

by Seth Mullins

 

 

BLURB:

 

 

A troubled young rock musician, a mystic mentor, and a generation of lost souls longing for a new voice to emerge from the wilderness...

 

When an altercation outside of a performance venue nearly proves fatal, Brandon Chane begins to realize how far his life is spinning out of control. His efforts to channel his pain, frustration and thwarted loves into his music may not suffice to save him. Then he meets Saul, a crisis counselor with the soul of an ancient medicine man, and a far-reaching journey of healing - one that may teach him how to steer away from the very edge of the abyss - begins.

 

 

 

EXCERPT

 

An Air of Pilgrimage

 

Now it was all deepening. We merged with a river born of magic, myth and the dreams of all those who’d gone before us. I turned to my right and saw some violets casting off glints of tiny light like flecks of stardust. All at once, everything in existence was being created in every moment.

 

“It’s the light that can’t be extinguished!” I shouted. “I understand now!”

 

It’s easy to say such things when you feel all of Creation communing with you; easy, too, to assume that the other people around you will understand your sense of euphoria. And yet in actual fact Tommy did shout “Yes!” from his place at the vanguard as if he knew exactly what I was talking about.

 

And just like that, our whole holy pilgrimage south flashed across my inner eyes: the distances, the pockets of heart warmth and of emptiness, the strangers met and the intimacy of the music that we’d ushered in to their stomping grounds. My imagination deified our trusty travelling van, transforming it into an ancient Egyptian Solar Boat that had borne us across the heavens of Vision so that we could spread our gospel of every human being’s Divinity.

 

 

 

AUTHOR Bio and Links:

 

Seth Mullins draws upon the great sweep of human soul-journeying to weave his tales. He's inspired by music, shamanism, dreams and the mysteries and miracles of our inner life. His greatest love as a writer is for fiction that depicts a journey towards self-awareness in the deepest sense.

 

"Probably the most valuable thing that I learned throughout my spiritual journey in this life is the importance of trusting in one's self. Many of our cultural lessons encourage us to ignore or even fear our inner reality. And yet it is this realm that really does hold the answers to all of our questions, and can point the way towards the most fulfilling life experiences possible for us." 

Mr. Mullins has lived in Maine, Connecticut, New Mexico, Oregon and Vermont. 

http://www.humanityswayforward.com
 (Humanity's Way Forward - my website) 

http://frontiersofconsciousness.blogspot.com
(The Edge of the Known by Seth Mullins - my blog)

"What Casts the Shadow?"  (The Edge of the Known) on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1rkhffS 

My Amazon author page: amazon.com/author/sethmullins 



 

 

GIVEAWAY

Prizes for the tour are as follows:

• One randomly chosen winner via rafflecopter will win a $50 Amazon/BN.com gift card.

• One randomly chosen host will receive a $25 Amazon/BN.com gift card.

 
a Rafflecopter giveaway




9 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thanks for hosting!

Seth Mullins said...

Thank you for hosting me here, Laurie :)

Angie D said...

Love the excerpt!! Can't wait to read this!!

Seth Mullins said...

Thanks so much! :) This is a place where the narrator finds himself in a pretty expanded state of mind while he and his band (and a few hangers-on who are fairly unnerved by the whole affair) are enjoying a wild night out on the foot of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. If you do end up reading I hope you enjoy it. :)

Serena91291 said...

I liked the interview, it was interesting.

Seth Mullins said...

Thank you :) Because I feel such a kinship with artistic people, I've often been inspired after reading other authors discussing their creative processes. This makes me excited about the prospect of doing interviews myself.

168d7130-34d4-11e2-91ad-000bcdcb5194 said...

Fun interview!

vitajex(at)Aol(Dot)com

Mary Preston said...

Interesting interview.

Seth Mullins said...

I may be speaking for a lot of other authors here, too - I'm not sure - but I know that, for me, the intense concentration and time that goes into writing can get me to feeling like I'm living in my own separate world at times. So connecting with other people in this way, such as in the interviews, can be really grounding. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!