Friday, November 7, 2014

Confessions of a Self-Help Writerby Benjamin W. DeHaven: Interview


 


 
Interview
 

What is the sweetest thing someone has done for you?

I don’t know if sweet is the best word, but I can’t believe how responsive and helpful friends were with the release party for Confessions of a Self-Help writer. I know it was in Vegas, and because of the setting of the book-we did it at the Hustler club, which was fascinating with the librarians from the ALA. But I couldn’t believe how many really great friends put their lives on hold to come out and support me.
 
What kind of music you like?

I love everything depending on the mood, but I constantly go back to classic rock, blues and folk, and still like old hip-hop and old country.
 
Do you like to dance?

I love to dance. My mom raised me and she insisted on a dance partner-so I learned to have a lot of fun, and I’m great to bring to weddings. I actually took dance lessons with a girlfriend who was a volleyball player and somehow was the most uncoordinated person on the planet, she quit after the second lesson, so I finished with all the grandmas in the Arthur Murray school.  In a club however “If my minds telling me no, but my body, my body’s telling me yes….” (R. Kelly)
 
Can you describe your dream home?

“A Clean Well-Lighted Place.” (Hemingway) with a secret room where I can’t be found in order to write, a pool, and a great place to entertain-a place where on occasion I stumble across Gatsby’s piano player (as long as it’s not JayZ)
 
If you could be any character, from any literary work, who would you choose to be? Why?

Jay Gatsby. One time at a wedding I gave a speech about love, I think there is actually a you tube video of it-(for lack of a get to know the author film). On the original film, my best friend whispered Gatsby when I finished the toast, and I always thought that was the biggest complement. Even though the base character is tortured and eventually pays the ultimate price for trying to impossibly prove himself to a worthless group of people. I like to think I could re-write (or re-live) the story, if I were in fact Gatsby.

 
 
 
 
Confessions of a Self-Help Writer

by Benjamin W. DeHaven

 

 

BLURB:

 

A ghost, a philanthropist, a con man, a devout Catholic, a gigolo, a savior, an heir, a common man, and an addict are just some of the words used to describe Michael Enzo, who some sources credit with ghost-writing more than 108 self-help books on behalf of celebrities, politicians and business leaders. After failing to make what he considered to be a positive impact on society he began to destroy those closest to him including Benjamin DeHaven, the author of this book, and former collaborator. Defrauding an industry for almost 20 years by exploiting people's insecurities and profiting from them, more than likely these friends contributed more to the field of self-help, while profiting from it, than they will ever know. Believing they could only understand people's problems by suffering along with them, they lived on the razor's edge. If you've ever picked up a tell-all biography of a celebrity or a title from the self-help section at the bookstore, certainly you would question the source.This is an inside look at the mind of Michael Enzo and it is the author's hope that people will start helping themselves again after reading it. Discover what turns someone from preaching salvation towards seeking its destruction. You won't believe this could be true.

 

BUY LINKS   Amazon   B&N

 

 

 

AUTHOR Bio and Links:
 

A Graduate of Columbia College in Chicago, Benjamin DeHaven keeps his heart in Chicago and his soul in New Orleans. He holds a MBA from Tulane and a film degree from Columbia. Once ejected from a community college for arguing Frost cried out for acceptance in Birches, he has since written screenplays, traded futures in Madrid, and was Editor in Chief of the Nola Shopper Newspaper, a free art newspaper and the 2nd largest monthly paper in the New Orleans, MSA. . He also has a "shout out" in a Jay "Z" Song.
 

DeHaven, who currently resides in Las Vegas began his writing career with Stone United, a Chicago based Film Company, which works primarily in independent film. As an unknown fiction writer, he feels the best description of himself, is a sarcastic one and is as follows:
 

Benjamin W. DeHaven was born on a pool table after a Waylon Jennings' concert in 1977. His personal success is outweighed only by his stunning good looks and adherence to unwritten moral guidelines. He has been described as a thinking man's Tucker Max as well as an idiot's Hunter S. Thompson. His goal is to die from an unwavering commitment to be more like Hemingway.
 

He and Michael Enzo were friends.

 







 

 

BUY LINKS   Amazon   B&N

 


GIVEAWAY

• One randomly chosen winner via rafflecopter will win a $50 Amazon/BN.com gift card.
  • 5 winners will receive signed hardcover copies of his book (US only)

• One randomly chosen host will receive a $25 Amazon/BN.com gift card.

a Rafflecopter giveaway





3 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thanks for hosting!

Rita said...

I enjoyed the interview.

Ben DeHaven said...

Thanks so much for hosting and for the great interview questions! What a great stop to wrap up the tour!