Saturday, April 19, 2014

WWIV In the Beginning by e a Lake: Interview



 


It's my pleasure to welcome author e.a. Lake.  He's touring with Worldwind Book Tours.


 
INTERVIEW

Welcome!  Thanks so much for this chance to find out more about you!How did you start your writing career?

         

          Funny, but true story here. I had always thought in the back of my mind that I should at least try and write a novel. I’ve thought that for the last 30 years I bet. About seven years ago, I had a month of recurring dreams that I just couldn’t get out of my head. Night after night; and they grew longer each night.

        When I turned 50, several years ago, one of the (three) items on my bucket list was to write a novel. Mind you, not publish a novel, but just get one down on paper. That novel, Golden 5, will be released later this year. But once I got one out, another popped into my head. And then another.

        As of this date, I have one published book and have four completed manuscripts on my computer. And I never planned on more than just writing the first one. This is just so much fun. I can’t stop myself. I bet I have 20 more book ideas noted somewhere in my journal. That’s going to keep me busy for years to come.


Tell us about your current release.

 

        WWIV – In the Beginning is a classic dystopian tale. The novel focuses on Bill Carlson, a regular, average, run of the mill father, husband, and neighbor. He awakens one morning to find all power gone, his cell phone dead and not chargeable, and his trusty Durango won’t even make a clicking sound. He soon discovers that his entire neighborhood is experiencing the same issues. And then, he finds out these loses cover his whole community as well.

        Bill’s wife and kids are 300+ miles away in Milwaukee. He desperately needs to be reunited with them. But how long should he wait for the possible return of his wife first? After 18 days he hits the road on his mountain bike, accompanied by his faithful lab Buddy. Soon he discovers the roads aren’t safe. And Milwaukee may be unobtainable. What detours will he find along the way? Will he be able to keep his helpful attitude? Or will it slip away, along with his own humanity?


When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

 

        I write a lot in the early morning hours. A whole bunch. And some all-day weekends as well. If possible, I will get up as early as 3:30 a.m. and start writing where I left off during the previous session. After going to bed the previous evening, I read for a while and then think about my current project until I fall asleep. When I wake up the next morning I find I’ve been playing the scenes over and over in my subconscious mind. That really allows for a great start to the day. When creating, I write on average two hours per day.

 

Where do you research for your books? 

        I use the Internet quite a bit. Further, I use many road maps to search for travel paths and exact locations for events in my books. Aside from that, I do a bunch of scouting to get the feel for everything I may be able to use in a particular section. Book one of the WWIV series starts in my real life neighborhood of Woodbury, MN. From there, the protagonist’s travels take him through areas I have driven for many, many years.

        Book two of the series takes place in south-central Wisconsin. Smack dab in the middle of the area where I grew up as a child. Still, I take a lot of time to scour my surroundings whenever I visit that area. It’s good for reference in the book and you never know when you’re going to run across something that’s unique for the story.


Does your significant other read your stuff?

        My wife is my number one beta-reader. I wish I could say that she’s my number one fan, but dystopian lit isn’t her normal genre for reading. Still, she’s a great resource. When I gave her the first 20 chapters of my very first manuscript, I expect her to laugh and scoff at the pages. I really anticipated a response of, “Don’t give up your day job.” Instead, she extended her hand and said, “Where’s the next 20 chapters?” I took that as a real good sign.

        Now days, my wife gets the first read of everything. I trust her opinions and honest review. If it’s good enough for her, it’s probably going to make it with the general public. She’s told me several times about things that needed changing. Whether it’s a whole idea, or a paragraph, or even just a single word – she’s usually right.

       

Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

          As my children would tell you, I’ve got lots of advice. But for beginning writers? Oh yeah, here’s some just for them.

        Write, write, and write some more. When you get stuck, keep writing. The only way you’ll ever get started is to begin putting your thoughts on paper. And then have the courage to let someone read what you’ve written. You just may be surprised at their reaction.

 

Use no more than two sentences. Why should we read your book?

 

        This book is meant to disturb the reader; but in a good way. You will be struck by the examination of humanity in terms of the lows and the highs that it fall and rise to in this crisis.  

 

Is there one passage in your book that you feel gets to the heart of your book and would encourage people to read it?  If so, can you share it?

 

        Rather early in the book, Bill Carlson, our protagonist, is alone at home. Sitting quietly on his deck with a warm beer in hand, he begins to reflect on the crisis. He comes to the following conclusion: “Surrounded by what was once everything we could ever need, we now saw just how little we all possessed.”

        I really feel that pretty well sums up the early days of WWIV 

 

Do you have a Website or Blog?
       

        Website – www.ealake.com 

        Blog – www.ealake.blogspot.com

 

ABOUT THE BOOK

What will we do when suddenly our power, our phones, and our cars don't work? What will we do when we realize our government is missing and we have no protection; no police, no national guard? What will we do when our food runs out or spoils, and fresh water becomes scarce? What will we do when we realize we are completely and undeniably on our own? What could possibly happen next? 

What happens when IT happens? 

Follow an ordinary man, Bill Carlson, through the first 30 days of the ensuing uncertainty. From his once quiet, now violent, St. Paul suburb; to the empty, and yet deadly, county roads of west central Wisconsin. 

With limited knowledge of prepping, Bill must rely on neighbors for help. Why did he never pay attention to his “crazy doomsday” neighbor Scott? Now that the world, at least his world, is dark, Bill has so many questions. How can he possibly survive in this dark dystopian world? 

Bill goes in search of his family, and finds so much more. Friendly people in small towns, other villages that allow no strangers, people searching for help, and people looking to take anything you might have – via any means. 

Will Bill find his family, some 300 miles away? Will the power come back on after mysteriously going out? Will he be able to help others in times of need, much less himself? 

WWIV has begun, and we’re only In The Beginning. 

 

PURCHASE THE BOOK


 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

EA's Website / Goodreads / Facebook / Twitter


I write dystopian. It's dark, yet fun to play with. WWIV - In The Beginning is my debut novel. Trying to get this junk in my head, down on pages. Those pages become chapters. The chapters become a manuscript. The manuscript becomes a novel. Sounds easy enough.

I am an author and my pen name is e a lake. The e and the a mean nothing. So please just call me lake.

Not everything in dystopian writing has to be dark and dreary. I try to create post -apocalyptic situations that will challenge the reader to really believe that the events in my novels could happen.

The best part of my genre? Who needs antagonists when the landscape surrounding my protagonist is so bad. You just have to love this stuff.

My favorites are the usual list of suspects. Orwell, Bradbury, Stephen King, Vince Flynn, and James Patterson.

I'm not all that scary. Father to three, grandfather to two (three in April 2014). Just a regular guy.


 

This tour was hosted by Worldwind Virtual Book Tours
 
 
 




No comments: