Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Moonglow Cafe by Deborah Garner: Interview





INTERVIEW


Welcome Deborah!  Thanks for taking time out to be here and to answer some questions for us!  Does travel play in the writing of your books?


        Yes, very much so. I did many years of travel writing before turning to fiction, so location is a huge part of how my stories evolve. I think it would be hard for me to write about places I’ve never been, though I believe I could. But Paige’s adventures take place in areas I’ve visited. And since I’ve made twelve cross-country road trips, she has quite a few more opportunities ahead of her.


Tell us about your current release.


The Moonglow Café is set in the small, fictional town of Timberton, Montana.  New York reporter Paige MacKenzie is sent to research the area’s sapphire mining, but gets sidetracked when she discovers an artist’s old diary, hidden in the wall of a historic hotel.  Being ever curious, she juggles the sapphire research with a quest to find out more about the person who kept the diary.  The town is filled with odd characters who will eventually lead her to answers.  And trouble - lots of trouble.  A sweet romance with handsome cowboy Jake Norris is intertwined with all of the above.


What was your first sale as an author?


It was an article on pot-bellied pigs, of course!  That’s what all writers’ first articles are about, right?  This was during my travel writing period and all my research was close up and personal.  No better research that sitting in a pig pen with a lapful of piglets!  It was very exciting, both getting to know the wonderful creatures and getting paid to write about them.  I believe I held onto the check for months before cashing it, just so I could pull it out and look at it.


What is the hardest part of writing your books?


Getting plots straight is absolutely the toughest part of writing for me.  The Moonglow Café was especially tricky because of the dual plot lines of sapphire mining and western art.  It would have been much easier if Paige hadn’t found the diary.  But she does what she wants to do and I have to follow along and make it work.  Stubborn, feisty character, but I do love her.


What are you passionate about these days?


I’m very passionate about animal rescue.  If I could, I’d spend every spare hour working with shelters and helping find homes for abandoned animals.  They cannot speak for themselves and we, as humans, have the capability and responsibility to be their voices.  I’ve done some transport between local shelters when there are available homes waiting, but it’s not enough.  There’s always more that needs to be done.  It can be frustrating.  Yet every time an animal finds a forever home, it’s a victory.


What would we find under your bed?


A Siberian Husky.  And fur.  Lots of fur.


If I came to visit early in the morning would you impress me as being more like a chirpy bird or a grumpy bear?


          Chirpy bird, for sure.  I annoy the heck out of people in the morning.  And I live with a grumpy bear, too.  It’s a perfect set-up for torture, really, though it can be hard chirping to someone with a pillow over his head.


Is there one passage in your book that you feel gets to the heart of your book and would encourage people to read it?  If so, can you share it?

            Yes.  There is a passage late in the book where a favorite character of mine says “It’s not necessary to know what you’re searching for in order to know you are searching.  Or to find it.  Haven’t you ever found something by chance, only to realize later you were looking for it all along?”  It applies to each character in the story, in one way or another.  And I think it applies to each of us in the non-fictional world, as well.

ABOUT THE BOOK
New York reporter Paige MacKenzie has a hidden motive when she heads to the small town of Timberton, Montana.  Assigned to research the area’s unique Yogo sapphires for the Manhattan Post, she hopes to reconnect romantically with handsome cowboy Jake Norris.  The local gem gallery offers the material needed for the article, but the discovery of an old diary, hidden inside the wall of a historic hotel, soon sends her on a detour into the underworld of art and deception.
 
Each of the town’s residents holds a key to untangling more than one long-buried secret, from the hippie chick owner of a new age café to the mute homeless man in the town park.  As the worlds of western art and sapphire mining collide, Paige finds herself juggling research, romance and danger.  With stolen sapphires and shady characters thrown into the mix, will Paige escape the consequences of her own curiosity?


Buy Link: 
MEET THE AUTHOR
Deborah Garner is an accomplished travel writer and photographer with a passion for back roads and secret hideaways. She splits her time between California and Wyoming, dragging one human and two canines along whenever possible.
Website  Twitter: @PaigeandJake
Previous  Paige MacKenzie Mystery

Purchase Above the Bridge
Available Now on Amazon:
Paperback
Kindle Edition
Available Now on Barnes & Noble:
Paperback
Nook Book


GIVEAWAY

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Post a Comment