Sunday, March 2, 2014

Swept to Sea by Heather Manning: Character Interview and Excerpt


 






Character Interview with the main character of
Swept to Sea, Lady Eden Trenton



Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

I dream of travelling to the colonies in the Caribbean, Port Royal specifically. I think that maybe my brother is there, and I long to see him and get away from London. 

Tell us about your family.

My family only really  includes my father and I right now. My dear mother passed away a few years back, and my older brother, Adam, left to make a career of sailing. We haven’t heard from him for months and I fear he is not well.

What was the scariest moment of your life?

I…I really cannot and don’t want to talk about that moment, but it is still vivid in my mind. It happened just a week or so ago. God help me, I still have nightmares.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I am not sure I believe this because it is such a far-fetched idea, but Adam tells me that I always wanted to be a sailor. I suppose this is because he used to take me down by the docks and we would watch the ships there while he told me stories about sailing.

Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

I suppose I would be called a night person. I am definitely not fond of being woken early in the morning. The more I can avoid it, the better. It does not suit me.

What would we find under your bed?

Well…I don’t think that is a very polite question to ask. I don’t think that’s much of anyone’s business.

Tell us about your favorite restaurant.

There is a really nice little place in the town of Bath run by a lady named Sally Lunn. She makes the most delicious bread, and I adored it. I would love to go back there again.

 






Lady Eden Trenton never wanted to leave her privileged existence in London—until her father invites a dangerous suitor into her life. Left with few options, Eden devises the best reprieve she can: escape. Chasing freedom, she stows away aboard a pirate ship, praying she will gain her independence in the colonies before she is discovered by the nefarious crew.


Captain Caspian Archer has spent the last five years hardening his heart and searching to exact revenge for the event that tore his life to shreds. When he catches word that his enemy is residing in Jamaica, Caspian steers his ship toward the colonies in all haste. His plans soon change, however, when he discovers the young beauty hiding in his ship’s hold.
Cut from the only lives they have known, Caspian and Eden are pulled together as each pursues a fresh hope upon the sea.

 

Excerpt

 

"Hmmmm, what have we got here?" Caspian chuckled, tossing his baldric and weapons onto an armchair rather than putting them away. "Why, I do believe that I have a beautiful young lady hiding out under my desk. Now, is that not a strange occurrence, Reed?" Caspian asked. The child giggled, his eyes sparkling in amusement. "I daresay this has not happened to me before."

Lady Trenton's face flushed to a comely pink. She clambered to her feet, but tripped on her voluminous gown.

"Blast these skirts!" She muttered. Caspian chuckled at the word “blast” coming out of those pretty pink lips.

"Shame on you, Lady Trenton. A lady such as you should not use such loose language. Surely 'tis most improper." Caspian suppressed a grin at her reaction.

Lady Trenton gave him a deadly glare. The woman ceased struggling with her skirts and tried to rise quickly. In the process, she whacked her head against the corner of his desk.

After a moment of looking dazed, she crumpled to the floor in an unconscious heap. `

Caspian immediately sobered and stooped down to take her limp form in his arms.

After a second her head jerked up and she struggled against his grasp. Caspian gently laid the woman on his bed. She moaned and curled onto her side, mumbling something incoherent.

 
AUTHOR BIO
 
Heather Manning is a young lady who loves to read--and write. She has won multiple competitions for her writing with "Nextgen Writers" and placed first in some writing contests with the "Go Teen Writers" blog and is a proud member of ACFW. She lives in Missouri where she attends high school, acts in community theatre, eats donuts and reads every Inspirational Historical Romance she can get her hands on.

She is proud to say that her first novel was professionally published while she was only 16 years old.


Blog: http://heathermauthor.blogspot.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heather-Manning-Author/140994172751360

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HeatherM_Author

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2807352.Heather_Manning

Pintrest: http://www.pinterest.com/HeatherMAuthor/
 

2 comments:

Heather Manning said...

Thanks for hosting me on your blog! :)

Sarah McBride said...

Great interview! :)