Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Life Less Ordinary by Victoria Bernadine: Tens List and Excerpt

a life less ordinary blog tour banner
 

TENS LIST


What are your 10 favorite songs?

 

This was such a tough question to answer – mainly because the list changes several times a day. It depends on my mood, and while the list I finally settled on doesn’t really reflect it, I actually listen to every genre of music.

 

Well.  I’m not a big fan of jazz or rap, and classical is okay but you can’t really dance to it.  However, I do appreciate talent when I hear it, no matter the genre.

 

But enough babbling.  My ten favourite songs, at least at this particular moment:

 

10.  Fire and Rain – James Taylor

Sometimes I just need a good, angsty, heartbreaking song to soothe my soul.  I always think of my mother when I listen to it because she passed away unexpectedly, and “I always thought that I’d see [her] again”.  I think it’s a perfect mix of beauty and sadness, and it’s extremely cathartic.

 

9.    All Summer Long – Kid Rock

I’m not angsty all the time – LOL.  This song just makes me want to get up and dance like a wild woman.  While I’ve never experienced anything even close to what the song describes (I’ve lived a sheltered life (sadly)), it makes me feel like I could. ;D

 

8.    Pinch Me – Barenaked Ladies

Surreal melancholy.  I mean, it’s a song about depression that’s got a cheerful dance beat, and funny lyrics:  “I could hide out under there; I just made you say ‘underwear’”.  (What?!)  Plus it’s the Barenaked Ladies, and I absolute adore their voices.

 

7.     50 Ways to Say Good-bye – Train

This one is just hilarious.  :D  The premise of the song isn’t very politically correct (telling people his ex-girlfriend died rather than admitting she dumped him), but honestly, how funny are the explanations he comes up with?

 

6.    Wagon Wheel – Darius Rucker

I love his voice!  And I love the sound of this song and the story it tells.  That, and it makes me want to sing along as loudly as I can (much to my cats’ dismay).

 

5.     Colder Weather – Zac Brown Band

Another beautifully melancholy song that just rips my heart out and stomps on it, and then gives me a little glimmer of hope for happiness after all. 

 

4.    Objects in the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are – Meat Loaf

It’s Meat Loaf.  It’s rock opera.  It’s heartbreaking and (melo)dramatic and passionate and vivid.  It makes me want to sing along at the top of my lungs.  Did I mention it’s Meat Loaf?

 

3.    Miami 2017 – Billy Joel

A science fiction story told in song, and there’s more world-building in those three or so minutes than some TV series manage to do in a year.  Plus it’s Billy Joel, and I think he’s magnificently talented.  Strangely, I always imagine Tony Stark/Robert Downey, Jr. whenever I listen to this song…yeah…I don’t even know.

 

2.    My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink and I Don’t Love Jesus – Jimmy Buffett

Okay, this one’s a bit of a stretch, because I adore Jimmy Buffett.  He’s my second favourite singer, and trying to pick my favourite song from him is, well, really impossible.  I finally decided on this one because look at that title.  Been there, felt that, and if I’d only known about this song during my drinking days, it would have been my theme song (“if I don’t die by Thursday, I’ll be roarin’ Friday night” – aaah.  Good times… ;D ).

 

1.     EVERYTHING.  EVERYTHING HE SINGS – Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash is my all-time favourite singer.  I can recognize his voice in three notes or less. I’ve been in love with him since I was three years old, and I totally blame him for my utter fascination with black haired men in black.  Name any song he sings, and I love it…even if I’ve never heard it before.  ;D

 

What about you and your readers?  Do we have any songs or artists in common?






Synopsis
 
 
For the last fifteen years, Rose “Manny” Mankowski has been a very good girl. She turned her back on her youthful fancies and focused on her career. But now, at the age of 45, she's questioning her choices and feeling more and more disconnected from her own life. When she's passed over for promotion and her much younger new boss implies Manny's life will never change, something snaps. In the blink of an eye, she's quit her job, sold her house and cashed in her pension, and she's leaving town on a six month road trip.
After placing a personal ad for a travelling companion, she's joined in her mid-life crisis by Zeke Powell, the cynical, satirical, most-read – and most controversial – blogger for the e-magazine, What Women Want. Zeke's true goal is to expose Manny's journey as a pitiful and desperate attempt to reclaim her lost youth – and increase his readership at the same time. Leaving it all behind for six months is just an added bonus.

Now, armed with a bagful of destinations, a fistful of maps, and an out-spoken imaginary friend named Harvey, Manny's on a quest to rediscover herself – and taking Zeke along for the ride.



Meet the Author
Victoria Bernadine (a pseudonym) is, as the saying goes, a “woman of a certain age”. After twenty-something years of writer’s block, she began writing again in 2008.

Victoria enjoys reading all genres and particularly loves writing romantic comedy and post-apocalyptic science fiction. What those two have in common is anybody's guess.

She lives in Edmonton with her two cats (The Grunt and The Runt). A Life Less Ordinary is the first novel she felt was good enough to be released into the wild.

Social Links
 
 
 
twitter button FinalWebsite buttonGoodreadsFINAL
 
 
Goodreads Button with Shadow
 
 
 
Buy the Book

Updated cover patricia feb 28 13
 
 
 
Amazon FinalAmazon UK FinalB&N FINALsmashwords button FINAL
 
 
Giveaway
 
 
 

Follow the Tour
March 24
March 25
March 26
March 27
March 28
a life less ordinary blog tour button  
Book Enthusiast Promotions
-->

1 comment:

victoriabernadine said...

Good morning! Thanks for hosting me today! Coming up with my top 10 songs was a lot of fun, even if I did wimp out with Johnny Cash (how could I chooossseeee??).