Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Jade's Peace by Melissa Stevens: Interview



 





INTERVIEW

What is the hardest part of writing your books?
The emotional stuff, sometimes the steamy scenes. Sounds odd for a romance author right? But it's true, especially the harder emotions, not the fear, but terror or shame, expressing love, other than physically, is not the easiest for me, so I sometimes have a hard time writing it.


Do you have critique partners or beta readers?
I have both, I take my books to my writing group (I love love mine, I've learned a LOT from them) and a couple of members will read it and give it a hard critique, then I send it to my beta readers, they often come up with different things than the critique readers, things like how did I get from this point to that? I often know what's supposed to be there, and don't realize I've forgotten to put that part on paper.
 
What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books?
That the characters come alive just as much while writing as they do while reading. I often will not realize what is gonna happen next until I'm typing it on the screen, and more than once I'll be working along and have a character warn me about something coming up soon that I had no plans for.


Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?
Yes, I do. Basically, it's a variation of both my names, easier, and more common, spellings of them both.
Do you listen to music while writing? If so what? Yep, loud and with a beat. Mostly rock and hard rock, Nickelback, Five Finger Death Punch, 3 Doors Down, Avenged Sevenfold.


How do you react to a bad review of your book?
First, it depends on if it's a ranking (stars, hearts, whatever) only or an actual review. With a rank, you have no clue why they gave it that rank, you have nothing to go on. I try to ignore it. With an actual review, yes, I do read all the reviews I've ever found, first I take a deep breath and try to get past the hurt, because, yes, it does hurt, then I look at what they had to say. Did they not like the characters, the story? What about it? Was it something I can fix? Was it something I care to fix? I once had someone review an erotic short story saying there was too much sex and not enough action. Um? Duh!


I try to take it as constructive criticism, but somethings, especially when it turns to a personal attack, just need to be ignored.


What would we find under your bed?

Clothes.. I have a water bed frame with a regular mattress in it... I use the under-dresser daily... Sometimes you'll find a dog though, he likes to climb under there... Let me tell you, a full grown lab does not fit under there well.




Jade’s Peace

Melissa Stevens

 
Blurb:

 

      Steve left his hometown to avoid doing something he knew he would regret. Now, ten years later, the girl he left to avoid has come looking for him, but she's not a child anymore. 

     Jade has spent the last six years haunted by memories and nightmares. At a turning point in her life, she's tired of waiting for something to change. She tracks down the only person she's ever been drawn to, a man she hasn’t seen in more than ten years. But can she convince him that their differences don't matter, that together they can both find peace?

 




Back List Buy Links: 

Change: Amazon  | B&N  |  iTunes  |  Kobo  |  Smashwords

Fight: Amazon  |  B&N  |  iTunes  |  Kobo  |  Smashwords

Hunt:  Amazon  |  B&N  |  Itunes  |  Kobo  |  Smashwords

Escape:  Amazon  |  B&N  |  iTunes  |  Kobo  |  Smashwords

Robin's Nest:  Amazon  |  B&N  |  Kobo  |  Smashwords

 

 

Author Bio: 

Melissa was born and raised in Arizona, she’s spent her entire life living across the southern half of the state. She’s found that, along with her husband and three children, she prefers the small towns and rural life to feeling packed into a city. 

She started reading at a very young age, and her love for series started early, as the first real books she remembers reading is the Boxcar Children series by Gertrude Chandler Warner. Through the years she’s found that there’s little she won’t read, and her tastes vary from westerns, to romance, to sci-fi / fantasy and Horror.

 


Smashwords  |  Amazon  |  Shelfari  |  Twitter

1 comment:

melissatstevens said...

Thanks so much for having me! Just so you know, Jade's Peace IS a paranormal, it's shapeshifters, and the short story prequel is currently free everywhere, you can find all the links on my website. http://melissastevens.us/books/white-mountain-chanat/escape/