Friday, November 15, 2013

Seed Savers: Heirloom by S. Smith: Spotlight

 





This interview is with the character Lily
 
Tell us about your family.
My family (laughs). That’s a good one. Well, as you know, there’s Ma. She’s quiet, hmm, I guess very upright, honest, you know. I never felt like we were extremely close. It’s kind of like we’re from different cultures. She still reads Japanese magazines.
 
What about your dad?
I never even knew my dad was alive until just recently—weird, huh? But already I feel like I have more of a connection. Dad was a great leader in the Seed Savers movement. He authored an underground newspaper called the Keeper. I can’t say too much more than that right now …
 
Brothers or sisters?
No.
 
What would we find under your bed?
Ha! A box full of journals and diaries. Boring stuff, let me tell ya. And before I left home I also had some seeds under there. I know, not the most brilliant place to hide illegal substances, but where else did I have? I suppose there’s also other random junk but it’s not too bad. I’m a pretty neat person. Clare’s room, on the other hand, was always out of control, even when Dante got his own space.
 
Do you play any sports?
Volleyball, soccer.
 
Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?
Oh wow. Um, my close friends know I’m not really an introvert, but other friends, less close that is, probably assume I’m an introvert because I’m alone a lot. But I’m not, not really. Truthfully, I’m somewhere in the middle.
 
Is there a piece of advice that you have received that has really stuck with you? If so, what was it?
Oh, excellent question. Just recently Ana (the older lady who was teaching Clare and me) told me not to quit writing even though my mom was always on my case about it. She said, “Lily, don’t ever stop writing. Because writing is an act of reflecting and the function of reflectors, after all, is to catch the light and shine it out.” Or something like that. Anyway, I really liked the image. And it made me feel like not only was it okay for me to want to write all the time, but that I should. That maybe someday I can do some good with my writing. Make a difference.
 
That seems like a good note on which to end the interview. Thanks, Lily.
You’re welcome.
 

 


Seed Savers takes place in a future where gardening
and saving seeds is against the law, and eating fresh produce is forgotten by a majority of the population.

In book 1, Treasure, twelve-year-olds Clare and Lily, and seven-year-old Dante, learn about gardening from an elderly woman who belongs to a secret society known as Seed Savers. Things go awry when GRIM, the government agency in control of the nation’s food, threatens to stop the children.




Release date for book 3, Heirloom is 11-12-13;

Seed Savers: Heirloom is the third book in a series.

Here are the links to the first two books:

Seed Savers: Treasure http://www.amazon.com/Seed-Savers-Treasure-ebook/dp/B008FRCAEY/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1363207090

Seed Savers: Lily http://www.amazon.com/Seed-Savers-Lily-S-Smith-ebook/dp/B00ANEVNZE/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1







S. Smith grew up on a farm with a tremendously large garden. She maintains that if you can’t taste the soil on a carrot, it’s not fresh enough. Although she now lives with her husband, children, and three cats in the city, she still manages to grow fruit and vegetables on their lot, as well as tend to three egg-laying and friendly hens. Someday, she hopes to add bees to the collection.

A licensed ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher, Ms. Smith has enjoyed teaching students from around the world.

Ms. Smith is a member of SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) and an OSU Master Gardener. She gardens and writes at her home in the beautiful and green Pacific Northwest.



Visit S. Smith’s Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/ssmith
Amazon author page: amazon.com/author/ssmith1

Next stop on tour excerpt. 
 
 
 


  
Post a Comment