Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Omega Project by Steve Alten: Guest Post and Excerpt



 
My name is Steve Alten, I am a NY Times and International best-selling author of fictional thrillers, and I am honored to be a guest on this blog. I’d like to tell you how my career as an author started, a little bit about my struggles, and some details about my new release, THE OMEGA PROJECT – a thriller I guarantee you will like and know will make you a fan of my work.
 
My career began fifteen years ago at the age of thirty-seven. Struggling to support a family of five, I decided to pen a novel I had been thinking about for years. Working late nights and on weekends at my dining room table (boy, was the wife pissed!) I wrote two pages a night and eventually finished MEG; A Novel of Deep Terror. MEG is short for Carcharodon megalodon, the 70 foot prehistoric cousin of the Great White shark. Following instructions in a book (PUBLISHING FOR DUMMIES), I sent out query letters to every agent who handled fiction. Out of sixty plus letters, I only received one positive reply from an agent who agreed to take MEG on – if I paid his editing fees. To pay for editing fees I sold my second car, a Chevy Malibu convertible my Dad had bought me when I was sixteen. On September (Friday) the 13th, 1996, I lost my general manager's job at a wholesale meat plant. Four days later my agent had a two-book, seven figure deal with Bantam Doubleday. It's been a rollercoaster ride ever since.
 
 MEG would go on to become the book of the 1996 Frankfurt book fair, where it eventually sold to more than a twenty countries. MEG hit every major best-seller list, including #19 on the New York Times list (#7 audio), and became a popular radio series in Japan. And yet, two weeks before I was to be paid on my second book  -- a 2012 Mayan Calendar story, Bantam canceled my book deal.
It was a punch in the gut, especially after the MEG hardback had sold nearly 100,000 hardbacks. I eventually lost my home and car. Turns out Bantam was being bought out by Bertlesman, and my large advance (among others) needed to come off the books. While we attempted to regain control of the second novel, I wrote The TRENCH (Meg sequel) which was published by Kensington/Pinnacle in 1999 where it also hit best-seller status. Having regained the rights to the 2012 story, I rewrote the entire novel as I had always wanted, renaming it DOMAIN. The thriller and its sequel, RESURRECTION were published by St. Martin's Press/Tor Books. Seven years later, the DOMAIN series became #1 best-sellers in Spain, Mexico, and Argentina, as well as big sellers in Germany, the U.K. and Italy, with the rights selling to more than a dozen countries. 
 
My fourth novel, GOLIATH, received rave reviews and was a big hit in Germany. It is being considered for a TV series. MEG: Primal Waters was published in the summer of 2004. A year later my seventh novel, The LOCH, hit stores -- a modern-day thriller about the Loch Ness Monster. My eighth novel, The SHELL GAME, is about the end of oil and the next 9/11 event. The book was another NY Times best-seller, but the stress of penning this real-life story affected my health, and three months after I finished the manuscript I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. My ninth novel, MEG: Hell's Aquarium, is considered to be the best of the best-selling MEG series. My  tenth -- GRIM REAPER: End of Days is a modern-day Dante’s Inferno, takes place in New York when a man-made plague strikes Manhattan. PHOBOS: Mayan Fear is my eleventh novel and debuted in October of 2011 as the third book in the Mayan 2012 series. Spoiler alert – we survive…. For now.
 
But my best novel to date is my new release, THE OMEGA PROJECT.  Barnes & Noble selected it as one of their top 4 summer fiction reads; PUBLISHERS WEEKLY calls it “an exuberant thriller.”
The story takes place in 2028, three years after the Great Die-Off when oil reserves will run dry, leading to war and mass starvation.  (FACT: Without oil, we can’t mass produce food) Five billion deaths later, mankind attempts to begin anew, devoting its remaining resources to fusion energy – a clean-burning system that requires Helium-3 to forge a stable reaction.  One problem:  He-3 only exists on our moon and Jupiter’s ocean moon -- Europa.
 
Our reluctant hero is Robert Eisenbraun (Ike to his friends) the scientist who invented GOLEM, a  super computer programmed to insure the continuance of the human race. GOLEM remotely runs drone mining operations on the moon. All goes well until the computer determines the mined He-3 isotope to be unstable and takes it upon itself to jumpstart a mission to Europa.  GOLEM designs Oceanus, an underwater habitat, and selects six men and women -- including Andria (Ike’s fiancĂ©) -- for the six year mission.
 
Has GOLEM gone rogue? Ike is charged with finding out – he will join the Omega crew on a 45-day training mission beneath the Antarctic Ice Shelf where the crew will spend the last thirty days of the prep cryogenically frozen.  The night before the Big Freeze, Ike is forced into his cryogenic pod by the men, who accuse him of working as a spy for the coal industry.
 
Time passes. Ike awakens to find Oceanus collapsing into a sea trench, the ice gone, the world changed dramatically.  Either he is still asleep, caught up in a vivid Omega dream -- or the moon was struck by an asteroid and 12 million years have passed!
 
Here’s an OMEGA PROJECT book trailer I know that you’ll enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwd-pU_fMxM&feature=youtu.be
 
If you want to email me, go to www.SteveAlten.com and click on the link on my homepage. I could just tell you my email address is Meg82159@aol.com but then you’d miss out on some cool visuals.
FINALLY – If you NEED a good laugh to ease your stress, read the eBook DOG TRAINING THE AMERICAN MALE ($4.99) by L.A. Knight. Dog Training is a comedy about the host of a women’s radio show who uses dog training techniques to domesticate her wacko live-in boyfriend, empower her listeners, and raise ratings. It’s laugh-out-loud funny, but so different from my other novels that I penned it under the pseudonym L.A. Knight. Part of the proceeds of Dog Training will support a new cancer protocol at ZapCancer.org to cure solid tumor cancers, so please purchase the novel, enjoy my excerpt, and spread the word!
 
Here’s the dog training BOOK TRAILER (pg-17): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU3CU4UernM&feature=youtu.be
THANK YOU FOR READING MY PERSONAL STORY. Please purchase THE OMEGA PROJECT or I will be forced to sell my grandchildren for scientific experiments (take it easy, it’s an old Monty Python joke.)
 
 


The Omega Project

by Steve Alten

on Tour Oct 1 - Nov 30, 2013





Book Details:

Genre: Fiction
Published by: Tor/Forge
Publication Date: August 6, 2013
Number of Pages: 336
ISBN: 0765336324
Purchase Links:



Synopsis:

In The Wizard of Oz, a runaway finds herself transplanted to a strange land, only to learn it was all a dream. In Planet of the Apes, an astronaut awakens to find himself in a strange land, only to realize he is still on Earth. The Omega Project ups the ante, and neither the hero nor the reader will know the true reality until the very last page. In 2028, twelve astronauts and a scientist are cryogenically frozen for 30 days beneath the Ross Ice Shelf to prep for a mission to Europa. Only one will awaken... 12 million years in the future!

Omega Project Trailer







When the oil stopped flowing death became a game of musical chairs. Accepting isolation over the insanity of anarchy, I remained alone in my fortress of solitude, waiting for the world’s population to drop from seven billion to just under six hundred million, knowing that if I could safeguard my chair then maybe I’d live to see a different, wiser world. Instead, I found myself quarantined against a society gone mad in every sense of the word. After sixteen months of rationing, I was forced to venture out of my prison -- and that’s when I met my new companion.





Steve Alten earned his Bachelors degree at Penn State University, a Masters Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Delaware, and a Doctorate of Education at Temple University. Struggling to support his family of five, he decided to pen a novel he had been thinking about for years. Working late nights and on weekends, he eventually finished MEG; A Novel of Deep Terror, a thriller about Carcharodon megalodon, the 70-foot prehistoric cousin of the great white shark. MEG went on to become an international best-seller, with movie rights sold. The Mayan Calendar plays a big part in his Domain series -- another international best-seller sold in the U.K. as THE MAYAN PROPHECY series. Steve's other work includes The LOCH -- a modern-day thriller about the Loch Ness Monster, The SHELL GAME -- about the end of oil and the next 9/11 event, and GRIM REAPER: End of Days -- a modern-day Dante’s Inferno which takes place in New York when a man-made plague strikes Manhattan. His best work yet, THE OMEGA PROJECT – was released in August 2013. As an author, Steve has two goals. First, to continue to work hard to become a better storyteller and create exciting page turning thrillers. Second, to remain accessible to his readers. Steve reads and answers all e-mails, uses the names and descriptions of his loyal fans as characters in all his novels, and even hires readers as editors, depending on their particular expertise.


Catch Up With the Author:

 





Tour Participants:






Post a Comment