Thursday, October 10, 2013

Journey of the Magi by Barbara Edwards: Interview and Review

 


 






Welcome Barbara. Thanks for being my guest here and agreeing to answer some questions. :) What did you want to be when you grew up?

I dreamed of being an astronaut long before Star Trek became popular. I read tons of science fiction by Asimov, Crichton and others. It was a wonderful dream and I think being an author have given me the ability to explore unknown territory.

 

Where do you dream of traveling and why?

I am going to Alaska, really. The trip will probably take us over four months to drive from Connecticut and to return. This trip has been a long-time wish and my husband and I decided it’s time. My daughter and grand-daughters lived in Fairbanks and I want to see it.

 

Does travel take place in your stories?

My first two books, historical romances, involved places I visited while traveling in Kansas and New York. My paranormal romances are set in New England where I grew up. I love the location although I had to create Rhodes End to make it the place I wanted.

 

Journey of the Magi, my current release, moves from California to Minnesota to Connecticut.

 

The heroine is taking her children to her childhood home for Christmas despite a junker of a car, no money, and a blizzard.

 

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

I like to write in the early morning when I have tons of energy and I can tap into the ideas I dreamed about the night before. I write from after breakfast to past lunch. Sometimes I’m so involved I miss lunch. Which can be a good thing.


What is the hardest part of writing your books?

Keeping focused on the plot is hardest. My characters tend to drag me off in another direction and then I have to decide if I need to go back or follow the flow.

 
What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?
My husband has never read my books although as a former police officer he has given me a vast amount of information on procedure. My sons have read them and recommended them to their friends. My daughters-in-law say they can’t get my voice out their head when they try and they feel weird. They are hoping this holiday romance will be easier.

 

You are writing a series. What is it about?

Ah, you asked about my paranormal romances set in the New England town of Rhodes End. Rhodes End is located on a confluence of magnetic ley lines that draws magic and paranormal activity. Rhodes End dog-legs the Northeastern corner of Connecticut, the hip pressing against Massachusetts while the paw scratches into Rhode Island.

 

Who is your publisher?

The Wild Rose Press is the publisher of Journey of the Magi and My Rhodes End Paranormal romance series. I love them to pieces. They are professional, supportive and help with promotion.
 
 

 

Widow Noel Martin never breaks promises, and she promised her kids they’d have Christmas at her childhood home in Connecticut. But driving across country takes money. Noel is broke when a snowstorm blows them into a tiny Minnesota café owned by a man who can change her mind. She accepts his offer of a job. Despite her attraction to him, she makes it clear she is only temporary help.

Dan Longstreet isn’t adopting any more strays, but he needs a waitress. Dan works so hard to make his café a success, he doesn't have time for love. Though Noel’s slender blonde beauty stuns him and her two adorable children tug at his heart, he denies how they threaten to change his life.

When tragedy strikes, their new-found love is the first victim. Noel can't stay and Dan can't leave. Will their journey be the gift that reunites them?

 
 
4 Stars
I enjoyed reading this touching story of two lonely people meeting at an inconvenient time. It is a simple story that is easy to read; the perfect afternoon escape for the upcoming holiday season. Bad luck and tough times hang over Noel like a menacing black cloud, but she has her mind firmly on her goal and is determined not to break her promise.  I admired her gumption and steely resolve even as I berated her in my mind for missing the forest for all the trees. Fate generally has a way of getting in the final word, though, and I was pleased to find out that two unbidden, unselfish acts returned a greater unexpected blessing that could not have otherwise have been foreseen.  This story left me smiling and feeling like cheering.
This book was given to me by the author in exchange for my honest review.
Reviewed by Laurie-J
 
Journey of the Magi is available here: http://amzn.com/B00ES5DZEQ  
#Kindle #FREE DAYS October 7 to October 12
 


 


I’m Barbara Edwards and a native New Englander. I’m a graduate of the University of Hartford with a Master’s degree in Public Administration. I write poetry for myself and novels when I need to tell a longer tale. I’m fascinated by the past so naturally turned to writing historical romance. The dark paranormal stories evolve from nightmares. The romance comes from my belief in people’s basic goodness and longing for love.
        I lived in Florida for several years and am past president of the Central Florida Romance Writers and a member of Romance Writers of America.
        When I returned to Connecticut, I founded the Charter Oak Romance Writers, a Chapter of Romance Writers of America, along with several close friends.
        My husband is a retired Police Sergeant. We share an interest Civil War re-enacting and travel the Eastern states to participate in events. I love visiting museums, galleries and battle sites, gathering information for my stories.
        I taught Romance Writing at Manchester Community college for three years.
        I’m fond of gardening and growing antique roses with limited success.
        Most of my exercise is when my Belgian Shepherd, Dixie, demands a walk.
Socialize and Connect!
 
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A
Facebook like page
 

 
Enter for a chance to win a $20 for The Wild Rose Press

 


 
 
 

5 comments:

Barbara Edwards said...

Good morning, Laurie. Thank you from having me as a guest and for the wonderful review. I'm glad you like Journey of the Magi.

Melissa Keir said...

What a great sounding series. Thanks for the review, it made me want to read more about the book!

Diane Burton said...

Great interview. I learned so much more about you, Barbara. I just finished The Journey of the Magi and LOVED it. What a heart-warming story.

desiree reilly said...

great books do you have swag of the books you write i like to get some i collect it

Jane Ritz said...

I so wanted to enter this. I'm out of twitter follows. This book sounds wonder. Maybe a miracle. I do have 1 entry.