Thursday, August 8, 2013

Trusted by Taylor L. Stimac: Interview and Excerpt

 





How did you start your writing career?

I started writing when I was a kid; I was always coming up with some crazy story or poem. As a teenager, I wrote quite a bit, but when college essays came around the love of writing kind of got sucked out of me. It wasn't until last year that I really started writing again for enjoyment. I began researching the writing community and made the bold leap to get my book out there. It all started as a culmination of an answered prayer, inspiration from my kiddo, and the undying encouragement of my husband. :)
 

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

I am not a morning person AT ALL, therefore I write after everyone is tucked snugly in bed. I'll generally start writing about midnight and go until 3 or 4 in the morning.

 

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

My husband has been so encouraging through all of this. I have doubted my ability countless times and he has always been there to build me back up. My family has also been so, so supportive of this venture. I was nervous about letting everyone read my book, but thankfully they have all been positive about it.

 

Do you have critique partners or beta readers?

Oh yes! I met some wonderful ladies on Goodreads that have held my hand every step of the way. Without them, there is no way I would have had the courage to put Trusted out there.

 

Plotter or Pantser? Why?

Um, both? Is that possible? Lol  I generally plot out the huge events and then pants the rest of the time. I'll occasionally glance back at my notes to make sure I haven't gotten too far off track.

 

What would you consider to be the best book you have ever read?

Hands down, the Bible. It is the only book that I can read over and over and have it speak to me in a different way each time.

 

Describe what it’s like to be an author in three words.

So. Completely. Amazing. :)

 



When fifteen year old Tegan Summers catches the eye of local radio personality Rake Johnson, she finally feels like a normal teenage girl. Everything about their relationship feels perfect, except for the unexplained presence that makes her believe she should stay away.
          On the same day she meets Rake, another man makes his way into her life: Officer Damien Sanders. His mysterious and often intense warnings urge Tegan to trust him and to end her relationship with Rake. As she works to uncover Damien's motive, she begins to realize that he may end up playing a vital role in her future. Discover what Tegan must do in TRUSTED, the debut novel by author Taylor L. Stimac.
          Would you trust a stranger?
 
Trusted is available exclusively on Amazon
 
 
 


As I walked over to turn off the radio, I stopped dead in my tracks. Just above my closet door, I spotted it; a black shadowy figure crept slowly down my wall. All of the air raced from my lungs as my heart thudded loudly. Frozen with fear, I watched as the elusive presence laggardly made it's way to where I was standing. I wanted to bolt for the door, screaming like a child for my Mommy, but I couldn't move. My feet seemed glued to that very spot. An icy chill crawled up my spine and the words “stay away” tickled my ears. A huge lump rose in my throat as my entire body tightened with fright.

            I felt the tears well up in my eyes, brimming over to escape left and right. I was stuck there, held captive by this evil shadow. This kind of thing only happens in movies, I kept repeating in my head. It was real though; more concrete than anything I had ever experienced. Finally, as if deciding it had made it's point, the presence released me from it's grip and I collapsed to the floor, sobbing.

            I heard the footsteps of my mom rushing towards my bedroom door, but I just laid there, unable to move.

            “Tegan! Oh my goodness, what happened to you? Are you okay? What is it??”

            Hyperventilating, I mouthed the words “ghosts, demon, in, here.”

            “What are you talking about, Tegan?? There's no such thing as ghosts.” I could tell by her expression that she was trying to convince herself.

            “Richard, get in here!” she yelled.

            “What, what's going on?” Dad answered.

            “She thinks there's some kind of ghost in here,” Mom replied.

            “Ghost? Really? You've got to be kidding me,” he said as he approached the doorway. Dad always had a way of diffusing any situation, no matter how dramatic.

            “For the love of butter. This is ridiculous,” he said. “Get her some water Jeanette. Tegan, get up and quit your blubbering.”

            “Dddad, I know what I saw,” I managed to get out. “There was a creepy dark shadowy thing and it came at me. It said stay away.”

            “Well, did you stay away from it?” he asked, trying to lighten the mood.

            Angry at not being taken seriously, I yelled at him. “Dad, I'm not making this up!”

            Mom came back with a glass of water and we all had a seat on my bed. I cuddled up in my mom's lap, knowing that there, I was safe. After a few minutes, the tears subsided and I had calmed down enough to breathe steadily again.


   
   
 
 


About the Author: Taylor L. Stimac is a Young Adult novelist with a passion for storytelling. She graduated from East Central University in Ada, OK with a Master’s degree in Educational Technology. She’s been an English teacher since 2010 but has since found that her passion lies in writing prose rather than teaching it. When she’s not writing, Taylor enjoys painting, listening to music, and crafting. She resides in Arkansas with her husband and daughter.

 

Book(s): Trusted: The First Book in The Trusted Series

 


Twitter @AuthorTLStimac

Facebook Author Taylor L. Stimac 

Goodreads Taylor L. Stimac 


 

Trusted is available exclusively on Amazon


 

 

No comments: