Sunday, August 4, 2013

Concealed in the Shadows by Gabrielle Arrowsmith: Character Interview


 




Character Interview with Sydney Harter


Where do you dream of traveling to and why?
 
I know it’s impossible, but I dream of traveling to Yellowstone since it has been a nature preserve since before the 19th  century and no human has set foot there for the last eighteen years (since the 2015 population bill). I would love to experience the serenity of its rivers, lakes, canyons, mountains, springs, and geysers. Maybe someday, if travel between the counties of one’s region is allowed, my dream would be to travel to another region of the nation, or another country! 
 

 
Tell us about your family.
 
 
My only family is my younger sister Evvie. Despite the adversity she has faced, she is quite like the average teenager, only smarter and sweeter. I miss her very much, and hope that we can be together again soon.

 
 

What was the scariest moment of your life?
 
I’ve had a number of difficult and frightening moments in my life, but I try to look past them. It’s easier for me to focus on the future - on finding more happiness for my sister and I - if I forget the past. 


What group did you hang out with in high school?

I’ve always had difficulty making friends. It’s not that people dislike me, there just isn’t much that attracts anyone to me. I don’t spend time on the EduWeb social interfaces or on my TabFile. My peers find me far too serious. I don’t understand them either. I don’t understand how they can be comfortable with the confines of our nation. I’m not part of any social group. 


 
If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?

I’ve never been very good at apologies but, given an extra chance, I might apologize to my mother. I secretly led and provided for our family for years because of her mental illness. Although disappointment and even hatred fro her had been brewing, I never wanted her to be taken away. I would tell her that I was sorry that my mistake had her taken away to a place where she was unhappy enough to take her own life.



What would we find under your bed?


My pack. I have in it the provisions that I would need to help me survive in the uninhabited land if I ever needed to escape… you know, if our nation was attacked or otherwise suddenly involved in the conflicts of the world (lying – Syndey escapes the boundaries of her county all the time. She is prepared in case she needs to escape the perils of her own nation, not another). 

 
 


Concealed in the Shadows 
by Gabrielle Arrowsmith 
(YA Dystopian)
Published by Clean Teen Publishing
Release Date: May 17, 2013
 
 

Picture

 
Sydney Harter has long awaited September 12th, 2033—her eighteenth birthday. She can finally apply for guardianship of her sister, who is her only family and entire world. She hopes they will be lawfully reunited, but is prepared to defy authority and risk everything to escape the captivity of Miles County so that they can be together.

Escaping will be difficult and dangerous. Citizens are bound to their county by sophisticated chip implants that deliver shocks to those who dare to cross the electric barrier. Sydney is very clever, but her trickery is limited against the all-seeing eyes of technology. Even if they were to survive the escape, disappearing into the forgotten forests and towns of the past seems an impossible task.

What Sydney doesn't know is that she is the particular interest of two opposing forces. With deceit, fear, and warfare surrounding her—can she trust the party that aims to help with her fight against the other? Can she open her heart to receive and return unexpected love? When her sister’s life becomes jeopardized, Sydney will have to weigh a new love against the only enduring love she has known. The cost could be deadly…




 
 
 

Gabrielle Arrowsmith




 

Gabrielle Arrowsmith was born  to her loving mother, father, and older brother on August
16th, 1988.  She grew up in the small town of Ham Lake, MN enjoying  reading, writing, playing soccer, acting in school plays, playing piano, and adventures with her brother and cousins.

Gabrielle's high school years were very well-rounded and challenged her time management skills. She studied diligently, enabling her to graduate near the top of her class and earn an AP Scholar with Distinction recognition for her success in college-level courses and exams. She was seen as a leader in both the National Honor Society where she was elected vice president and on her soccer and track teams which each appointed her as captain. Between soccer and track seasons, Gabrielle acted in enough school theater productions to be inducted into the Thespian Society. During her senior year, she earned the Triple A award for performance in academics, athletics, and arts.

From  2006-2009 Gabrielle attended the College of St. Scholastica in Duluth, MN  where she earned a degree in Elementary Education. She played collegiate  soccer for the Saints, held two work-study positions, acted in three  theater productions and volunteered often. She was on the Dean's List every semester and graduated summa cum laude. 

Since 2009, Gabrielle has enjoyed teaching third through sixth graders in  various school settings. She has recently transitioned to substitute teaching in order to pursue her passion for storytelling through both  writing and acting. She also continues to enjoy playing and  coaching soccer.

Author Links:





 

1 comment:

Gabrielle Arrowsmith said...

Thanks for hosting the character interview, book blurb, and my author bio on your blog, Laurie. I appreciate that you've introduced me to your followers. :) I invite everyone to connect with me on facebook and/or goodreads!