Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Finding Claire Fletcher by Lisa Regan: Interview

 
 
 


 
 
Tell us a bit about your family. I am married and have a five year old daughter.  My husband and I come from huge families—his Italian and German and mine Irish.  Lots of cousins and aunts and uncles.  There is never a dull moment.

What is your favorite quality about yourself? My dogged determination.

What is your least favorite quality about yourself? My inability to concentrate!

How has your upbringing influenced your writing? Coming from a divorced family, I had to navigate a lot of unusual situations and some strange family dynamics.  I think that gave me a lot of insight into people and what motivates them.  It’s great for character development.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? I don’t really know.  I just remember I wanted to be an astronaut and I was always writing poems about becoming one and I realized that I should just write instead!

What genre are you most comfortable writing? Crime fiction.

What inspired you to write your first book? The Jacob Wetterling case in Minnesota.  Jacob was the same age as me when he was abducted by a masked gunman.  I remember the news coverage of his disappearance and the feeling like wow, that could be me.  It was very scary.  I never stopped wondering what happened to him.

Who or what influenced your writing once you began? My very early influences were Dean Koontz, Tami Hoag and Lisa Jackson. Other crime authors that I aspire to be like in some way are Karin Slaughter, Gillian Flynn, Gregg Hurwitz, Greg Iles, John Hart, Dennis Lehane.

Can you tell us about your main character? Well Claire Fletcher was a regular old 15 year old girl on her way to school one day when a man knocked her out and abducted her.  When we meet her, she’s been his captive for ten years.  At this point she has some freedom, but she is still very much under the control of her captor.  She has resigned herself to her ugly fate, but there is a part of her that still yearns for freedom.  That last little sliver of the old Claire Fletcher is buried deep though, and it’s a tough journey for her to reach down and capture it.

Why did you choose to write this particular book? Well I’ve been completely obsessed with the Jacob Wetterling case since I was eleven years old.  He was an eleven year old boy who was abducted at gunpoint in Minnesota in 1989.  His mother has never lost hope that he is alive and will one day return home.  Around that same time, a TV miniseries called “I Know My First Name Is Stephen” came out and it was about Stephen Stayner, an abducted boy who returned to his family after several years missing.  It was really very eye-opening for me, this idea that some of these kids were alive and out there somewhere. I just kept wondering what happens to them all those years that they’re away from their families?  I always wondered what would it be like if you ran into someone and later found out they were a formerly abducted child?  That was the premise of my book, really.  So it grew out of an almost lifelong obsession with missing children and what happens to them if they’re actually out there alive somewhere.

What was the hardest part about writing this book? It was definitely all the scenes where Claire is tortured and abused by her abductor.  It was very difficult to write those scenes but I thought it was very important to focus on the violence so that people might understand how hard it is for real life children in her situation to escape or to put down their fear and terror long enough to attempt escape.
 
 
 
 
Buy Now @ Amazon & Smashwords
Genre – Psychological Thriller / Crime Fiction
Rating – R
 Newly divorced and with his career in jeopardy, Detective Connor Parks takes solace in the arms of a beautiful woman he meets at a bar. The next morning, Claire Fletcher is gone, leaving nothing behind but an address and a decade-old mystery. The address leads to the Fletcher family home where Claire's siblings inform Connor that their fifteen-year-old sister was abducted from a city street ten years ago and is presumed dead. During those ten years, Claire endured the cruel torture and depravity of the man who abducted her. Paralyzed by fear and too ashamed to return to her family, Claire is resigned to her life as Lynn, the identity her abductor forced upon her. Every time she attempts escape or betrays him in the smallest way, someone dies. Even now, her clandestine run-in with Connor Parks may have put his life at risk, as well as the lives of her family. Connor is convinced that not only is Claire Fletcher alive, but that she is also the woman he met at the bar. Driven to see her again, he begins his own investigation, off the clock and without the police department's consent. He is determined to find her and unravel the mystery of her abduction and odd reemergence. But finding Claire Fletcher proves more dangerous than he anticipates. In fact, it may be deadly.
 
 


Lisa Regan is a suspense novelist. She has a Bachelor's Degree in English and Master of Education Degree from Bloomsburg University. She is a member of Sisters In Crime and Pennwriters. She lives in Philadelphia with her husband and daughter. Her first novel, Finding Claire Fletcher was recently nominated for the eFestival of Words Best of the Independent eBook Awards in three categories: Best Novel, Best Thriller and Best Heroine for Claire Fletcher.

 
 
Connect with Lisa Regan on Facebook & Twitter
 
 
 

 


1 comment:

Lisa Regan said...

Thank you so much for hosting me! :)