Tuesday, May 14, 2013

When It's Least Expected by Heather Van Fleet: Character Interview



 







Character Interview with Mason from When It’s Least Expected



Heather: *drinks a big heaping gulp of coffee because hey – it’s Mason Daniel – she needs as much caffeine as she can get to keep up with this boy*

 

Hey Mason, thanks for sitting down with me to have this little heart to heart. I know how busy things are for you right now.


Mason: *nods and smirks as he kicks his flip flops off in the middle of her floor and sits on her couch like he owns it* Hell, things are always busy for me with little beast in my life. *waggles brows suggestively*

 

Heather: *shakes head and rolls eyes* How are things going with you two by the way? You’ve been awfully quiet lately…

 

Mason: *grins so wide his ‘lickable’ dimple, as Harley would call it, is in full force* Oh, well, things are . . . you know, more than great actually. I’ve been quiet for a reason though you know. Not all of my good times with Harley are under your watch. *winks, and then reaches down to text on his cell*

 

She says hi by the way. *sticks phone back into his board shorts*

 

Heather: Well, give her my love and tell her that her brother and Abigail are in good hands with me.

 

Mason: *frowns, turning all serious* Good to know. They are the two people she worries most about in this world.

 

Heather: *Smiles sadly at him* Yeah, I know she does, and I love her for that. But hey, let’s get down to business here, okay?

 

Mason: *grins once more* Oh yeah? Define business here Ms. Van Fleet?

 

Heather: *shoves his shoulder with her fist* Get your head out of the gutter, would you?

 

Mason: *throws his hands in the air and shrugs* Sorry, it’s never going to leave the gutter. Didn’t you know I pay rent there?

 

Heather *clears throat out of big time annoyance. Told you she’d need lots of caffeine for this* Okay, so tell the readers out there what you wanted to do as a child growing up?


Mason: Simple. I wanted to surf. Now bring on the big questions here. I’m ready. *sits back into his seat, laying his bare feet on her couch with that stupid grin splayed out on his face once more*

 

Heather: Right, I should have known. *rolls eyes* Anyways, you asked for it, so here it goes… If you could apologize to someone in your past for something you’ve done, then who would it be?


Mason: *loses smirk and sits up, rubbing a hand down the front of his face* Christ Heather, you’re pulling out the heavy stuff aren’t you? 

 

Heather: *shrugs* Yup.

 

Mason: Okay, fine, *interlocks hands, tucks them under his chin, leaning his elbows on to his knees* I’d apologize to my dad. I’d tell him I was sorry for not being there for him on the day that he died. He was my best friend, and the only guy out there who’s really ever understood me. I was stupid, and I was selfish that day. And I love him and miss him so much still sometimes that I can barely breathe. But now, with Harley in my life, I’ve learned how to finally forgive myself just a little bit for that day...

 

Heather: *Sighs dreamily. She loves this emotional side of Mason*

 

Mason: So – have you had enough fun yet? Ready to bypass the wussy crap and get to the questions about what I’m wearing and how sexy I’m looking right now? *winks*

 

Heather: *rolls eyes again. Yep – she’s lost all her love for him once more* Mason, you are eighteen years old. Why in the hell would I think you’re sexy?

 

Mason: Cuz’ you’re an author, and you can legally crush on young studs like myself and get by with it without being considered a sick-o.

 

Heather: You haven’t changed a damn bit in the three months we’ve been apart, have you?

 

Mason: Nope, not with you. Besides – you missed the hell out of me. Admit it. *leans back and nudges me in the leg with his foot*

 

Heather: You are ridiculously exasperating, you know that, right?

 

Mason: Ooo – pulling out the big words, eh?

 

Heather: *drinks more coffee in a mad rush to keep going on. Crap. Her cup is empty* Okay, one more sensitive question and then we can get to the goods. What were you thinking the first time you kissed Harley in her room – when you ravished that poor girl on her bed? Especially when you just wanted to be friends and nothing more as it was…

 

Mason: *feigns innocence, pushing his palm over his chest* Me? Ravish Harley? Um, are you

really sure that I was alone in that scenario? I mean you were there, you saw how she was all

snuggled up on me sleeping and stuff. . .

 

Heather: Quit stalling here. You’re really bad at that. Besides, you said it best when

you so eloquently stated that I wasn’t always in your head anyways.

 

Mason: *quirks his lips in a slow, Mason like grin* I wasn’t stalling. I’m just a guy who likes the

to include all the details, and that night was jammed packed full of them. You know that better

than anyone…

 

Heather: *closes eyes, chanting the internal mantra: I will make it through this conversation. I

will make it through this conversation.*

                                                                                      

Mason: *laughs* You okay over there, Heather?

 

Heather: *nods* Yep, I’m good. . . not really

 

Mason: Okay, fine. I’ll answer, *runs his hand through his now very long, almost whited

Out hair* I was thinking about puppies and kittens, okay?

 

Heather: *shakes head and giggles* No you were not.  Seriously?

 

Mason: *purses lips and crosses arms over his chest in pouty fashion as he sits back again* Yes.

I was. Because if I thought about how awesome it felt to kiss her, and have her under me like

that, then I would have done all sorts of things to her body. And then we wouldn’t be where we

are now. Oh – and her brother would have walked in and kicked my ass too.

 

Heather: *nods* yep, he would have. Good thing you have some self-control, huh? He still

doesn’t like you very much, you know.

 

Mason: *scowls* Yeah, I know. But I’m working on that, alright?

 

Heather: *holds hands out in defense* Fine, sorry, whatever. I’m just telling you how it is.

 

Mason: *frowns and nods*

 

Heather: Okay, so rapid fire, Mason Daniel question time here. Are you ready?

 

Mason: *quirks one brow* Bring it.

 

Heather: Morning Person? Or Night Person? Why?

 

Mason: Night. It’s sexier.

 

Heather: *drops hands into lap and growls at Mason* Does everything have to be about sex

with you?

 

Mason: *Nods with a giant, a-dork-able smirk*

 

Heather: *grins and sighs* Fine. What would we find under your bed?

 

Mason: All of Harley bras and underwear that I like to play hide-n-seek with after we –

 

Heather: *shakes head and puts up her hand* Ugh, Mason, stay PG here pal...

 

Mason: *Smiles slyly* Fine, but PG is so boring… Probably some gum wrappers, food that I sneak into bed when Harley’s asleep, and the latest issue of Sports Illustrated.

 

Heather: Better. Okay, so tell us, what makes you happy?


Mason: My little beast and my waves.

 

Heather: Fair enough. What one word best describes you?

 

Mason: Sexy Bastard.

 

Heather: That’s two words, Mason!

 

Mason: Hey, what can I say? I don’t like rules...

 

Heather: Yeah, I know that. . . So, tell the girls out there . . . boxers or Briefs?

 

Mason: *winks* neither.

 

Heather: *blows out an annoyed breath and shakes head* Last one here. Is there a piece of advice that you have received that has really stuck with you? If so, what was it?

 

Mason: Really, that’s what you’re going to end this interview with – on that serious emotional stuff again?

 

Heather: *narrows eyes*

 

Mason: Fine, sorry. Okay, probably my grandfather’s advice about holding on to the ones you love and never letting them go. There will never be a piece of that advice that I won’t abide to now.

 

Heather: *smiles huge at the surfer boy who will always have her fictional heart* Thank you Mason, for being here. I can’t wait for all the good things to come for you and Harley.

 

Mason: Oh Heather, *winks as he throws his hands behind his head* you have no idea what’s about to go down, do you?

 

Heather: *eyes widen* Oh crap…
 
 
 
 
When It’s Least Expected
By Heather Van Fleet
 
 
Moving on after a tragedy can be impossible – especially when you’ve been dealing with those tragedies for over two years. But it’s her senior year, and Harley Anderson is more than ready to do just that, even though the skeletons in her closet can’t exactly be hidden.
Enter Mason Daniel, the egotistical, sexy, surfer boy from California – a boy with his own hidden demons, and even bigger secret agenda.
Mason isn’t right for Harley. He knows this better than anyone. He’s the epitome of a runner–a guy who takes what he can get, only to split a short while later. But he can’t deny the emotions that Harley brings out of him, so he’s going to break his rules for once.
He should have known what it would lead to… Two kindred souls – both lost and then found. Will they fail, once again, in their search for contentment and happiness, or will they finally find true love, when it’s least expected?
 
 
About the Author:
Heather Van Fleet currently resides in northern Illinois, with her three daughters, Kelsey, Emma, and Isabella, and her fabulous hubby (and high school sweetheart) Chris, with whom she’s been blissfully married to now for ten plus years. She’s a stay at home mom by day, and an avid and completely obsessive writer and reader by night.
 
 
 

 
Post a Comment