Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Tainted Waters by Maggie Thom: Interview: Orangeberry Tour Stop

 


 
What is your favorite quote, by whom, and why? ‘Never look back unless you are planning to go that way’. Henry David Thoreau
I love this quote because it reminds me that to reach my dreams and to live the life I want to live, I need to be focussed on moving forward. That I will make mistakes and I have a choice to sit and stress about them and dwell on them or I can learn from them and use them to keep me moving forward.
What are you most proud of accomplishing so far in your life? Besides my family, for me I’d have to say where I’m at in life. Publishing my first novel, which took a long time and meant climbing over a lot of fear and overcoming a lot of limiting beliefs about myself.
What is your favorite color? I have several but green is my most favorite, especially blue green colors – teal, jade.
What’s your favorite place in the entire world? To sit beside or hike alongside a flowing stream, creek or river, preferably near waterfalls. I love going to the Rocky Mountains and exploring nature there.
How has your upbringing influenced your writing? I think the freedom I had growing up. My siblings and I were always out hiking in nature, exploring and having wonderful adventures. I think that curiosity and love of exploring and trying something new all played into how I write and what I write about.
Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? No idea really. I loved to read and so did most of my family. I think it was curiosity to see if I could write something that I’d like to read. I’m quite sure though it didn’t come from my English class in high school, I always felt lost and 4 pages behind everyone else. :)Although I did run into my English teacher several years ago and told her I was writing, she was thrilled.
What inspires you to write and why? Everything. Everything that I see, hear, taste, smell, touch, triggers or can when I let it, a whole raft of ideas and scenes and story lines. Sometimes I just play with them for fun but other times I really like where it’s going and need to put it down on paper. Sometimes I just write to get some ideas out so that new ones will come in :). Sometimes it is just a great way to pass the time. If I don’t have a book that I’m enjoying at the moment or I feel like doing something else, I write.
What genre are you most comfortable writing? I’d have to say suspense. I love reading it and have learned how to write it. I love crafting this tangled web that doesn’t unwind until you reach the end of the story.
What do you consider the most challenging about writing a novel, or about writing in general? Sometimes it’s just getting my butt in the chair to write and not be distracted by a hundred other things. It is sometimes very challenging just to sit down and do it. Beyond the writing, which in itself isn’t all that challenging, it’s the editing and the marketing and finding the balance to do all of it.
Why did you choose to write this particular book? I’ve always been fascinated by people who have a cabin at the lake and who go there every weekend over the summer. I’m not one of those people although there are a few lakes that I like to go to swim and/or camp. Once though we went to a lake that was little more than a slough but it got me to thinking about all the sinister things that could go on at a lake that was remote and didn’t have much traffic to it. So if it was an out of the way place, who might go there, what might they be hiding, what might they use the area for?



Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – Suspense
Rating – PG13



He didn’t commit suicide but who’s going to believe her…

Frustrated at being fired from her latest job and overwhelmed by her consolatory family, Sam decides to move to the family’s cabin at the lake. A place she hasn’t been since her dad committed suicide there twenty years before. Or did he? Snooping is something she’s good at but someone seems to be taking offence to her looking too closely at what has been happening at the lake. What she discovers is shocking. Now she must uncover what’s real and what’s not.

All that she learned growing up, may be false. Keegan, who has recently moved to the area, to finish his latest book is also trying to find out if his grandfather, who’d passed away ten years before, died of natural causes or was murdered? The descendants of the four families who own the land around the lagoon are dying off. Since Sam and Keegan are the only ones questioning the deaths, they find themselves working together to seek the truth.

Are people being murdered? Who would benefit from their deaths? Why would there be barricades and armed guards at the north end of the lake? To stay alive, Sam and Keegan must find the answers and convince others, before more people are killed… including them.

 




Maggie Thom was born and raised in rural Alberta. She made the hard decision to leave her successful, twenty year career in management, to write full time. The leap was easy, the freefall was adventurous and very enlightening. Give her five free minutes and you'll find her busy scribbling down ideas. She lives in the real world but loves to get lost in the lives of her characters - who live, love and laugh and are all figments of her imagination. She is thrilled to release her first novel - Captured Lies - filled with suspense, murder, mystery and romance - available October 2012. She is busy writing her second novel, Tainted Waters, to be released, spring of 2013.
 
Connect with Maggie Thom on Facebook & Twitter
 


 


No comments: