Sunday, May 5, 2013

Save My Soul by Elley Arden:Interview and Excerpt:RABT Tour Stop


 




Welcome Elley!   I'm so happy you're visiting my blog today.  I've been looking forward to finding out a little about you and your book. (Which has a most beautiful cover, imo  :) )  So, to start...Are the names of the characters in your novels important?  How and why? Yes! Names are very important, and I learned that the hard way. TWICE I’ve had to change names because I named characters after people I know. The first time was inadvertent and almost psychic. I was finished with the first draft of my upcoming title Crashing the Congressman’s Wedding when my son came home and told me he asked someone to homecoming. Imagine my surprise when the girl’s name—first and last—was the exact name of my heroine! The second time, I was halfway through a manuscript when I realized I named the hero and heroine after a couple my husband and I hung out with when we were newly married. *face palm* Needless to say, I pay much closer attention to names now.


Tell us about your favorite restaurant.

My favorite restaurant is a little bistro off the beaten path in Pittsburgh. The chef, Gloria, creates food that is literally art. (The dessert chef does, too.) What I love most about this tiny place, where I can bring my own wine, is the ambience. It’s sort of Shabby Chic with a very urban, but earthy feel. I’ve included a picture of the reception table.
 
 

 
Tell us about the absolute BEST fan letter you have received.

Writing gets lonely and writers become very doubtful of their work. I received an email in the middle of a particularly rough day where the writer had just finished reading Save My Soul. She wanted me to know that she enjoyed it and hoped to one day find a love like Jordon and Maggie shared. We exchanged a few emails, and she eventually wrote these words after I told her I was having a rough day, and her email meant the world to me: “Please don’t ever give up or doubt yourself. For those of us who weren’t strong enough to follow our dreams, you are an inspiration and proof that dreams come true.” That quote is written on a sticky note and stuck to my laptop now.


Describe what it’s like to be an author in three words.

DISTRACTING. (I have conversations going on inside my head all the time.) EXCITING. (Days, months, years can go by without a glimmer of hope that anyone wants to publish your work, and then bam! just like that everything changes.) FUFILLING. (It’s clich√© to say this, but it is a dream come true.)

 

Say your publisher has offered to fly you anywhere in the world to do research on an upcoming book, where would you most likely want to go?

Napa. I love wine almost as much as I love writing romance, so to combine the two would be amazing. Going to Napa, drinking wine on someone else’s dollar in order to research a book? It’s almost too amazing to imagine.

 

If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?

An old boyfriend—I’m not even sure I could call him that. I guess he was a guy I dated. He was older than me by a couple very formative years, and I was terribly green around the dating gills. I knew he was seeing other people, but that didn’t excuse me kissing HIS BROTHER after a fraternity party. So stupid! I’m the mother of two boys now, and I’d be furious if a girl treated my boys this way.

 

Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?

I’m an extravert, and I’m certain my friends see me that way. I’m always up for an evening out. As for my behavior when I’m out, I talk a lot and with my hands. I’ve been told I’m a dramatic verbal story teller. After a couple glasses of wine, I’ve been known to stand up to really get into a story. I also have a very loud laugh, which is not pretty. It’s definitely a cackle. Still, they keep me around. J

 

Do you have a favorite quote, quip, or saying? What is it?

“Do you think I've gone round the bend?"
"I'm afraid so. You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”

--Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland



Contemporary Romance
Date Published: 3/25/12

 
 


Psychotherapist Maggie Collins has always been a little off the proverbial wall, but now she’s also knee deep in a delayed quarter-life crisis. With her meager paychecks devoured by student loan debt, a car payment and rent for office space, living at home with a flighty, folksinging mother seemed like a good idea…at first. Now Maggie’s not so sure. She wants space to sort things out and launch a life of her own, but she needs a cushion of cash to get there.  When an unexpected phone call brings an offer Maggie can’t refuse, she’s one deal with the devil away from moving out of her mother’s house.


The devil of contract negotiations, baseball agent Jordon Kemmons, has a problem the usual experts can’t fix…his star pitcher is too depressed to throw strikes. Even worse, Jordon’s post-divorce grudge against women is turning him into a raging mess. If desperate times call for desperate measures, then cynical Jordon has made the most desperate move of all. He’s hoping sexy psychotherapist Maggie Collins is the answer to all his rusty prayers. Soon Maggie and Jordon are fighting an attraction that threatens everything they’ve ever believed. If it’s not just physical attraction…if it’s something more, maybe two wrongs can make a right.



“The other thing? You mean the sex. I’m transferring feelings of love to you from my childhood because we have hot, sweaty sex—the best sex I’ve ever had?”

The woman dropped the tube, and Jordon walked toward her. “Let me get that for you, ma’am.” He bent down, and handed the toothpaste to the gaping woman, who wandered aimlessly down the aisle until she disappeared, forgetting her cart.

“That was uncalled for.” Maggie shook her head and bit back a laugh.

Jordon didn’t stop at the end of the cart. He came around and grabbed her by the hips. “We’re done with this conversation. I’m not going to let you push me away because of your misguided notions and over analysis.”

Her mouth opened at his absurd insults. Before she could say a word, his fingers rested on her chin and he closed her jaw.

“Maggie, transference is bull shit. Freud was a flake. You shrinks like to wield power over weak-minded patients. I’m not weak, and I’m not your patient.” He slid his thumb across her bottom lip. “I do…feel exactly the way I said I do, but I won’t say it again until I’m damn sure you’re going to say it back. Until then, keep your shrink wrap away from my head. There’s enough going on in there without you digging around.”

Despite the hypnotic sensation of his thumb stroking her lip, she couldn’t keep quiet anymore. “I find you offensive.”

“No you don’t.”

Jordon leaned his face closer, and she swallowed. Her tongue reflexively brushed over her lip, tasting the tip of his thumb. He stepped into her, and she swallowed again, knowing his mouth would be covering hers in the middle of a busy supermarket. But the minute his arm wound around her waist, she didn’t care where they were. She wanted him to take what he wanted and leave her begging for more.




 
Elley Arden is a born and bred Pennsylvanian who has lived as far west as Utah and as far north as Wisconsin. She drinks wine like it’s water (a slight exaggeration), prefers a night at the ballpark to a night on the town, and believes almond English toffee is the key to happiness.
 
Elley has been reading romance novels since she was a sixteen-year-old babysitter, sneaking Judith McNaught and Danielle Steele novels off the bookshelves of the women who employed her. She started her first manuscript when she was twenty-five, writing during babies’ naps. A total of three children and ten years later, the manuscript was complete. Little did she know, her journey to publication was only beginning…
 
Elley writes provocative contemporary romances for Crimson Romance.



elleyarden.com
Twitter - @ElleyWrites
Facebook


Virtual Book Tour - May 3 - May 31
 
 

May 3 - Reading Addiction Blog Tours - Meet and Greet
May 4 - My Reading Addiction - Review
May 5 - Laurie's Thoughts and Reviews - Interview/PROMO
May 8 - Queen of the Night - Review/Guest Post
May 9 - Texas Book Nook - Review
May 10 - Up All Night Reviews - Guest Post/PROMO
May 11Author Ever Leigh - Review
May 12 - In Love with Romance- PROMO
May 13 - The Serial Reader - Review/Guest Post
May 15 - My Pathway to Books - Review
May 17 - Illustrious Illusions - Review/Guest Post
May 18 - Flirting with Romance - Guest Post/PROMO
May 19 - Beth Art From the Heart - Review
May 20 - Izz Bookish Place - Guest PostPROMO
May 22 - Taking it One Page at a Time - Review
May 23 - My Cozie Corner- Review
May 24 - LovLivLife Reviews - PROMO
May 25 - Busy Mom book Reviews - Review
May 25 - Book Referees - Guest Post/PROMO
May 28 - Bunny's Reviews - Review/interview
May 29 - Faerie Tale Books - Review/Guest Post
May 30 - The Canon - Review
May 31 - RABT Reviews - Review



 
 

3 comments:

fromfacttofiction said...

Laurie,

Thanks so much for having me and helping me get the word out about SAVE MY SOUL and the Kemmons Bros. Baseball Series. The interview was great fun--your question really had me thinking. :)

Elley

Christine S. Feldman said...

Hi, Elley! I enjoyed your interview and your excerpt. Your writing style is vey smooth and a pleasure to read. When's your next book due to be released?

fromfacttofiction said...

Thanks so much, Christine! My next release is July 15, Crashing the Congressman's Wedding, which is the first book in a brand new series.

The second book in the Kemmons Bros. Baseball Series, Change My Mind, will release in September. You can get all the details here: http://www.elleyarden.com/category/books/