Sunday, April 28, 2013

Forever Winter by Amber Daulton: Interview and Excerpt: Featured Author

 



 

Tell us about your current release.

Books to Go Now published my first novella, Forever Winter, in March 2013. The story takes place on Susanna and Camden’s wedding day. After six months of courtship, plus another six months of an engagement, the couple is finally ready to marry. Unfortunately, fate has other plans.

This beautiful, sweet tale focuses on the relationship between the main characters and the people in their lives more than the actual romance that takes place in the bedroom.  
 

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

Anytime works for me but my best writing is done once the sun sets. That’s when something wild and ambitious takes over me. It’s usually the characters in my mind determined to do something crazy. So I write until the voices are appeased.  
 
 
Where do you research for your books?

Internet and books are my go-to sources for research. I have lots of websites saved on my laptop and shelves full of history books.

Research is my favorite part about writing. It’s one reason why I love historical novels so much but even contemporary novels need details checked out and verified. 
 

Does your significant other read your stuff?

My husband, Greg, totally supports my writing. He always reads the first draft, makes suggestions and then reads the second draft. I bounce ideas off him all the time. 
 

If you were to write a series of novels, what would it be about?

Ooooohhh, good question! I have a series of vampire novels already in the works. So far, there are four books in various stages of completion and another six books are planned. I haven’t signed the series with a publisher yet but the books are very dear to my heart. 
 

Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or movie?
 

Oh, yes! All the heroines I write about resemble me in some way, whether it’s personality or looks. Susanna, the heroine from Forever Winter, shares my dark brown hair. When I’m reading a book, it’s really easy to imagine myself as a character, preferably the heroine, if the story is amazing and I have a little crush on the hero.

Not so much with movies, though.
 

Who is your favorite author? 

Christine Feehan and Sherrilyn Kenyon tie for first place. Their writing styles are very different but I just can’t decide which series, Feehan’s Carpathians or Kenyon’s Dark-Hunters, is my favorite. 
 

What are your favorite TV shows?
 

I don’t watch TV shows when they are on the air. Instead, I wait for Netflix and watch the entire season in a span of a few days. It’s a total rush!

My favorite off-the-air shows: Lost, Oz, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Friends and Frasier. On-the-air: Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries, Dexter, Breaking Bad and Mad Men.  
 



 
A Christmas Eve snowstorm barreled through the English countryside and wreaked havoc on the residents of Lorican Manor. Susanna Lorican and her fianc√©, Viscount Camden Beckinworth, had planned the perfect wedding but with the dress and several guests delayed, the reverend injured, and after a confrontation with Susanna’s repulsive brother-in-law, reaching the altar seemed impossible. Despite one setback after another, Susanna and Camden vowed to marry, their love too great to deny any longer.
 
 


Susanna trembled as sobs clogged her throat. Camden rushed to her side and wrapped his arms around her. His lips brushed across her forehead. His touch was too intimate but she didn’t have the strength or desire to pull away.

“Breathe,” he instructed. “There’s more than one man of the cloth in Derby, in your family’s parish. Another will be fetched.”

Susanna shook her head and then fisted her hands in his frilled shirt and striped waistcoat, crying as if the world had tumbled down on top of her. He held her close for several minutes, murmuring sweet words in her ear. She finally glanced up, her eyes red and puffy, and swallowed hard to find her voice. “Reverend Chauncey’s horse slipped on ice, so I doubt the road is travelable. I don’t want anyone else injured on our account.”

He nodded. “I love you, Susanna Lorican. Nothing will change that.” He clasped her tear-stained cheek in his palm. “Stay strong for me. We will get through this.”

Guilt overwhelmed her. Susanna squeezed her eyes shut and pried herself from his arms. She needed space and time to think. As he tried to hold her hand, she shifted from his grasp and scooted as far back on the sofa as possible. Tears leaked from her eyelids. “It’s all my fault.” She stared up at Camden as another sob clogged her throat. She felt so unworthy. Foolish. She clutched her hands in her skirts and forced down the sob. “I’m sorry. What was I thinking? A winter wedding? I must be insane.”
 
 


 

My mind is a wonderland of romance, laughter and really awesome ways of kicking a guy when he’s down. Writing is my passion and I probably wouldn’t be too sane without it. After all, what’s a girl to do when there are people jabbering away in her head and there’s no way to shut them up? Write! That’s the only answer I’ve found that works.

 

I live in the lovely foothills of North Carolina with my supportive husband and four fuzzy, little ninjas. Aka: our kitties! I work in retail but I’d love to write full-time someday. My hobbies include hiking, gardening, reading (of course!), scrapbooking, and watching movies or TV shows.

 

I love hearing from readers. Feel free to drop me a line!

 

Links: 

 
 



Post a Comment