Monday, March 25, 2013

The Rebel's Promise by Jane Godman: Character Interview and Excerpt

 





Character Interviews

Jack Lindsey, Lord St Anton and Rosie Delacourt are the hero and heroine of ‘The Rebel’s Promise’. These interviews take place half way through the story, when they are both in London and the conflict between them is at its height.

Rosie agreed to be interviewed at the London home of Sir Clive Sheridan’s aunt (with whom she is staying). We caught up with Jack at his club where he was meeting a friend for lunch.

 

What would we find under your bed?

Rosie

My brother’s dog, Beau! ‘Twas ever his habit to conceal a bone or two under there!

Jack

Until I received the King’s pardon, it would probably have been me … hiding there from the redcoats!

 

What makes you happy?

Rosie (bites her lip)

Just a few months ago my greatest pleasure was to be found in a delivery of chintz for a new gown, or a pretty bonnet! But now, since I cannot be with Jack, there can be no true happiness for me. I will never, however, regret meeting him and falling in love with him. I just wish that circumstances had been different, or that I could explain things to him.

London life is a whirl of parties and balls, which, would, in other circumstances, be enjoyable. But, since all of these remarkable events have occurred, I am happiest when engaged in simple pleasures such as a quiet hour spent with my dear brother.

Jack (a faraway look comes into his remarkable blue eyes)

Mine has always been a restless, adventurous spirit. I enjoyed the excitement of battle and the intrigue of planning the rebellion. And I have always been at home in a ballroom! Dancing, drinking and flirting – always leading, of course, to a romantic assignation – were once all amongst my favourite past-times.

But, of late, my tastes have changed. Mayhap that is due to my advancing years? I have now reached the grand old age of seven and twenty, after all! I believe my greatest happiness would lie in spending the rest of my life with one woman … the right woman. I thought I had found her but, sadly, I was mistaken about her true nature …

 

What was the worst moment of your life?

Rosie

Since that day in December when I found Jack lying unconscious at the road side, I have endured many dark moments. The worst of those, by far, was when I heard that my darling Jack had been killed in battle at Culloden Moor. At the same time, my brother and I were in grave danger and I needed Jack with me then, more than ever.

Of course, I now know that he did NOT die. No matter what he thinks of me (her lip trembles) … a world with Jack in it will always, for me, be a better place than one without him! But, sadly, he may as well have died that day, for he is now lost to me forever.

Jack

It was when I returned from exile in France to find that Rosie was to marry Sir Clive Sheridan. The very dastard who betrayed me to the redcoats! How could she?

I promised I would return and she said (he pauses, struggling to gain control of his emotions) ‘If it takes forever, Jack, I will wait for you’. But she did not even wait six months!

Yet … and this makes me sound like the worst kind of coxcomb imaginable … I still struggle to believe she prefers that scoundrel to me! When we are together, I sometimes think, from the look in her eyes, that her feelings towards me are unchanged. But she must love Sheridan … why else would she stay with a cur like him?   


If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?

Rosie (very quietly)

It would be to Jack, of course. He does not understand why I must marry Clive and if I told him the truth, we would all – myself, Jack and Harry – face the gallows. Even if I was prepared to risk my own life, to count the world lost for love and go to Jack … I have a duty to Harry. I dare not … (she looks away and repeats, as if she is trying to convince herself) … I dare not.

Jack (spends a long time thinking about the question)

I did not consider my family name when I joined the Jacobites. I followed my rebellious instincts. Meeting Rosie and falling in love with her – and I fell so fast and so hard that I amazed even myself! - made me stop and think about the future, something I have never done before.

I must one day marry and have heirs … although … (he stops and abruptly changes the subject). I would apologise to future generations of Lindseys, lest any action of mine has sullied our name.

 

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

Rosie (with a blush and a mischievous smile)

That I had only known Jack a few short days when I asked him to make love to me. He laughed at me and called me a ‘shameless hussy’ … but he succumbed eventually! That night before he left was the most wonderful, magical … Pray forgive me (she rummages for a handkerchief) …  

Jack (with an exasperated sigh)

Well, at the present moment it would be that I am NOT Lady Bella Cavendish’s lover! I will not bore you with the details of how that rumour began but, suffice to say, it has spread around London like wildfire. Even my best friend (he glances up as Sir Peregrine Pomeroy, on cue, enters the room) will not believe me! He is convinced I am – what was the delightful phrase he used? Ah, yes – ‘keeping cully’ with Lady Bella!

Make no mistake, Bella is very beautiful and … well, I have every reason to believe she would be happy for us to become better acquainted. But we are just friends (he sighs) … no, I assure you, there really is no more to it than that!

 

What one word best describes you?

Rosie (quickly) – Impulsive

Jack (bitterly) - Loyal

 

Who should play you in a film? 

Rosie

What, pray, is a ‘film’? (she listens carefully, then laughs) I still have no idea what it means, but it sounds prodigiously entertaining! I am reliably informed that there is an English actress, Miss Samantha Barks, who looks somewhat like me and who would admirably fulfill the role.

Jack

I confess I am intrigued by this uncommon notion! It is like a stage-play, you say? Which actor would play me? ‘Twould require a devilish handsome man, of course (he laughs and strikes a heroic pose) … I believe Mr Rob James-Collier would conduct himself well in the part.



 
In December 1745, Jacobite troops, led by Bonnie Prince Charlie, march on Derby intent on seizing the throne. Rosie Delacourt’s quiet existence is thrown into turmoil when she rescues a rebel lord from certain death. A passionate attachment blossoms but there is a price on Jack’s head and he must flee the country. Before he leaves, he makes Rosie a promise that he will return and claim her as his bride.

Rosie believes that Jack has been killed in battle at Culloden. She is threatened with ruin and forced into a distasteful betrothal. When Jack returns, he is unable to hide the anguish he feels at her betrayal ... and Rosie dare not risk telling him the truth. It seems the only feelings which remain between them are bitterness and anger. But, when danger throws them together again, they are reminded of the tenderness they once shared.
 
 
 
 
 

5 Star Reviews for ‘The Rebel’s Promise’:


‘The Rebels’ Promise by Jane Godman is an English/ Scottish romance novel with all the adventure and intrigue you would expect from 1745 England. It is a well written and exciting book that I found hard to put down.

The storyline was well developed and easy to follow. I really enjoyed all the subtle twist and turns in the plot. The story was very believable and it was easy to imagine life in the aristocratic world of 18th century London.

Not only was the story a romance novel with all the expected “mushy” stuff, but the action and intrigue makes it a book for all readers. It will keep you glued to the book and wanting more.

Jane Godman did an excellent job of developing the characters. The lead characters were easy to identify with and very real to life. I also liked how she continued to develop the supporting characters in the story and build to their critical role in the climax of the story.

I really enjoyed The Rebel’s Promise by Jane Godman and I highly recommend it to all readers.’

 


‘I enjoyed every minute of this book. It was romantic, sad and funny by turns. The hero and heroine are great characters, who you just like from the start. I like the way you feel the instant attraction between them, even though he is unconscious! The villain is evil and you just want him to get his come uppance. One of the best things about this book is the supporting cast of characters. They all add to the story and they are all really great characters in their own right (even the dog). The setting is atmospheric, and it just feels like you are there with them back in the 1700s mostly because the dialogue is cleverly done. The writing style made me feel like it was a movie and I would love to see this book made into a mini-series. It would be great to see a sequel!’

‘Thoroughly enjoyable. Had to read in one sitting. Not only the main characters but the supporting ones are well done.’

 


‘Loved this book. Had me laughing and crying and a sweet love story.’

‘Sweet, funny and charming. Loved the story and the characters, like reading a soap opera or an episode of Downton Abbey.’

 

Purchase links:

SmashwordsAll Romance  |  Kobo  |  Front Porch Romance (publisher’s website)

 


 

There followed a nightmarish few weeks during which Jack appeared to be at great pains to demonstrate to Rosie that he had, indeed, as he predicted, recovered from his infatuation with her. Since his remedy took the form of indulgence in a series of outrageous flirtations with a parade of very willing partners, he could not have found a more successful method of torturing her. At every ball, rout or party – even strolling in the park – as soon as he espied Rosie, Jack would turn into an unrecognizable philanderer … and there was never a shortage of ladies prepared to indulge him.

On one memorable occasion, Rosie had been forced to endure the spectacle of him taking snuff from the proffered wrist of a plump, little lady of notoriously questionable morals. The lady herself had announced that Lord St Anton was very welcome to take snuff from various other parts of her anatomy.  Jack, sensing Rosie’s outraged eyes upon them, had smiled his wickedest smile in reply.

The following night, on a visit to the theatre, Rosie’s attention was shared between the performance on the stage and the one in the box opposite. Jack and Sir Peregrine had been joined by several ladies who seemed intent on vying to see which of them could behave in the most scandalous manner. Sitting rigidly straight in her chair, Rosie resisted the sudden, overwhelming impulse to storm over there and drag the painted strumpet - who was currently sitting in Jack’s lap and hanging about his neck like a limpet - out by her hair.            

Her misery was compounded during a dance given by one of Sir Peregrine’s flirts who paraded a steady stream of enticing young ladies under Jack’s nose. He obliged by dancing with each one in turn whilst making himself charming to them all. Rosie put on a brave face, whilst wanting nothing more than to crawl away and hide in some dark corner to lick her emotional wounds. Sir Peregrine – who was renowned for his skill on the dance floor – requested her hand, and, for the first time, it cost her a pang to explain to a prospective partner that she could not dance because she was in mourning. Despite the crushing throng, he led her to an empty sofa in a quiet corner and managed to conjure up two glasses of champagne. They watched the dancers in silence before Sir Peregrine said quietly.

“Our mutual friend is not a happy man.” 

Jack was circling straight-backed, with hands behind his back, while casting a roguish glance back over his shoulder at his giggling partner. There seemed to be little evidence in his manner to support Sir Peregrine’s assertion.

“He looks cheerful enough to me,” Rosie replied, with a touch of acidity in her voice.

“Ah, that is exactly what he would have us believe,” Sir Peregrine informed her wisely, “The lady who secures my friend Jack’s heart will be most fortunate, Miss Delacourt. His nature is such that he will, I believe, remain true to her throughout his life.”

“’Tis a happy circumstance that there is no such lady then,” Rosie remarked, as Jack’s partner presented him with a flower from her breast and he kissed it reverently before placing it in his button-hole, “And he is free to play the field. At which, you must admit, he seems very adept. ”

Sir Peregrine sighed, “Have you ever encountered two people whose stubbornness is so great, Miss Delacourt, that it makes you long to bash their heads together?”

She stiffened a little at that and he hoped he had managed to rouse her to anger, but instead she smiled and said quietly, “My father used to call me ‘mulish’ when I was a child.”

“He sounds a most perceptive gentleman,” Sir Peregrine told her gently. Their hostess came along at that moment to claim the dance he had promised her and he rose. Bowing in own his exquisite way, he said in an undertone, “Think on what I have said, Miss Delacourt. Appearances can be deceptive.”

Jack was doing his cause no favours, he acknowledged. At that precise moment, he could be seen, in full view of the whole room, taking turns to sip from a glass of champagne with yet another simpering debutante.  
 




I am an avid reader of historical romances, and have always enjoyed writing (I still have a copy of the medieval novel I wrote, in felt tip pen, aged 14!).
 
 
My romances are set in the Georgian era - from the wild passion of the Jacobite rebellion to the charm and formality of the Regency - with heroes and heroines you fall instantly in love with, fascinating and amusing supporting characters and luscious settings.
 
 
I live in England and love to travel to European cities which are steeped in history and romance. Venice, Dubrovnik and Vienna are amongst my favourites. I am a teacher, married to a lovely man, mum to two grown up children and slave to a spoilt-brat cat.
 

‘The Rebel’s Promise’ is my debut novel and I am currently working on another Georgian romance, ‘The Corsair’s Revenge’. It’s not quite a sequel, but there are a few familiar faces!

 

 ‘The Rebel’s Promise’ book trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK4w-ci2bU4

 

I love to hear from readers and can be contacted at:





 


 

Please let me know, by commenting on this post, if there are any other questions you would like jack and Rosie to answer. Two commenters, selected by me (Jane), will receive a free PDF copy of ‘The Rebel’s Promise’. Good luck!

Oh, and Jack and Rosie will, of course, answer your questions on my own Jane Godman Historical Romance Author blog! 

Giveaway ends 4/13/13.



Post a Comment