Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ixeos by Jennings Wright: Character Interview and Excerpt


 





Today we are chatting with Marty a character in Ixeos by Jennings Wright
 
Tell us about your family. 
I live in Richmond, VA, and am an only child. I was visiting my cousins in Beaufort, NC during summer vacation when we ended up in Ixeos. Neahle is my age, 18, and Clay is almost 20. Our parents are probably completely nuts by now, thinking we all drowned. That’s the thing I most regret about coming to Ixeos.
 
What was the scariest moment of your life? 
The scariest moment was also the most exciting, if I’m being honest. When we crawled through the drain pipe and ended up here, we thought it was okay because we could go back. But when we turned around and that tunnel was gone… Well, my heart was beating a million miles an hour! And then we saw people coming down the tunnel. It was freaky! We didn’t know if they were good guys or bad guys, and our luck seemed to be leaning towards bad. But I was excited, too. I mean, who hasn’t always wanted to visit another world?
 
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? 
I wanted to be an NBA player like Lebron James. Of course, when I stopped growing after the 8th grade and was only 5’9” tall (not to mention that I have zero skills), I had to give that idea up. But that’s when I started messing around with computers and decided to be the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs.
 
What are your favorite TV shows? 
If only we had TV on Ixeos! Before I got here, my favorite show was The Big Bang Theory. I liked Scrubs and The Office and How I Met Your Mother, too.
 
What is your favorite meal? 
Jeez, don’t get me started on real food. Before we got here, my favorite food was lobster with tons of butter. Now that I eat beans and rice almost every day, I dream about steak and chicken and ice cream. I guess I get meat every once in awhile, but I never get ice cream. Chocolate, with peanut butter ribbons… My mouth is watering!
 
What group did you hang out with in high school? 
The computer geeks. It was pretty obvious I wasn’t a jock or a rich kid or an emo or even remotely connected to any of the cool kids. But don’t underestimate the computer kids – we were hacking into the school data base, government agencies and even Twitter by the time we were juniors!
 
What are you passionate about these days? 
Finding Darian and getting him out of that prison. Plus figuring out the Firsts computer network. I know I can hack in there and figure out a lot of things to help us, but I have to be careful so they don’t know we’re out here working on it.
 
Morning person? Or night person? How do you know? 
I’m a teenager – definitely a night person! Although I don’t get much sleep here, and since I live underground it’s hard to know when it’s day or night.
 
Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why? 
Introvert, definitely. I’m happy alone, and I need time alone to recharge. Being in the tunnels with so many people gets tiring, but when I’m at the computer station, that’s better, since there are just four of us and we’re all introverts.
 
You just won a huge lottery. What is the first thing you’d buy? 
Money doesn’t mean a thing here on Ixeos, but if I had won the lottery when I was still back in Virginia, the first thing I’d have bought would have been the slickest, fastest, most expensive computer I could find. Maybe even a whole room full of them!

 





Ixeos

The McClellands are enjoying a lazy summer vacation at the beach when they are lured from our world into Ixeos, an alternate Earth. Finding themselves lost in a maze of tunnels under Paris and surrounded by strangers, they discover that they have been brought to Ixeos for one purpose:  to take the planet back from humanoid aliens who have claimed it. With the aid of the tunnels and a mysterious man named Landon, the teens travel the world seeking the key that will allow them to free Darian, the long-imprisoned rebel leader. But the aliens aren't the only problem on Ixeos -- the McClellands have to deal with brutal gangs, desperate junkies, and a world without power, where all the technology is owned by the aliens, and where most of the population has been killed or enslaved. The worst part? There's no way home.







Amazon * Barnes and Noble


Abacus laughed. “Trust me, I know how hard it is to see things in your own brother. But he’s smart and I think he’s onto something with this code theory.”
Thinking about it, Neahle nodded. “Yeah, me too. He’s always been good at mysteries and puzzles and things like that. I guess it’s why he likes working on engines. And he… Well, he listens to the stuff inside his head. I don’t know how to describe it exactly. But if Landon sent us here for a particular reason — I mean, other than just helping the cause — it wouldn’t surprise me if it were to solve a puzzle. Marty does it, too, in a different way.” She sighed. “I’m just along for the ride.”
Abacus reached out and patted her hand on the handlebar. “We all have our own part to play, not just as ballast for someone else’s ship. For one thing, your brother trusts you. But I suspect there’s more for you here than that. Just keep doing the thing in front of you and you’ll find it.”

 
 



Author Jennings Wright


Born and raised in Florida, Jennings spent her early years reading anything she could get her hands on, when she wasn't spending time in and on the water. She won a prize in the 6th grade for her science fiction stories.



Jennings attended the University of Tampa, graduating with a B.A. in Political Science, and almost enough credits for B.A.s in both English and History. She attended graduate school at the University of West Florida, studying Psychology. She spent time over the years doing various kinds of business writing, editing, and teaching writing, but mostly having and raising her family, homeschooling her children, owning and running a business with her husband, and starting a non-profit.



Thanks to a crazy idea called NaNoWriMo Jennings got back into creative writing in 2011 and hasn't stopped since. She currently lives in North Carolina with her husband, also a business owner and writer, and two children, and travels extensively with her family, and her non-profit in Uganda.





Facebook * Twitter * Website * Blog * Amazon * Goodreads







Tour Schedule
 
 








Blog Tour Giveaway

$25 Amazon Gift Card or Paypal Cash

Ends 4/12/13



Open only to those who can legally enter, receive and use an Amazon.com Gift Code or Paypal Cash. Winning Entry will be verified prior to prize being awarded. No purchase necessary. You must be 18 or older to enter or have your parent enter for you. The winner will be chosen by rafflecopter and announced here as well as emailed and will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Twitter, Rafflecopter or any other entity unless otherwise specified. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. Giveaway was organized by Kathy from I Am A Reader, Not A Writer http://iamareader.com and sponsored by the authors. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.










No comments: