Saturday, March 23, 2013

A World Apart by David M Brown: Character Interview and Excerpt

 


 

Interview with Demetrius from A World Apart

Tell us about your family?

I was raised in Dove’s Meadow by my father, Lacuna, and my grandfather, Granicus. Granicus is a legendary soldier that won renown throughout Himordia though he turned his back on the chance of power and retired to the simple life of a shepherd. No one but him knows why. My father never had it in him to be a soldier and took to the shepherd life more smoothly. I know nothing of my mother. I asked my father once but his pained expression was enough for me to realise I should never ask again.

If you could apologise to someone in your past who would it be?

My childhood friends – Eleyna and Halcyon. Though what happened between us wasn’t entirely down to me, I do know I will always carry some of the responsibility. If I could see them I would say I’m sorry for the things I did and what it led to for the three of us.

Who should play you in a film?

I would favour an actor like Jake Gyllenhaal or maybe Leonardo DiCaprio. A World Apart covers my entire life so make-up artists would be overworked if one person alone played me!

What makes you happy?

Friendship has brought me more pleasure than anything. Growing up I was with Eleyna and Halcyon and those were the happiest days of my life. When I left Dove’s Meadow to join the army my best friend was Nacre. I spent more years with him than anyone else I’ve ever known.

What one best describes you?

Dutiful.

Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?

Eleyna and Halcyon would say I was an extravert growing up. We were always together and though I wasn’t always the most outspoken we were never complete if you took one of us away. These days Nacre would tell you I’m more of an introvert. I like to be alone with my own thoughts now I’m older, to reflect on the past and consider what might have been.

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

That I wish I had never picked up a sword and instead followed in my father’s footsteps. Though I was born to be a soldier and excelled as one, I would gladly have given it all up for the life I one knew with my father, with Halcyon, but most of all with Eleyna.



 

Demetrius makes his first mistake when he lets his best friend Halcyon marry Eleyna, the love of his life, without saying a word. On the day of the wedding, he walks away from the Elencheran town of Dove's Meadow and joins the army.

He makes his second mistake when the pirate Black Iris tricks him into letting dozens of men, women and children die in a fire. Demetrius is imprisoned in grief and disgrace.

But he can atone. The Black Iris is dead. The Ivory Rose has risen to the top of the pirates and is leading brutal raids on the coast. If Demetrius can capture and kill her, he'll win his pardon.

And then Demetrius discovers the Ivory Rose is Eleyna. He must decide which will be his third mistake: losing his last chance at a pardon or destroying the one woman he's ever loved.
 
 
A World Apart on Amazon US   |   A World Apart on Amazon UK
 

Demetrius made his way home as quickly as he could. As the wedding crowd began to fade he knew Lacuna would have the opportunity to leave the mayor’s gardens and make his own way home. Lacuna had insisted that he didn’t want to see Demetrius leave for Merrivale and that he would awake early tomorrow to be out of the way. What Lacuna didn’t know was that Demetrius had no intention of staying beyond the completion of his duties.
Demetrius soon reached the cottage and stayed only long enough to snatch his satchel from his bed. He had a quick look through the satchel before leaving the cottage and closing the door. Increasing his pace, Demetrius made his way south down the hills. He wanted to keep Dove’s Meadow in sight for just a little longer.
Little smoke rose from the mongers throughout town. Most people had chosen to take advantage of the festivities and celebrate Halcyon and Eleyna’s wedding. They would be at The Moonlight Inn now. Would they be wondering where Demetrius was? Would Halcyon or Eleyna break from their celebrations to come and find him? Demetrius sincerely doubted it. It was hard to leave your guests on such an occasion and he imagined Halcyon and Eleyna’s families were keeping them busy, toasting their union and speculating about the long and happy marriage they would surely have. 
Demetrius continued to head south and found the hills beginning to recede. Soon he could only see Dove’s Meadow faintly in the distance. He still hadn’t made much progress, as if an invisible force had projected from the heart of town and impaled itself within his body, allowing him enough leverage to move on the surrounding hills but not enough to walk away from the town for good. 
Only when Dove’s Meadow was no longer in sight did Demetrius walk with more purpose. He continued south knowing that he would eventually turn east and follow a path towards Merrivale where his life would begin anew. He couldn’t stop thinking about Eleyna. She had looked so beautiful at the wedding but Demetrius had been powerless to do anything but allow her to marry Halcyon. If only she had married a complete stranger. Would that have made Demetrius more likely to have stopped the wedding? He had serious doubts about his resolve even under these very different circumstances. Demetrius may have been potentially a soldier in the making but he didn’t have the heart or stomach to face up to his fears when it came to Eleyna. These failures had cost him dearly and he vowed never to ruin such an opportunity of happiness if ever it came his way again. 
Demetrius walked all afternoon and well into the evening. As he sat down to rest by a solitary tree on the tip of a small hill he had to suddenly shield his eyes. Emanating in the starlit skies was a purple glow that came from the east. Demetrius smiled. 
This phenomenon was known throughout Elenchera and came from Miarchre, the great tree of life that stood across the sea to the east in Valadomiar. When the colonists had first come to the lands in West Elenchera they were able to explain to the natives what the myriad of glows across the cosmos were. Green being the most common and signifying the changing of the months, purple the passage of a year and the rarest of all being a pale blue which meant the end of a Shard of time. Witnessing the end of a Shard was a privilege given to few such as dwarves, elves, dragons, tolderes and elamorgias and in this age of Elenchera those races had been vastly reduced by slavery and colonial oppression. Such cruel fates the Himordians had managed to withstand.  
Demetrius admired the sumptuous purple glow as it spread throughout the night sky but did not blemish the twinkling stars that were scattered throughout the immaculate carpet overhead. This purple glow signalled the end of the year. It had felt like a long time since the last purple glow but now Demetrius basked in the light that seemed to be honouring him as he set out on a new path, one far away from Dove’s Meadow, away from the regrets and bitter memories that Eleyna conjured whenever he saw her.



 
 

David Brown could be considered a fantasy fanatic, especially since he has spent the last 10 years developing a 47,000-year history for his fictional world of Elenchera. When converting his obsession into literary form, David commits himself to a rigorous writing and editing process before his work can meet his approval. Combined with the critical eye of his wife and a BA Hons in History and English, David's dedication leads him to his goal of inspiring readers through heartfelt stories and characters.

 
Links:
Website  |  Blog  |  Twitter  |  Facebook
 
 


1 comment:

elenchera said...

Thank you hosting me today, Laurie.

Demetrius enjoyed the interview :)

I hope your readers like the interview and excerpt.

If anyone has any questions I'm more than happy to answer.