Monday, February 11, 2013

The Shadow of the Unicorn by Suzanne de Montigny:Interview: Orangeberry Tour Stop

 


 

What is one book everyone should read? Anne of Green Gables. Anne Shirley convinced me writing was a cool thing to do.

If you could have any superpower what would you choose? To brainwash evil people so they turn their lives around.

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? Rocky Road. I love the chocolate and the chewy nuts – texture.

If you could meet one person who has died who would you choose? Pierre Trudeau, our past prime minister. He was so utterly brilliant and didn’t care what people thought of him.

What inspired you to want to become a writer? I thought it would be neat to publish a book when I was a teenager, but I also loved music and medicine. Music won out for a long time. After a master’s degree in music, I free-lanced, playing piano in restaurants and composing music. Eventually, I drifted into teaching and taught classroom music in Vancouver for over twenty years. That’s where I learned I was a good storyteller. The kids really behaved just so they could hear some tale I made up on the spot at the end of class. Then after my kids were born, I decided to take a couple of years off of teaching until they were in school. And that’s when I began to write, and I’ve never looked back. And, BTW, I quit teaching to stay home and write two days after receiving my first publishing contract.

What was your favorite book when you were a child/teen? I really loved the Lucy Maude Montgomery series, lots of Victoria Holt, Agatha Christy, and James Michener. And when I was really small – Curious George and Clifford the Big Red Dog.

What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors? Write from the heart and write what’s true to you. Make your readers feel everything in great depth. Make them see themselves in your characters. Make them laugh. Make them cry.

If you could choose only one time period and place to live, when and where would you live and why? The Yukon during the time of the gold rush.

If you could be one of the Greek Gods, which would it be and why? The ugly one with the snakes in her hair. I’m constantly struggling with frizzy hair and I really relate well to her because of it.

You have won one million dollars what is the first thing that you would buy? I’d get things fixed around the house. It’s driving me crazy – the unfinished bathroom downstairs, the tilting deck, the weedy bricks on the side of the house, the ugly landscaping. But I’d also give a lot away to people I know who need a hand up.

Which authors have influenced you the most and how? Probably Lucy Maude Montgomery because she wrote about such charming things like little red-headed girls bashing their slate over a boy’s head whom she later marries. Then there’s Charles Dickens. I love the way he foreshadows everything with his descriptions.

What do you do in your free time?  Music, music, and more music.

If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the title be? The Screaming Neurotic Child Within



 
SUZANNE DE MONTIGNY wrote her first unicorn story at the age of twelve. Several years later, she discovered it in an old box in the basement, thus reigniting her love affair with unicorns. The Shadow of the Unicorn: The Legacy, is her first novel. Suzanne lives in Burnaby, B.C. with the three loves of her life - her husband and two boys.
 
 
Connect with Suzanne De Montigny on Facebook & Twitter
Website http://www.suzannedemontigny.com/
 




Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – Middle Grade Fantasy
Rating – G
 

A loud, hissing sound filled the air. The unicorns looked up, their eyes filled with horror.
Azaria, a unicorn colt, is intrigued when the young clairvoyant dinosaur, Darius, foresees a terrifying change in the world. When a giant fireball smashes into the earth, the unicorns struggle to survive the hurricanes and starvation that follow. Danger of a more sinister nature threatens when the creatures-that-walk-on-two-legs settle in the valley and their leader, Ishmael, discovers the healing power of the unicorns’ horns. Azaria, now a young stallion, must use his wits to save the herd from complete extinction.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
Next Few Stops
 
12th February – Guest Post at Gentleman Reads
13th February – Author Interview & Book Review at eInk Reviews
14th February – Guest Post & Book Feature at Imagination in Books
15th February – Author Interview & Book Review at Book Professor
16th February – Author Interview at I Am A Reader
 
 
 
 

No comments: