Monday, February 11, 2013

The Italian Connection by Alex Akira: Intervew: Orangeberry Tour Stop

 


Tell us a bit about your family. I have little in the way of family. I was taken from my parents at a very early age and placed in the foster care system. Both my real parents and those that raised me have passed away from varying illnesses. My life partner or mate, as I refer to him, is my family, along with a few intimate friends.
 
Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? I’ve always written and drawn. When I was fourteen, my English teacher read a passage of mine out loud to the class. I was mortified, as I was one of the hidden [avoid attention at all costs] but the way he looked at me after reading it, well for the first time in my life I felt…I had… worth.
 
When and why did you begin writing? After the above incident I read and wrote constantly. But I also drew. My peers liked my drawings, which kept me from being beat up, so when the time came for me to apply to college, I chose one college that focused on writing and one that focused on art. The art school gave me a full five-year scholarship… I stopped writing and started painting.
 
When did you first know you could be a writer? This almost a trick question and my answer is not because I am a smart alec. As soon as I learned the alphabet, learned to read and how to string words together to form a sentence. I’m a big believer in “if you can see it, you can be it.” Now whether anyone else considers me a writer, lol, that is on them.
 
What inspires you to write and why? Life and it’s happenings inspire me to write.
I write to amuse myself, to release stuff that’s inside that I need to get out, to play God, sometimes. In a world where I control little, I can make my characters do what I want to.


Honestly? It’s a selfish pursuit on my part, allowing me to express parts of my imagination that I can’t express elsewhere. I do think of the reader in that I try to take them to the expected places in unexpected, but agreeable ways. But mostly I write to give a jolt of happiness to subdue life’s pain.
 


What genre are you most comfortable writing? Fiction. I live my life pretty seriously, so fiction lets me escape and relax.
 
What inspired you to write your first book? I’ve always been curious about what strangers are like behind the image they project. I also love martial arts. In Japanese manga, often characters are depicted as students of martial arts. I wanted to imagine the life style of those students and happen to be a student of Shotokan… so Dojo Boys: Dragon & Crow was born.
 
Can you tell us about your main character? Ah, Philippe Michael Ponty the angst-ridden lead of this story is actually a supporting character from Dragon & Crow, my previous novel. Readers pretty much demanded to know his story and so I decided to write a short story about him. The story kind of took off and turned into a two Volume novel.
 
How did you develop your plot and characters? The plot of Volume One, the love story, came from simply imaging what happens when you fall in love but are rejected. Well, for me you keep busy and bury yourself in work. If it’s still too painful, you get out of town or move away and isolate to a degree.
Tommy and Julian, the other leads in Volume One, were developed because I wanted to add an alternative rock edge to the story. For some reason Tommy immediately appeared in my head as a young Denis Leary “aka Tommy Gavin” of the television series Rescue Me. I tried to shake him, but I couldn’t, so went with it.
Julian, the Italian lead? Well, I wanted someone really special and manly for Philip, someone who had struggles of his own, but who was seriously mature and of course smoking hot and extremely passionate. I chanced upon a photo of the very British David Gandy and I couldn’t shake it… he became Julian, lol.
 
Who designed the cover? I do my own covers, mainly because I couldn’t afford Pl Nunn or Anne Cain and I wanted something in-between a manga illustration and a photograph.
 
Who is your favorite author and why? I’m going to twist this question bit. I miss David Gemmell’s storytelling abilities tremendously now that the has passed. And I wish Stieg Larsson had more time with us to give us additional stories.
 
 

Alex A. Akira spend a number of years traveling internationally as a jack of all trades dabbling in wide array of creative fields, theatre, martial arts, metaphysics, yoga, weightlifting, and accessories, jewelry and giftware design to name a few, before deciding to put pen to paper and later finger to keyboard, to craft various tales of young males struggling with emotional turmoil and internal conflict as they try to navigate their way through love and life in general. Why, yaoi, boy's love and m/m romance tales, you ask? ... well you do what you know.


Connect with Alex Akira on Facebook & Twitter & GoodReads




 
Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – M/M Romance
Rating – R
 
This swiftly-paced two-volume romantic Yaoi love story tells the tale of the multi-talented thief/dancer Philippe Michael Ponty. First introduced in Dojo Boys: Dragon & Crow Volume II, the now twenty-two year old platinum haired, petite Adonis struggles to make a home for himself in America.

Volume I finds Philip settling in Connecticut in disguise, as he doesn't want to draw too much attention to his true line of work. Despite his caution, he meets and befriends a local rock musician, Tommy Sear, who despairs of ever having his band make it.

Quickly smitten by the dark-haired, shy Asian male that is Philip, Tommy seeks to make the young man his, but Philip doesn't believe in love; besides, he has a very real problem. He can't seem to get the victim of his last burglary, a green-eyed, virile Italian male... out of his mind.

With Philip's encouragement, Tommy renews his efforts to get his band, Sear, a record deal. He makes a demo and shortly after a scout contacts him, from Italy no less. The Italian scout is coming to America hear them play in the hopes of signing Sear to the much sought-after label, Romano Studios.


But Tommy has a secret and he's afraid that without Philip's help, they may not get the deal.
 


Publisher's Note: This book contains sexual content, explicit language and situations that some readers may find objectionable: male/male sexual practices.

Genres: Yaoi, Boy's Love, M/M Romance, Gay, Action Adventure

 
 

 
 
Next Few Stops
 
12th February – Author Interview & Guest Post at Read, Watch & Listen
13th February – Author Interview, Guest Post & Book Feature at The Cover
14th February – Book Feature at Delphina Reads Too Much
15th February – Guest Post at Gimme the Scoop
16th February – Author Interview & Guest Post at Book Goodies
17th February – Guest Post at A Blue Million Books
 
 
 
 
 


No comments: