Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Crowns Vengeance by Andrew Clawson: Interview

 



 
 
Thanks so much for taking time to visit today.  I'm looking forward to learning a bit about you and your path to becoming a published author.  :)  How did you start your writing career?



On a couch, just having finished a novel. It was literally right after I read the last page of a book. I put the novel down (this was before ereaders), and suddenly a question popped into my head. Why couldn’t I do this? Seeing no impediments, I grabbed my computer and began mashing keys, certain that bestseller-dom was only a few months away.

Of course, it never crossed my mind that it would take six drafts, thousands of hours, and seven years to finally produce something publishable. So, needless to say, do not choose to be a writer. This should only be done as a last resort, once professional fire-eating doesn’t pan out.


Tell us about a favorite character from a book.


Currently my favorite character is Alex Hawke, the protagonist in Ted Bell’s fantastic series of thrillers. I find Hawke fascinating because he’s a modern day James Bond, with a touch more humanity. Hawke is (of course) impossibly rich, but he’s far from perfect. Sure, he’s loaded, but he’s had a rough life and is flawed like any of us. As interesting a character as Ted Bell has created, I secretly suspect the reason I so enjoy his writing isn’t Alex Hawke’s good looks and charm, but Ted Bell’s fabulous way with words.

Somewhere in there is a lesson. I’ve only got to find it first.


Tell us about your first book.

A Patriot’s Betrayal is my interpretation of the thriller set in modern times that also reaches back into the past, bringing it to life and hopefully educating the reader (just a bit) while they are entertained. I love history, especially American history, and based the plot on one of the most well-known figures from our nations past (hint: he’s on the cover). The hero, Parker Chase, is a guy just like you (if you were a guy Laurie) or I who finds himself in situations that will test his resolve, revealing what type of man he is and how far he’s willing to go to stay alive. I like to think it’s chock full of action with a bit of knowledge sprinkled on top.



What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books?

How unbelievably lonely this process can be. You are the only person who is going to write those words. If you don’t do it, it simply doesn’t get done. Writing a book has been the single most rewarding thing I’ve ever done in my life, but it was also one of the most difficult. If you’re lucky enough to have a support group of beta readers or cheerleaders who offer kind words or valuable advice, make use of them. In writing as in life, true companionship enriches the ride.



When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?
 
I write any chance I get, but mostly at night after work. I work towards a total word goal each day, which can vary from 1,000 to 2,000 words, depending on how it’s going that day. I’ve found that it depends on the scene I’m writing and how far ahead I’ve planned the specifics of the next few scenes. If I’ve got a good plan or an action-packed scene, the words usually pour onto the screen. If the chapter is only vaguely planned, the sledding can be rough.



Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?


Write every damn day.

 

Tell us about the absolute BEST fan letter you have received.

That would be the first letter I receive. Which hasn’t happened yet. But when it does I am going to be PSYCHED.

 

Have you attended a high school reunion? What did you learn?
 
Yes. I’m very fortunate to still have a full head of hair.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For 300 years, America has been under assault, the enemy silent, unseen. In the august halls of the Ivy League, a scholar uncovers shocking evidence of an unimaginable betrayal. Professor Erika Carr uncovers a Revolutionary era espionage report, lost for centuries in a cache of Alexander Hamilton's private documents. Dr. Carr is stunned when she discovers the intelligence reports were authored by Paul Revere. A clue hidden within the message suggests a second missive exists, waiting to be found. Parker Chase joins her on a journey that leads to astonishing revelations about a centuries old conspiracy to destroy American independence. On Revere's trail, they are attacked by a murderous syndicate of international powerbrokers intent on silencing them forever. Running for their lives, Parker and Erika must outwit an invisible enemy while unraveling a conspiracy that stretches from the morally bankrupt halls of Wall Street to oil-soaked sands in the Middle East. Locked in a struggle for their lives, they fight to reveal an unthinkable secret, the fate of a nation hanging in the balance.


 




Andrew Clawson is the author of two books, A Patriot's Betrayal and The Crowns Vengeance.

He lives in Pennsylvania, where he enjoys reading works of fiction and writing as much as possible.

You can learn more about Andrew and his upcoming novels at his website, andrewclawson.com.

Blog  |  Goodreads  |  Facebook


 
 

No comments: