Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Rock My World by Sharisse Coulter: Interview: Orangeberry Tour Stop

 

 



 


Welcome Sharisse. Thanks for taking this time to visit. I'm excited to find out a little about you. 
 
 
Tell us a bit about your family. I’m originally from Lake Tahoe but went to grad school in Australia, where I met my husband (a musician). We’ve been married for eight years now and have a four-year old son.


What is your favorite quote, by whom, and why? It’s a proverb: “This too shall pass.” My grandmother used to say it all the time and I like that it applies to every situation, good or bad. It’s a great reminder that nothing bad lasts forever and that everything good deserves to be appreciated in the moment.


How has your upbringing influenced your writing? I grew up in the mountains and spent a great deal of time outside, playing sports. I learned a lot about pushing through the difficult times in order to achieve something I was working for and I think that mentality is what got me through my first draft.


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? I’ve loved stories and reading since I was two years old. I can’t remember a time I wasn’t interested in writing, but for a long time I was intimidated by all the wonderful writers I admired, worried I could never be good enough to compare.


What genre are you most comfortable writing? Contemporary women’s fiction. I discovered my natural writing voice suits the genre and, as an added bonus, I am my own demographic. I find it easier to explore because I know what I wish I could be reading, and if I can’t find it, I write it.


What inspired you to write your first book? ROCK MY WORLD is my first book, and it started with the idea of Jenna and Alex, two of my main characters. They rattled around in my imagination for a couple years aimlessly, until finally, a year after having my son, I was struck by sudden inspiration and knew their story.


Did writing this book teach you anything and what was it? Absolutely! The biggest lesson I learned was that there is nothing separating me from my biggest influences other than my own self-belief and determination. They, just like me, had to sit down and do the work in order to learn their stories, characters, and find their voice. It’s a decision one makes—to be a writer. Not a predetermined fate.


Can you tell us about your main character? Sure! Jenna Jax-Anders is the daughter of the legendary rocker, Shawn Jax. She grew up in Los Angeles amongst an elite crowd, of which she reigned as queen bee until she got knocked up her senior year of high school. Stripped of her burgeoning modeling career and social status, she made it through with a little help from her best friend, Airika, and baby daddy, Alex. She married Alex and they had a baby girl, Felicity. From the outside, it looked like she had it all: hot husband, beautiful baby, cute house, trust fund. But cutting her adolescence short meant she never had to make it on her own. She never learned who she was or how to define herself except through her role to others: wife, daughter, mother, best friend. At thirty-four, she has to do what most of us do at eighteen: figure out who she is and what she wants in life.


How did you develop your plot and characters? I first thought about my main characters, so I started off sketching them out in my mind. I asked myself what they would look like, what music they’d listen to, where they’d shop, what their houses would look like. Some of that was based in procrastination, but mostly it was a good way to learn how to think like them. Once I could think like them, I knew how they’d react to different circumstances and just tried to write their actions and reactions as honestly as I could.


Who designed the cover? I did.


Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? If my readers could walk away with one message I would hope that it would be to make the effort to find out who you are. No matter your upbringing or circumstances, in order to be happy, we all have to answer that question, if only for ourselves.
 


 

 
 
Jenna Jax-Anders hit rock bottom in high school. Or so she thought. From rock star heiress to knocked-up has been, she turned it all around, marrying the punk-rock-baby-daddy love-of-her-life. The perfect Hollywood fairytale. Until the day she walked in on him kissing her best friend.

As she struggles to find herself and redefine the world around her, she faces the challenges of raising her over-achieving teenage daughter, the heartbreak of losing her best friend (backstabbing aside), and emerging from the shadows of two famous last names to find her own identity. Oh, there’s also the tiny issue of her husband’s record label, backed by an anonymous mogul whose morally ambiguous creative direction may ruin them all.

But she doesn’t know about that yet.

 

 
 
Lee Coulter played music in his bedroom. Sharisse earned her masters in Anthropology. Then they met. She told him he should play his songs to people. They got married. He started playing music full time. They made music videos together. They had a son and named him Kai. She began writing a novel about love and friendship in the music world. She bounced ideas off Lee – for two years. Lee started to get national radio play on Sirius XM. Sharisse finished her novel. They decided they wanted to visit you. Kai likes RVs. And so began their 2013 U.S. Tour.

Between the two of them, here are some credits.
  • 1 three year old son.
  • 2 TEDx Presentations.
  • 1 Sirius XM Coffee House “Discovery of 2011″.
  • 2 nationalities.
  • Lived on 4 continents.
  • 3 college degrees.
  • 1 debut novel.
  • 2 songs currently in rotation on Sirius XM’s songwriter channel, The Coffee House.
  • 2 albums on iTunes.
  • 57000+ Youtube views.
  • 8 years of living off creativity.
 
 
 
Next Few Stops
 
13th February – Guest Post & Book Feature at Live to Read
14th February – Author Interview at Tribute Books
15th February – Author Interview, Guest Post & Book Feature at Blkosiner’s Blog
16th February – Guest Post & Book Feature at
17th February – Book Review at Gimme the Scoop
18th February – Book Review at Quality Reads UK
 
 
 
 


Post a Comment