Thursday, February 14, 2013

Price of Justice by Alan Brenham : Character Interview

 



 
In my novel, Price of Justice, I created a protagonist named Jason Scarsdale and gave him a job as a detective with the Austin Police Department. Today he has agreed to an interview about his role in Price of Justice.                          

Brenham: Good afternoon, Detective. From your accent, I’m assuming you were born and raised in Texas. Did I guess that correctly?

Scarsdale:  Yes, I was born in Midland, Texas, and grew up in Ft. Worth.

Brenham: Do you enjoy working for the Austin Police Department?

Scarsdale: It has its moments.

Brenham: Meaning what exactly? That you want to work somewhere else?

Scarsdale: Not necessarily. You won’t beat the pay plus the APD people, the rank and file officers and sergeants . . . and some of the civilians, they are first-rate.

Brenham: And the higher ranking members are not?

Scarsdale: There are a few upper echelon supervisors who are class acts. I don’t want to go beyond that if you don’t mind.

Brenham: Sure. So if you did go somewhere else to work, where would it be?

Scarsdale: Texas Rangers would be great but, now, one has to be a trooper for a number of years before applying for Ranger. So the FBI would be my choice. They have investigative responsibility for a long list of crimes, plus some are posted overseas.

Brenham: How would you describe yourself in two or three words?

Scarsdale: Intelligent and a good father. Oh, sorry, that's five words.

Brenham: Ah yes, father. What was it like having a five-year old daughter to raise on your own?

Scarsdale: After I got to know her better . . . I wasted those first five years of her life being anything but a good father . . . she’s a handful. So much fun to be around. She has more questions about things than any two detectives combined . . . and she's a very considerate young lady.

Brenham: Speaking of ladies, did you enjoy working with Dani Mueller?

Scarsdale: Dani was a very special lady. She definitely had her own agenda and yes, I most definitely enjoyed working with and getting to know her. I just wish things had ended differently in Price of Justice. But, you’re the one calling the shots.

Brenham: Would it make you feel better if I told you a sequel to Price of Justice is in the works?

Scarsdale: Yes, it would. I’d like to make one request . . . for Shannon's sake. She needs a mother-figure. Her overwhelming preference is Dani. Do you think you could see your way to doing that?

Brenham: I won’t promise but in the same breath, I won’t say no either. Getting back to the interview, did you know a few readers posted reviews saying they really liked you in Price of Justice?

Scarsdale: Really? Then the dye is cast . . . you have to publish a sequel soon.

Brenham:  I’m working on it but I have another novel to finish first.

Scarsdale: Making someone else's life difficult? Who’s the unlucky person?

Brenham: Detective Matt Brady. He’s with a smaller department  . . . Temple, Texas. I believe you’re familiar with that department.

Scarsdale: Yes, I am and I know you don’t want me to go into any details so . . . what’s the title?

Brenham:  The title is Cornered.

Scarsdale: What’s the story line for Brady?

Brenham: Missing persons. Now, back to Price of Justice, do you want to work sex crimes again?

Scarsdale:  Hell no. I like working homicides.

Brenham:  Would you like to be teamed up with Dani again?

Scarsdale:  Does a cat have a tail? But the bottom line is you’ll do whatever you want and Dani, Shannon and I won’t have a choice.

Brenham:  What’s one thing you’d like to have happen to you in the next novel?

Scarsdale: Catch the bad guys quickly and spend the rest of the time with Shannon at Disney World . . . with Dani too, if that’s in the cards or should I say manuscript.

Brenham:  Okay, our time is up. I want to thank you for stopping by. Is there anything you’d like to say to the readers?

Scarsdale: Yes, I paid a high price in your novel and I’m glad it’s finished. Hope to see ya'll again when the sequel comes out.
 
 


 
 
Price of Justice is a story about loss, revenge and second chances. This thriller follows a widowed police detective, Jason Scarsdale who, while trying to raise a young daughter while solving two murders, unwittingly befriends a grieving mother secretly bent on murderous revenge, drawing him into a web of malice that teaches him the value of breaking the rules. Then, when he thought things couldn't get any worse, they did.
 
 
 
 


 
I served as a law enforcement officer before earning a law degree from Baylor University and worked as a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney for twenty-two years. My travels took me to several European and Middle Eastern countries, Alaska and almost every island in the Caribbean. While contracted to US military forces, I resided in Berlin, Germany for two years. My wife, Lillian, and I currently live in the Austin, Texas area.


I use the pen name of Alan Brenham for my novels.

 

 Website   |  Facebook  |  Twitter
 

 



No comments: