Friday, February 15, 2013

Emily Castles Mystery Series by Helen Smith: Character Interview

 
 



 
Interview with Emily Castles, a twenty-six-year-old
Londoner who features in the Emily Castles Mystery Series.

 

What was the scariest moment of your life?

I was invited to a strange party in a big house at the end of my street on bonfire night and I ended up trapped in a cellar! I was pretty sure I had seen a murder but no one would believe me. I had my suspicions about who was responsible, and that put me in danger. Being in the cellar was really scary but everything turned out OK. Now I have a reputation among my friends for solving mysteries. That adventure has been written up in a story called Three Sisters.

 

What book are you reading now?

I’m reading a book by the famous romance author Morgana Blakely. She’s the aunt of Piers Blakely, a man who lives over the road from me with his wife Victoria and their children. Victoria runs a local stage school called Showstoppers. I got mixed up with some very strange goings-on there recently! Morgana was there to hand out prizes at the end-of-term show. She was impressed by my resourcefulness and she has just called me to ask her to help out at a romance authors’ convention in Bloomsbury, London. An invitation has just gone out to all the romance authors and bloggers who will be attending. Even though I have to work while I’m there, I’m looking forward to staying in a fancy hotel.  It should be quite a relaxing weekend.

 

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up

It changed quite often, of course. But for a long time I wanted to be a cowgirl in America, riding across the plains on a horse and camping out under the stars at night. I had never been to America but I watched a lot of cowboy films. I suppose I must have liked the idea of a life of freedom and fresh air. I don’t know how I ended up doing a series of temporary jobs in offices in London.

 

If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?

I thought I knew the identity of the murderer at the party I told you about—the one in the big house at the end of my street—as soon as I started investigating.  It turned out I was wrong. I’d like to see this person again and apologise about forming the wrong impression so quickly. But what are the chances we’ll run into each other again?

 

Who should play you in a film? 

People have told me I look like Carey Mulligan as we both have short hair and dimples. She’s a talented actress with a mischievous expression and we’re about the same age. I’d love to see her play me in a film. But I live quite a quiet, boring life, going to work and then coming home to my little flat in Brixton, south London. No one’s ever going to make a film about me!

 

What would we find under your bed?

My dog Jessie died recently. She’d had a long and happy life and she died peacefully in my arms, but of course I was really sad when it happened. I still have her red leather collar with her name-tag on it, and I haven’t been able to throw it away. I stored it away under the bed and sometimes I feel that she’s still there, keeping me company.

 

What makes you happy?

I like to look back on my day and feel that it hasn’t been wasted; that I have done something useful or interesting or helpful or fun.  That’s one of the reasons I like spending time with my friend and neighbor, Dr. Muriel Crowther. She’s twice my age and rather eccentric. But things are never boring when she’s around.

 

What one word best describes you?

Tenacious.





 
 
 

Three Sisters and Showstoppers by Helen Smith

Three Sisters and Showstoppers are two novella-length stories in the Emily Castles mystery series. The first full-length novel, Invitation to Die, will be published by Thomas & Mercer in October 2013.

The Emily Castles mystery series is set in present-day London. It features twenty-six-year-old Londoner Emily Castles and her neighbor, eccentric philosophy professor Dr. Muriel Crowther. In Three Sisters, Emily goes to a party in a big house at the end of her street. She's sure she witnesses a murder, but no one will believe her. She teams up with Dr. Muriel to investigate.

In Showstoppers, Emily helps out at a local stage school run by her neighbor, Victoria. Soon she's mixed up in a blackmail plot and two deaths. Emily and Dr. Muriel team up to prevent further a massacre live on stage during the end of term show.



Praise for the Emily Castles Mystery Series

Fast-paced, funny, and mysterious... Helen Smith is a master story-teller.
~Socrates Book Reviews

It grips you from the very beginning.
~Babs Books Bistro

Bright, colorful and full of surprises.
~Amazon Vine Reviewer

Fast-paced and unusual, I highly recommend this one.
~Eva’s Sanctuary


Praise for Helen Smith

Smith is gin-and-tonic funny.
~The Booklist



Purchase









Author Helen Smith

Helen Smith is a novelist and playwright who lives in London. She's the author of bestselling cult novels Alison Wonderland, Being Light and The Miracle Inspector as well as the Emily Castles Mystery Series.



Amazon * Facebook *  Twitter * Blog






Do you want to be one of the first to know when my new books are published? Opt in to an email alert here. 

 







Tour Schedule






 Tour Giveaway 10 winners will each receive a Kindle Ebook copy of
 Showstoppers & Three Sisiters
Ends 2/28/13






1 comment:

Helen Smith said...

Thanks for posting the interview with Emily and hosting the giveaway, Laurie.

Have a good weekend
Helen